ACF wins game 1

greenew2

Two Year Starter
Jan 25, 2010
3-0

Houser hit a HR
Loving winning Pitcher... If you have more details please post

From the Fort Mill Side

Fort Mill's third SP Timmy Kallal took the mound tonight. He pitched 5 innings while allowing 3 earned runs while striking out 2 with 3 BB He also allowed 7 hits. He was relieved by Daniel Barfield who pitched the 6th and struck out all the batters he faced.

Fort Mill did scatter 6 hits but did not seem to be able to get any runs across. Andrew Tomasovich gave Fort Mill 2 hits and Preston Fry had Fort Mill's only extra base hit in a double.

Fort Mill hit .222 on the day striking out 9 times, while Ac Flora hit .333. Both of fort Mill's aces will be ready to go on Wednesday and Friday. Fort Mill needs to find ways to score on Wednesday or there season will be over.

Big game. Big crowd. Not too eventfull. Glad the lightning stayed in the distance. Four bright spots in the game:
1. Loving pitched very well as noted by Skools.
2. Houser did what he does best, hit HRs. Had one over left tonight and just missed one to center with the fielder making the catch with his back against the dead center wall. I think that was # 24 for this year.
3. The reliever Barfield came in to pitch the sixth and froze three Flora batters in a row with nasty curve balls for strikes.
4. The four umpires called a good game.

Falcons better be prepared for the fastball Wednesday in the upstate.
This post was edited on 5/15 1:33 AM by 2seamspin

Great win for Flora...but I will say I don't think Loving had his best outing. While he was obviously very effective, he didn't seem to be as sharp as I have seen him in the past...it's baseball I guess.

On the other hand, I think Flora will have a really tuff time getting their second win to capture the illusive State Championship.

Fort Mill's two guys left to throw will really challenge Flora's bats. It will all come down to how well Flora pitches (because I don't know who they are throwing in game 2) and whether those Flora boys will manufacture enough runs to win.

Im pretty sure flora still has Wallace who is 8-0 on the season. You dont get to the State Championship with one good pitcher.

Plenty of arms at AC Flora. Matt Wallace, Davis Funderburk and oh yeah that guy behind the plate ain't no slouch when he steps up on the mound.Way to go David on yet another team boosting bomb.Game two is going to be an awesome match-up.Fort Mill will be a different team also at Fort Mill with Tomasovich or Helvey on the mound.
This post was edited on 5/15 8:08 AM by Ball Hound

After seeing ACF twice this year, I think they will finish Wednesday. They are capable of scoring a lot of runs, and have the speed to manufacture them too if need be. It comes down to pitching and both teams have that. ACF speed on the basepaths and their coach putting pressure on FM defense I think will be the diffence.
Should be great baseball.

I'm a little leary on Flora handling the fastball ie. Helvey on Wednesday. They have struggled with guys around 90. If he comes out throwing well and gets in his 'zone' this may go to the neutral site for Friday. BTW, anybody know where that is?

I also have a lot of respect for the boys at DP and their analysis of games and players but I think they missed the boat with the write up on last weeks game of Flora vs Chapin that Houser ended with a walk off GS. I believe the commentator's remark concerning Houser on the write up was that he "needed to work on his pitch recognition". Wow. This is a kid that has been intentionally walked at every opportunity and still has a 400 something avg with around two dozen homeruns this season with the new bats. I don't think he's the one with the 'recognition problem'.

Amen 2seamspin.This kid is a "real" baseball player.Those guys are humorous at best sometime.
The game with Helvey pitching will be a different game. Watched him this year while up in Cary at USA complex.The fastball is live and has good run.Andy and the boys will put the pressure but if any young man in this state can handle it, he can.Gonna be a great game. Congrats to all that have made it to this game. Great season for them all.

~Seam~ You mentioned AC Flora's catcher missed hitting a 2nd HR to dead center that the Ft Mill defender caught with his back up against the wall. Was the Ft Mill player 35ft tall? That's roughly how high that wall is over at Flora. Didn't know FM had a kid that tall. Should be playing bball. He is wasting his time on the baseball diamond.

Just Kidding with ya 2S..Btw in all seriousness I must say I agree in-large part with DP on their analysis of ACF's Houser. He imo will have trouble in college hitting. He may adapt over time to the big-time upgrade of pitchers. Time will tell. I have seen Houser several times in HS against pitchers that throw off speed and hit spots. He struggles a good bit against "real" pitchers. A HS kid is only going to see so many "real pitchers". He is amongst alot of good company in that category.

Greiner at Blythewood last season hit close to .500 with power. Imo Greiner was more of a pure HS hitter than Houser. Now at best Greiner is a solid .250 college hitter and that's pushing it. Yes he and Houser can hit bombs if you groove it to them. That's a great thing and for sure I'll take it. Griener has definitely hit some important dingers this season at the college level.

Houser at Tennesee I see doing no better or no worse than Griener is over at USC. They both obviously are catchers and damn good ones. If catchers beyond HS drive in some runs for you that's an added bonus. I suspect Houser was recruited for catching. Not hitting. Not a knock. He can play for my team anyday.

Houser and Greiner are very similiar as both are great mistake hitters. You make a mistake on a pitch and they both would it a very very very very long way! I understand what DP meant about pitch recognition. both tended to chase some bad pitches when they got frustrated. FYI Greiner went through a patch at USC recently where he reverted to that thankfully he broke out of it. Both were intentionally walked alot Houser more so than Greiner. One thing everyone will agree on both have a cannon behind the dish and can shut down a running game.

I think ACF wins it Wednesday but I have been wrong before and it would a great series for 3 games!

If I am not mistaken J4 you, myself, and DP pretty much see the same thing. I am pretty sure us 3 combined have 50+ years of experience observing HS baseball players. Hard to imagine all 3 of *us are seeing something here that doesn't really exist.

Anyways back to the original thread itself. I seem to have not given ACF enough credit here lately. They are proving that they are indeed a legitimate state champion caliber team. Ft Mill obviously down 1-0 has it's work cut out for them.

Ft Mill pitching should have an edge over ACFs the rest of the way. That's on paper of course. ACF has beaten paper many times over the last few seasons. Great chemistry with this latest batch of Falcons. Wednesday will most likely be great HS baseball entertainment for fans. Going to do my best to observe this game. Very well could be the last one...Edit to add *us in line 3.
This post was edited on 5/15 3:07 PM by NoDogInTheFight

Originally posted by NoDogInTheFight:
~Seam~ You mentioned AC Flora's catcher missed hitting a 2nd HR to dead center that the Ft Mill defender caught with his back up against the wall. Was the Ft Mill player 35ft tall? That's roughly how high that wall is over at Flora. Didn't know FM had a kid that tall. Should be playing bball. He is wasting his time on the baseball diamond.

Just Kidding with ya 2S..Btw in all seriousness I must say I agree in-large part with DP on their analysis of ACF's Houser. He imo will have trouble in college hitting. He may adapt over time to the big-time upgrade of pitchers. Time will tell. I have seen Houser several times in HS against pitchers that throw off speed and hit spots. He struggles a good bit against "real" pitchers. A HS kid is only going to see so many "real pitchers". He is amongst alot of good company in that category.

Greiner at Blythewood last season hit close to .500 with power. Imo Greiner was more of a pure HS hitter than Houser. Now at best Greiner is a solid .250 college hitter and that's pushing it. Yes he and Houser can hit bombs if you groove it to them. That's a great thing and for sure I'll take it. Griener has definitely hit some important dingers this season at the college level.

Houser at Tennesee I see doing no better or no worse than Griener is over at USC. They both obviously are catchers and damn good ones. If catchers beyond HS drive in some runs for you that's an added bonus. I suspect Houser was recruited for catching. Not hitting. Not a knock. He can play for my team anyday.

By just missed, I meant he hit the ball off the end of the bat and still sent a towering fly ball to deep center field to be caught by the center fielder with his back against the fence. I know this ain't horseshoes and it's either over the fence or not but what I'm saying is it had a chance. No big deal.

Most every kid will start out having trouble hitting in college and especially at the SEC level. No brainer. I think I would be correct to say that I doubt you have seen him this year? As many games as I've been to watch Flora, he has gone yard in each. And only when the opposing team had no choice but to pitch to him.

Won't comment on Grayson as he speaks for himself by being selected to the USA National team. He had a great career at Blythewood and is really coming into his own in SEC play. I'm a big fan.

I think it's fair to say that the Flora kid is doing what he is with the bbcor bat and not the aluminum bats of old. He's hitting above .400 "with power", as you say, and with a restrictive bat. He hasn't set the league on fire with his at bats in the past but has obviously adjusted into a top HS hitter.

If, as you say, he will do no worse or no better than Griener over at USC, I'd say that is pretty damn good.

Originally posted by 2seamspin:
If, as you say, he will do no worse or no better than Griener over at USC, I'd say that is pretty damn good.

FYI, I was NOT dishing on either Grayson nor David. I think both young men have a very high ceiling both on and off the field. I was just commenting on what I thought DP meant by their comments.

As my hero Clark Griswald said to his neighbors during his Christmas vacation, " I wasn't talking to you."
wink.gif

This post was edited on 5/15 6:48 PM by 2seamspin

That would be me, Sparky..

Originally posted by 2seamspin: As my hero Clark Griswald said to his neighbors during his Christmas vacation, " I wasn't talking to you."
wink.gif

This post was edited on 5/15 6:48 PM
This post was edited on 5/16 12:27 AM by NoDogInTheFight
This post was edited on 5/16 12:32 AM by NoDogInTheFight

Originally posted by 2seamspin:
As my hero Clark Griswald said to his neighbors during his Christmas vacation, " I wasn't talking to you."
wink.gif

This post was edited on 5/15 6:48 PM by 2seamspin

I know but I wanted to make clear the respect I have for both these young men!

2seamspin I'm just curious I see on 2 posts on this thread where you mentioned a certain player had hit 24 and/or 2 dozen homeruns. Last I saw he had hit 8 for the year about 2 weeks ago did he go on a HR barage no one heard about? The state HR lead was 11 just a few days back from a Hanna and a Greenville player.

Yea. You're right small. Got ahead of myself. I was incorrect as this is his total for his HS career and NOT 'this year'. My apologies. Last game made it either #10 or 11 for THIS year. Thanks for dinging me on that!

I just heard on the radio, Houser has 13 HR's for the season. I believe you must have meant 25 for his HS career. I listened to Teddy Heafner on Sports Talk and Houser also has 56 walks out of 119 at bats. That is a new state record. He also has 15 doubles. That means he hits a HR, 20% of the time. Thats one out of five at bats for you folks in the midlands that don't have a calculator on you phone . He seldom sees anything other than curve balls, so he has done this facing alot of junk. I would say that is about as good of pitching recongnition as anyone can ever expect. I would say Poljuos needs to work on Pitch recognitation as well as Geeter, A'ROD and any other hitter you want to bring up,the DP guy that wrote that is probaly a pitcher and may not be a strong hitting guy because a 30% success rate will pay well. I have no idea why DP would write that after a GS walk off. It makes no sence to me. Houser probaly is batting around 460 or higher,based on the numbers from Sports Talk. I would guess he has had a memorable senior year. I am glad our HS team will not have to see him again. He has been a good example and is a very humble kid. Good luck to him in the future and I have enjoyed watching him on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT