Bench Warmer
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2014
Academic Magnet High School football coach fired

Posted: Oct 20, 2014 9:23 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 21, 2014 8:28 AM EDT
By Kevin Bilodeau

Academic Magnet High School football coach fired

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Charleston County schools confirmed Monday evening that Academic Magnet head football coach Bud Walpole has been relieved of his duties with the football team. Although the county isn't giving a reason for the decision as of yet.

County athletic director David Spurlock said the county is planning on sending out a press release on Tuesday with more details.

Walpole was in the middle of his 10th year as the school's football coach and it was one of the most successful so far. It's been a season that has seen the Raptors put together a 6-2; those 6 wins are tied for the most in school history. He had put together a record of 29-70. But the last three seasons, things have really turned around for the Raptors as they've gone 15-14.

Walpole is being allowed to keep his position as a teacher at the school.

Although the school district won't yet say why Walpole was removed, it appears the decision had something to do with a post game tradition the team started doing after wins this season.
After winning their 1st game of the season back in September, the team smashed a watermelon in celebration. After winning their next game they began a tradition of smashing a watermelon after each win which continued for the team's 6 game win streak. Mike Miller, who's a member of the school board in Charleston, told Live 5 that a parent from an opposing school came to him and complained about the watermelon act and that the kids were making sounds like monkey's.

A current Raptors player emailed Live 5 Sports on Monday night and said the tradition started when some players bought a watermelon off a man selling them from the back of his truck on the way to a game. The team decided they would eat it if they won their game against Military Magnet. After the victory they smashed it open since the team didn't have a knife on the sideline.

Live 5 also spoke to one of the players parents in addition to a former player and an Academic Magnet student who all stood behind Coach Walpole. They each said on Thursday of last week, members of the Charleston school board went to the school and held meetings with the players on the football team for more than 3 hours. The team was asked whether the watermelon ritual had any racial undertones, which the kids denied.

Walpole was allowed to travel with the team to their game against Whale Branch last Friday, which they lost, but was told Monday that he was being relieved. The team members met with Superintendent Nancy McGinley later in the day and asked why their coach was fired. But they were not given a straight answer with one source saying McGinley told them the decision was "above [their] paygrade".

A petition was started on Change.org hoping that Walpole will be reinstated as the head coach. After only a few hours it had more than 400 signatures.

The current player who emailed Live 5 said about his now former coach "Coach Bud Walpole has been nothing but a caring supportive man to this team, even when we get absolutely destroyed on the football field, he only had positive and upbeat words for us during practice."

Academic Magnet Athletic Director Curt Hoffman sent a text to Live 5 Sports Tuesday morning saying "my focus right now is to help the players and coaches in any way I can, all matters concerning Bud Walpole are personnel matters and as such will not be commented on."

Attempts to reach Walpole were unsuccessful on Monday night.

Copyright 2014 WCSC. All rights reserved

I've never seen so much racial division in this country. Thanks to the media,political leaders, and indoctrination it will only get worse

Well I guess the super now looks like one of the bigger idiots in the state. And well deserved. Political correctness run amok. I fully expect in the near future for fried chicken to be banned because it is stereotypically associated with blacks of a bygone era.

In the meantime a state representative and the NAACP want the whole coaching staff fired and the kids season over because of a watermelon. How can people be such idiots.

http://m.live5news.com/live5news/db_330614/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=rb6OSbkv

Has anyone read the quote from the NAACP leader down there?

NAACP CHArleston president, Dot Scott: "All of those adults should ask themselves a simple question - would you take the same stance if an overwhelmingly black football team's "victory ritual" was to urinate on and then stomp a Confederate Flag into the dirt when they have defeated an overwhelmingly white football team?"

So... a watermelon is as symbolic to blacks as the Confederate flag is to whites. Um, I'm white and I could care less about the Confederate flag. I certainly understand it's historical relevance but I simply can't see the claim that it would somehow enrage white folks if someone stomped on that flag. I haven't found a white person yet who has admitted to me that they would be outraged or even angry about that. And let it be said that my NUMEORUS black friends are highly annoyed that this Dot Scott would imply that watermelons are somehow universally associated with them. If they were making "monkey noises" and drawing black-like caractures on the watermelons... now that would be more inappropiate, and quite frankly, just plain stupid.

I am white... I eat watermelon... I love fried chicken... and when I eat chicken, i use hot sauce. Get over it. It ain't a white-black thing. It's a personal preference thing.

Whatever the outcome, it seems they ALL could use a little "sensitivity training."

eek.r191677.gif

Maybe the NAACP guy should also ask for the resignation of everyone associated with the SC Watermelon Association too. I heard The Citadel also ate watermelons after practice. Oh the humanity!!! The world has crumbled and is in chaos! What can we do? Oh, what can we do? How I think of everything has changed now. I will boycott watermelons for the rest of my life.

I concur. maybe the name 'Tom' should be eliminated because it has racial connotations. I don't know what transpired with the team and their coach, but whatever it was probably didn't warrant firing the coach. Some type disciplinary action, but not firing. Soon there will be insufficent words left in the English language to construct a cogent sentence. It appears that the NAACP members will use any excuse to justify and enact federal legislation to support their cause, thanks to Holder and Obama. Also, common sense should prevail, not political correctness. I forgot, common sense may be racist.

As a non-minority and a WATERMELON LOVER- I am not bitter or do not feel slighted by the destruction of my FAVORITE FOOD!

chairshot.r191677.gif

Latest news - The Superintendent has resigned but will work until the end of the school year. I guess the ol two weeks notice is only for the little people.

The big issue is the kids we're pulled out of class for up to 4 hours and we're questioned behind closed doors with no representation and we're grilled on questions of did they participate and did they fondle the watermelon.
And they didn't even contact the parents.
Secondly the NAACP has turned this into a media circus because they find celebration over a broken watermelon is offensive to
African Americans.
They want the whole coaching staff fired and the kids season over.

Over a watermelon !!!!!!

Typical. Look at many political ads, and commentary on TV. In this politically correct world, race baiting is big business. About time to quit worrying abiut hurting everyone's feelings over the insignificant, and tell folks to get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT