ADVERTISEMENT

A Positive Thread....

Mar 31, 2017
I have read several negative threads on here and thought I would post something positive. Hope others will share some cool stories.
I remember when Bailey started wrestling his first tournament was at Byrnes High and he was in the 3rd grade. I am a dad that has no wrestling background but I was all he had to coach him that day. I knew so little that I was watching others warm up and instructing Bailey to do as they were. He was nervous and I was scared for him. A coach from White Knoll who had never met us before walked up and offered to show Bailey a few things. Of course we listened. Most of the things he showed us didn't stick but the impression he made did. Hats off to Coach Burris from White Knoll. He probably doesn't remember. I'm sure he has helped thousands of kids in his life but we remember. Showed us a positive side of wrestling and as you can see, we stuck around!!

Just trying to change the tone of the board with a positive post!!

I have read several negative threads on here and thought I would post something positive. Hope others will share some cool stories.
I remember when Bailey started wrestling his first tournament was at Byrnes High and he was in the 3rd grade. I am a dad that has no wrestling background but I was all he had to coach him that day. I knew so little that I was watching others warm up and instructing Bailey to do as they were. He was nervous and I was scared for him. A coach from White Knoll who had never met us before walked up and offered to show Bailey a few things. Of course we listened. Most of the things he showed us didn't stick but the impression he made did. Hats off to Coach Burris from White Knoll. He probably doesn't remember. I'm sure he has helped thousands of kids in his life but we remember. Showed us a positive side of wrestling and as you can see, we stuck around!!

Just trying to change the tone of the board with a positive post!!

Agreed totally. I also don't come from a wrestling background. We have had very similar experiences. My kid has been put up at near strangers houses, offered to travel with some of the nicest & most generous people. Coach Matt Hall has jumped in and coached when we didn't have a coach as well. In the beginning it seemed like everywhere we went, I was meeting Jacob's new best friends, only to find out he just met them the week prior. The wrestling community, despite lots of disagreements on this board, is the most welcoming bunch of folks I've been around. The Folks at West Oak always feel like cousins I haven't seen in a while. Our cross town rivals are all best buddies, once the dual is over. Let's keep the positive going. Thanks Jason.

Jason, thanks for starting a positive thread. After the last few months of negativity, I lost interest. Some good intentions by many I know but some of the posts got ugly.

I have only been in the SC wrestling scene for the past 5 years as my son only expressed interest after he finished 8th grade. Each year I meet more top notch people. And each year as we wrestled off season we got to know our SC breatheren better at VA Beach, S32, and other events like Flo Eastern and Honey Badger, plus some good Clubs Luke Hard Rock.

Speaking of Hard Rock, Coach Anthony Esposito from Hillcrest will always standout to me. The first year Nic wrestled varsity as a freshman, he was unknown to most. We went to Hillcrest for a tourney and Nic made an impression. Mr. Esposito came up after the tourney and complimented Nic to me and him directly and talked about their FS/Greco club and extended an invigoration. Very positive moment. A brotherly gesture by a class act.

This is all great stuff. Here's another positive thread that Eaglehater is going to really hate. There's been a lot of comments about coaches at Eastside not giving a rip after the kids leave. As a part of the Eastside family since the 80's- I can assure anyone out there not associated with the program that it is definitely a family. When the wrestling room was dedicated to Coach Coles this year - over 40 alumni showed up to surprise him.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/lon...2017/04/11/eastside-high-wrestling/100190656/

Reactions: darth vomitus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT