ADVERTISEMENT

AAAA PLAYOFF RESULTS

Lancaster will play Midland Valley Fri.
Midland Valley beat BHP, not sure about score

BHP caught a tough break, their ace hurt her arm in the last game of the regular season and I don't think is able to throw right now. You would think that is Lancaster's to lose at this point.

Union County 11 ... Lancaster 3

Union bats come alive as the team pounded 15 hits.

P. Baily Betenbaugh tosses a complete game win.

Watch out for Wren (not sure if they won today), but they are the one team which was 4A last year, and stayed 4A this year. Have played terrific ball against top teams.

Last edited:
Oops!!!

What was NA class last year. 4A or 3A?

Great for NA. The 4A group is now super tough, in my humble opinion.

North Augusta gets the home town draw against Union County for the Upstate 4A lead.

Last edited:
Wren over Lancaster 4-1.
Congrats to Wren. Hope they win their way back to upper state title game.

NA's stats were pretty significant: 14 combined strikeouts vs. 2 for UC; more hits I believe than UC. Critical outs with bases loaded multiple times. NA had opportunities they just couldn't capitalize on...but overall a darn good game by two outstanding teams. Should they meet again latter part of the week, it should make for one of the better games of the season.

NA should have started Cockrell. Go with the better pitcher in big games. Union can flat out hit.
Something to ponder Heath's ERA until last night was zero. I know both of these young ladies personally so I wont debate who is best argument. I will say if I was the coach I wouldn't second guess using a pitcher with a zero ERA. Another point the UMP behind the plate is known to have a low strike zone and I thought Cockrell did a good job of using that as did Betenbaugh. I agree Union can hit.

In no way was I trying to discount what Heath accomplished this year. Cockrell had the better ERA last season in a much tougher region.
Regardless, if they get another chance at Union, they have to beat them twice. If any team can do it, NA can. However Union's coach does a very good job of getting his hitters ready for very good pitching every season. They handled Drotar two out of three seasons in the past. Gonna be some exciting ball.

Coaching is really hard. If you have the luxury of having two great pitchers, it can be most difficult to even get both on board.

Outside fans do not understand. It is a coaches decision, while watching for three months. If the pitcher wins, she is a hero. If not, the coach picked the wrong one.

Go figure.

College is different. As coaches go though pitchers on an as need basis, and is never questioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: LLPCOACH
Shacoria Bosket hits a walkoff grandslam in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs to win for NA. Great pitching by Cockrell and great defense as well.

Reactions: NA_JACKET
Hartsville 7- Berkeley 5
Does Hartsville and NA have enough gas left to win twice to reach the state finals? North Augusta played last night and will face Union this evening @ 6pm. Will have about a two hour drive to get to Timken ball field. No one here expects anything other than a well played game. Wish all these teams safe travels...

Just one other thought...Heard plate umpire tell a coach during one of the playoffs, "Coach, I want to go ahead and put you on notice that I will not tolerate your questioning balls and strikes. You coach, I'll call." Maybe that should be a part of the pregame officials and coaches discussion. You know- what will be allowed or not and what is expected. That particular game went without an interruption.

Hartsville has over achieved this season, with 2 starters not retuning for personal reasons and losing one of the best pitchers in SC high school history, turning to a pitcher who has never thrown a playoff pitch. They may not have enough gas, but they will not quit till the wheels stop rolling. Good Luck Foxes!
I have good friends on NA and Union best of Luck to both teams!

Reactions: llpmom
Hartsville over Lugoff-Elgin 6-4 in game one. Hartsville up 10-3 in game two in the 4th. Game is streaming on line at Kool102.7FM.

Union County takes game 1 over Hartsville at Hartsville 8 - 6. Game 2 in Union at Timken Complex on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Watford threw strikes, Union kids hit the ball. Betenbaugh with a hr in the 1st and Vinson a hr in the 2nd. Watford now 6-2 with a save in the Lower State Championship game has been solid for the foxes in the playoffs, like a lot of high school pitchers, that is not her primary position. Having never thrown a playoff pitch to closing out lower state in my opinion is pretty impressive. I never make excuses and I'm not one of those dads who constantly brag on there kid, I let the results speak for themselves. We lost to a very good Union team. Our girls did not Quit. Win or lose Wednesday I am proud of these girls no matter what, no one thought they had a shot and they proved them all wrong. We lost but the sun still came this morning and I love my kid whether she gets another hit or throws another pitch. Softball is not life. Proud Dad!
Cory Watford

To answer Noles: The score was 8-2 going into the bottom of the 7th. Hartsville happened! Like Cory says," Hartsville never quit". Union was in pretty much the same situation last year as Hartsville. Payton Martin out with ACL injury and surgery, Union's pitching fell to a 9th. grader along with Ashley Vinson.
Both Union and Hartsville are blessed with an abundance of talented players who will only get better with experience. Softball is not life, I agree, but it does serve as a platform for some mighty good life lessons: like "nothing is a given". A meaningful post, Cory.

Reactions: HHSLF
Union County wins 4A State Championship 5-2 over Hartsville. What a game! Hartsville was ahead of Union 2-1 going into the bottom of the 7th. Union gets several good hits and is able to tie the game up with one out. Two union players single and Ashley Vinson smacks out a three run homer to give Union the win. A couple of sloppy plays by Union in the 6th coupled with some excellent Hartsville coaching that caused two Union errors allowed Hartsville to get their second run. It looked bleakI

Great pitching from both teams. I guess we'll see you next year!

Congrats to Union.

Congrats to Hartsville.

You will find in life, there is little better than soaking in the excitement of super high level High School softball State championship play. The best in the nation.

It is the experience!

Only happens in high school. The emotion only happens here. Glad elliesmom has another stay, for sounds like this one approaches the game correctly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT