ADVERTISEMENT

2016 PREDICTION

GS194

Two Year Starter
Jan 22, 2015
Upstate owns trophy until proven otherwise!
Summerville - 3 seniors in the class of 2015 with one being a 5 yr starter and another a 3 yr starter will be missed. However, the 2016 version could be better than this year. They will be lead by 2 Coll of Char and a Coker commit as well as the CF who is very athletic and becoming a tough out. Pitcher/Catcher combo will rival any I have seen in the state who will still be in high school in 2016. Still must establish the #2 pitcher as the starter threw virtually every inning this year.
Key to success; stay healthy (very little varsity experience on bench), QAB's from the 3 new starters and establishing solid number 2 pitcher.
Prediction; Summerville takes lower state and brings state championship trophy to lower state.
May sound like a broken record, but this is how I see it.

Every year the same is said for Summerville teams, probably based on previous performances of years gone by. while I will always support the Greenwave, 'broken records' which connotes vinyl cannot be adequately repaired. I hope I am wrong, but I also am a realist and expect more of the same until proven wrong.

I will settle for more of the same from the softball program. May be a broken record, but I think most coaches in state would be happy to have the last 6 yrs (probably longer) of Ville Softball on their resume. 5 of last 6 yrs made it to final 4 in state. No ring yet, but I am sure they will keep working trying to get one.
I agree with your overall assesment of Ville sports. IMO difference is softball is getting closer to realizing potential than the other sports who seem to have tons of talent, but normally make quick exits from the playoffs.

Upstate owns trophy until proven otherwise!
Summerville - 3 seniors in the class of 2015 with one being a 5 yr starter and another a 3 yr starter will be missed. However, the 2016 version could be better than this year. They will be lead by 2 Coll of Char and a Coker commit as well as the CF who is very athletic and becoming a tough out. Pitcher/Catcher combo will rival any I have seen in the state who will still be in high school in 2016. Still must establish the #2 pitcher as the starter threw virtually every inning this year.
Key to success; stay healthy (very little varsity experience on bench), QAB's from the 3 new starters and establishing solid number 2 pitcher.
Prediction; Summerville takes lower state and brings state championship trophy to lower state.
May sound like a broken record, but this is how I see it.
If North Augusta improves over last season I could see them at the end. NA didn't have a Sr on the roster this year. Boiling Springs has pitching back and will always reload position players.

Last edited:
IMHO Fort Mill should have best team pitching in state next year.
2 future d1 pitchers (1 committed) returning and both just in 10/9 grade in 2016.
Gotta think the 250k this season goes near 300k next year or higher.

Lost just 1 pos player.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogs1980
Summerville has been knocking for a while now. All it takes is a special season for all the pieces to fit and it falls your way. There is something to be said to be near the top year in and year out.

It is how great programs are built, and sure hope The Summerville Green Wave keeps it up. Something to be proud of.

Reactions: tcollie
Having spent the weekend watching high school softball, I will tell my thoughts, 4A only.

For the lower state who wants a chance, this is the year. The softball world has gotten so fragmented, it is so difficult to figure out who has what.

There does not seem to be a dominant team in the upstate this year.

Teams brought up. Byrnes, has a bunch of home grown position players, possibly the states best, is super young in the circle. Can they elevate? Fort Mill has a bunch of pitching in the circle, can they swing the bat? Gaffney has a pitcher as does Fort Mill, but possibly the same problem .. Bats? What is Easley doing ... To far away, but remember past rumblings.

Boiling Springs is bringing what they always seem to bring. Senior Pitcher McKenna Quinn is carrying the torch. Junior Logan Webb is hitting the ball as long as any past bulldog. Look at the numbers. Junior Calli Richards is playing great infield, and hitting the ball deep.

But I await other who want to say what they have.

Last edited:
Easley is off to a good start after replacing 2 seniors, one of which was 6 yr starting catcher Kelsey Garrett & 3 transfers. Won both scrimmages against Pendleton & TR. Sophomore Isabel Durham, returning from ACL surgery & Junior Hunter Everett are pitching well. Isabel Durham has also hit 2 home runs. Most of the varsity have travel ball experience. It's early but hopeful for a good season for the Green Wave.
Enjoy all the updates on here, as a lurker for some time:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BS100
bats are a problem at FM...?
Because you saw FM and BS tie each other 0-0 in Lugoff on 40 degree day?
FM beat a much improved Southpoint team 17-0 last week. Tied a stacked Piedmont team 2-2 (likely best team in NC) also.

Having spent the weekend watching high school softball, I will tell my thoughts, 4A only.

For the lower state who wants a chance, this is the year. The softball world has gotten so fragmented, it is so difficult to figure out who has what.

Teams brought up. Byrnes, has a bunch of home grown position players, possibly the states best, is super young in the circle. Can they elevate? Fort Mill has a bunch of pitching in the circle, can they swing the bat? Gaffney has a pitcher as does Fort Mill, but possibly the same problem .. Bats? What is Easley doing ... To far away, but remember past rumblings.

Boiling Springs is bringing what they always seem to bring. Senior Pitcher McKenna Quinn is carrying the torch. Junior Logan Webb is hitting the ball as long as any past bulldog. Look at the numbers. Junior Calli Richards is playing great infield, and hitting the ball deep.

Last edited:
I do not get around in HS near as much as the past. So no, I was not there.

A no hitter is a no hitter though.

Fort Mill SC is definitely in the mix. NC has a bunch of great teams, like last years highest nationally ranked NC team Enka, which just visited, with a winning scrimmage SC result. The SC State must truly understand (a 1st) and appreciate this.

Enka NC, is truly a great softball town. We visited last year and has a beautiful mountain type lake and glorious blue collar jobs. Other than our SC town, is where every young lady softball player should be grown, wonderful town. They are on our regular season schedule, have a state of the art HS field. Last year they finished 15th in the nation. #1 in North Carolina. Very thankful folks. We thank them.

All the states teams worry about hitting. Our team is young in a lot of places. Need to have some of these step up to the plate and deliver to reach the goal. For any HS team needs to be 9 deep at the plate to get there.

But I am not one to give up on any team/player early. Have seen too many youngsters step up to the plate on the big stage, with the bright lights on, to help get a good team over the top.

You think FM is there. I probably miss spoke. I apologize for that. But I say no one is there. Play is too early, and no team in the Upstate seems to be already there, Including us.

Last edited:
bats are a problem at FM...?
Because you saw FM and BS tie each other 0-0 in Lugoff on 40 degree day?
FM beat a much improved Southpoint team 17-0 last week. Tied a stacked Piedmont team 2-2 (likely best team in NC) also.
Having not seen the game and it was 0-0 you could read into that both teams have a problem with hitting good pitching. This is normally the time of year the hitters feast on pitchers. 40 degree weather contrary to what some believe is great hitting weather. It can be the death of some bats but the softballs compression gets harder in cooler temps and it will fly. Balls will travel further in Feb/March than they will in May. If the wind was blowing in the hitters face I will agree. I give the pitchers credit on a shutout because its hard being great this early.

What are your thoughts on them?
Since I stirred it up with my above post NA has to prove they can hit top pitchers. They are talented in the circle. If they hit and have no key injuries they will be a factor in the playoffs.

Having not seen the game and it was 0-0 you could read into that both teams have a problem with hitting good pitching. This is normally the time of year the hitters feast on pitchers. 40 degree weather contrary to what some believe is great hitting weather. It can be the death of some bats but the softballs compression gets harder in cooler temps and it will fly. Balls will travel further in Feb/March than they will in May. If the wind was blowing in the hitters face I will agree. I give the pitchers credit on a shutout because its hard being great this early.
Very much true about the compression and if the bats can stand it you will see a lot of balls flying out of the park.

Reactions: NA_JACKET
In my college and pro career, day 1 of seeing live pitching after 4 month break is tough for timing. But you probably know more about it.

Most teams first weeks back don't ever take BP they work on tracking and take cuts off of tees. But most of these high school girls play travel up until the season starts so they don't really take 4 months off.

In my college and pro career, day 1 of seeing live pitching after 4 month break is tough for timing. But you probably know more about it.
How stupid of me to think my rec ball past makes me very smart WOW. I do track pitchers very closely though in college and high school and the good ones get even better as the year goes. Here is an example from 2/26/16 Georgia 14 UCLA 6. I will make you a friendly bet right now if they face in post season the score wont be half that.

Reactions: Noles0509
To get us back on track. Very early and have not seen many teams, but for what it is worth. For the low country;
Ashley Ridge - 4th coach in as many years. They get plenty of talent and have the support, but the revolving door of coaches seems to hold them back. They will be as good as their talent and their first year head coach.
Colleton County - Pitcher has moved on and it looks like it could be a rebuilding year for the Cougars.
Fort Dorchester - Another young coach who brought on knowledgeable assistant. I expect them to be young again, but to surprise some teams if the girls buy in.
Hanahan - Won pre season tournament so they appear ready to have a good season and push deep into the playoffs. Impressive young coach.
Summerville - They will be very good up the middle; P, C, SS and CF will all play coll ball. P, C are C of C bound. Remainder of squad is unproven and will have to really step up to provide the support the seniors have been accustomed to. Have looked very average in pre season as this is not the Summerville type team we are accustomed to seeing.
Wando - As always, lots of talent but have yet to be able to make it past Summerville in the playoffs.
Prediction - State champion comes from upper state. I thought the upper state opened the door for Summerville to steal a championship last year but it was not to be. Summerville will contend for lower state if they are healthy and younger players contribute QABs. If not now, not sure when it will happen for the Ville.

Last edited:
Reactions: BS100 and NA_JACKET
Bench warmer I agree with a lot of your views with a few slight changes. Ashley Ridge is going to surprise everyone and knock off Summerville. They a solid team 1-9 and have a strong D1 pitcher to take them all the way. You left out Bluffton but you may not have watched them. They will surprise a lot of teams this year and on any given day can steal a game from Ashley Ridge and or Summerville. They take 3rd in region. Hannah very talented team and have strong chance to take state. Wando was missing a few players this past weekend do to Flu but will be a tough team to beat.
Fort D. May steal a game here or there from 1 of the big boys but just don't have a strong enough team to finish in top 3.
CC is in major rebuild. Just don't have pitching to compete in region play.

Reactions: gotgrs and BS100
Every year I think AR is going to right the ship. I don't doubt they can win the region, but I think it will be on raw talent this season. Tough to watch the talent pass through there and the coaches continue to change. You are correct, have not seen Bluffton yet. History tells me they will be tough at the plate and on D, but not sure if they have someone in the circle to push deep. Will stick with Summerville as my choice.

Thank you so much for the low country view. The race seems to be wide open.

To the mudslinging with bats which may have started here.

This is high school softball. Not MLB, not college softball. My point is that many teams have youngsters at the 2nd half of the line up. It is the first time for them on the big stage. Some will elevate and become contributing hitters. A few will elevate and become stars right before our very eyes!!

It is the teams and players who elevate during their first go around which can and will determine the ultimate outcome. We know the established stars. It can become a wash. It is the future stars we want to see.

In a nutshell. The absolute beauty of high school softball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noles0509
How stupid of me to think my rec ball past makes me very smart WOW. I do track pitchers very closely though in college and high school and the good ones get even better as the year goes. Here is an example from 2/26/16 Georgia 14 UCLA 6. I will make you a friendly bet right now if they face in post season the score wont be half that.
You don't sound friendly...
But ok
Message boards. Gotta love em ;)

Last edited:
Most teams first weeks back don't ever take BP they work on tracking and take cuts off of tees. But most of these high school girls play travel up until the season starts so they don't really take 4 months off.
You guys are cracking me up.

Jacket Is friendly. As a coach of mine for a very short period of time, she guided her correctly.

She says what she means. Maybe the delivery could be worked on. Even in that I have seen growth.

In softball tho, maybe it is best to hear an unfiltered opinion. For as we all know on the ball field, after a length of time, words become steeped in a form of double talk, political correctness. There is something good to be said for that.

Yet sometimes we all need to hear the simple truth. It all is an opinion and a message board. No reason to take offense.

As a non participating softball contributor, the role to sometimes play is to put words together to help elevate the game of softball in SC.

NA Jacket has done her part both on and off the field. Yes, it is just a message board. But to the powerful softball people, it gets read.

Jacket and I have diametrically opposed positions. It is the nature of this game. But in that public and private conversation, both of us have understood that the ultimate goal is to behave in a manner to always elevate the game of softball in South Carolina. When you know someone who has the same goals, yet operating from the opposite track. I respect the contribution,

Last edited:
Jacket Is friendly. As a coach of mine for a very short period of time, she guided her correctly.

She says what she means. Maybe the delivery could be worked on. Even in that I have seen growth.

In softball tho, maybe it is best to hear an unfiltered opinion. For as we all know on the ball field, after a length of time, words become steeped in a form of double talk, political correctness. There is something good to be said for that.

Yet sometimes we all need to hear the simple truth. It all is an opinion and a message board. No reason to take offense.

As a non participating softball contributor, the role to sometimes play is to put words together to help elevate the game of softball in SC.

NA Jacket has done her part both on and off the field. Yes, it is just a message board. But to the powerful softball people, it gets read.

Jacket and I have diametrically opposed positions. It is the nature of this game. But in that public and private conversation, both of us have understood that the ultimate goal is to behave in a manner to always elevate the game of softball in South Carolina. When you know someone who has the same goals, yet operating from the opposite track. I respect the contribution,
You may have me confused with Dana. I can assure you though my comments may seem agenda driven they are more about what I have seen and learned from people that are far smarter than me. NAJacket is a guy unless Brice Jenner has taken my body without permission. I will say just like Dana I have a passion for the game and only wanted to help the game of softball instate. My involvement with Carolina Elite is more behind the scenes and more part time than it use to be. Maybe that will change when my own kids are graduated this year. I still talk with college and high school coaches. I also try and help kids find travel teams and in some cases college. Some times I stir the pot here just to get people involved. Not really to make them mad but make them think. When I found this board around 11 years ago there were many people that posted here. Region 2 in the upstate especially. As their kids graduated high school they left the board. My daughter is a Sr in college and I am still hanging around with hope the new group of parents will get on here and start talking about their school, players etc...

Reactions: Easley727
561907_3330125590223_829693916_n.jpg
You may have me confused with Dana. I can assure you though my comments may seem agenda driven they are more about what I have seen and learned from people that are far smarter than me. NAJacket is a guy unless Brice Jenner has taken my body without permission. I will say just like Dana I have a passion for the game and only wanted to help the game of softball instate. My involvement with Carolina Elite is more behind the scenes and more part time than it use to be. Maybe that will change when my own kids are graduated this year. I still talk with college and high school coaches. I also try and help kids find travel teams and in some cases college. Some times I stir the pot here just to get people involved. Not really to make them mad but make them think. When I found this board around 11 years ago there were many people that posted here. Region 2 in the upstate especially. As their kids graduated high school they left the board. My daughter is a Sr in college and I am still hanging around with hope the new group of parents will get on here and start talking about their school, players etc...
My daughter was Tony's first commit for Carolina Elite when he came here from California. Shortly after we added Alaynie Page from your school. I am proud that all of these young ladies but 2 ended up playing in college. 2 dropped softball pretty early. The pic they were a 12U team playing 16U tourney in Atlanta finishing second after being together only two weeks. Sorry just went down memory lane on yall!

Last edited:
Summerville will/should jump back on top, they are in a slump right now for what ever reason. Ash Ridge 'should' win it this year with the large amount of upperclassmen all which I'm pretty sure have committed to play college ball... anyone know why they can't keep a coach?
CC will hurt with the loss of their pitcher. Blufton should fight back and get it back together after last years very rough season they have a lot of talent. Ft. D seems scrappy but they just can never seem to finish.

As for AR coach, last one moved away with husband for career opportunity, one prior was probably not a great hire, prior to that, coach stayed for several seasons and seemed to have program on right track but not sure why she finally left. Current coach is in first year. They have a new AD, but I do not think it is a coach vs administration type situation as other programs at AR seem to have coaching stability.

Reactions: PlateCleaner
well said NA..the "confused with Dana" starting my day off right..with a laugh :)

How is TN doing. Hearing/reading good things. Terrific girl/woman. Keep watch local.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caligirl10

Gaffney has a left hand batter that can flat out crush it. She hit a 3 run walkoff on the rebels during my daughters jv season and I was at their playoff game against Boiling Springs last year and she hit a bomb off of Quinn too. sweet swing

How is TN doing. Hearing/reading good things. Terrific girl/woman. Keep watch local.
it's a grind; it's a roller coaster; lots of growth and tough lessons. She is happy and that is all that really matters. She is surrounded by Christian teammates that help keep things in perspective for her. It is a whole 'nother world..but the same game:) Thank you for asking!!!!!

Similar here, at a much different (lessor) level. But many parallels as you describe. The biggest difference is each opportunity is just that. An opportunity. Try to make the best of it. If not work for another one. Everything is earned. Being a good teammate while waiting your turn is crucial.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Matti Moss for her performance yesterday, to come off the bench in the bottom of the first, for the #17 TN Volenteers, and shut down the #10 GA Bulldogs, for the win.

Her enthusiasm, and pitching ability, is contagious. Truly a special moment for South Carolina softball.

Her class is still young. But Matti, as a freshman, is in the lead and so fun to watch it play out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT