ADVERTISEMENT

All time SC fantasy matchups

mhs125

Rookie
Dec 19, 2007
I was thinking about some of the all time best wrestlers in South Carolina, and it got me thinking. Who would win between some of the greatest our state has ever seen? Assuming wrestlers were in their senior year in high school. For example-

Gage Cervenka vs Robert Quinn

Cervenka vs Ben Connell

Matt Rudy vs TJ Dudley

JC Oddo vs TJ Dudley

TJ Dudley vs Tig Willard

Clay Walker vs Eddie Coles

Robby Bell vs John Van Slooten

Jordan Wigger vs Matt Leach

The McClesters vs The Becks (tag team style)

Tyler Thompson vs James Sass

James Sass vs Cee Jay Hamilton

Deral Brown vs Brantley Hooks (This would have the slickest takedowns of all time)

Careef Robertson vs Bryant Blanton

TT Prayther vs Aaron Hansen

Who do you think would win these?

What are some other matchups you wish you could see?

Gage Cervenka vs Robert Quinn Quinn

Cervenka vs Ben Connell Connell

Matt Rudy vs TJ Dudley Dudley

JC Oddo vs TJ Dudley Dudley

TJ Dudley vs Tig Willard Don't remember Willard, so I'll play safe and say Dudley

Clay Walker vs Eddie Coles Wow, tough. I will say Walker but think it's a toss up

Robby Bell vs John Van Slooten Ugh, Bell

Jordan Wigger vs Matt Leach Another tough one. Not sure they were the same weight - Wigger smaller. Can't pick it.

The McClesters vs The Becks (tag team style) Depends on the rules and how they are matched up

Tyler Thompson vs James Sass Hmmmm, go with Thompson

James Sass vs Cee Jay Hamilton Sass

Deral Brown vs Brantley Hooks (This would have the slickest takedowns of all time) Tough one. Hooks has some length on Brown. Pass

Careef Robertson vs Bryant Blanton Robertson

TT Prayther vs Aaron Hansen Hansen would play the edge and win a close one

Neil Selke takes Thompson, Sass, and Hamilton. Throw Travis Drake into the conversation to make it interesting.

An intrasquad match between Josh Brindel and Nick Leone.

Darth, I agree with most picks above, however ...

I'd take Leach over Wigger (thinking size here, unless I'm not remembering right), but only if nothing is riding on it (including pride)

Weren't there more Becks than McClesters (there were only three McClesters), I think that the Becks were on average a little bit bigger (though not by much).

Another good one (although Ben kinda ruins it because of his size) would be the Pointers vs. the Connells. There was a whole slew of both Connells and Pointers.

I also think that Sass would beat Thompson, but that might be because I saw more of Sass than Thompson.

Once down to Brown and Hooks, I'd say pass all the way to the end. If pressed, I'd probably just flip a coin.

A lot of good ones, but MANY better guys not mentioned.

My opinion, on those listed...
Cervanka/Quinn...Cervanka.
Cervanka/Connell...Connell. really not even close. Ryan Adams would beat the brakes off both of them, and did vs. Connell.
Rudy/Dudley....Dudley
Oddo/Dudley.......good one, but I'm callin Dudley as a senior
Dudley/Willard....don't know Willard, so goin with Dudley
Walker/Coles.....Walker ( Kos would need to answer this one)
Bell/Van Slooten......Really? Thos would not even be close. Bell crushes him.
Wigger/Leach....Wigger
McClester/Becks...Becks
Thompson/Saas....Saas
Saas/Hamilton....Would be fun, but goin with Saas
Brown/Hooks....Hooks. Just too lsick with a crazy strong motor
Robertson/Blanton....Blanton

Again....much better guys not showin on the list

For those that may not know...Jonathon "Tig" Willard (Loris) 2005-08 4x state champion @ 171 & 189. Went on to be a standout LB for Clemson. Last played for Tennessee Titans in NFL. Great guy and representative of SC. Has often spoke of possibly getting into MMA.

Some of you old guys like me may remember a guy I watched absolutely terrorize wrestlers in the late 80's...Dan "The Man" Wirnsberger (Greer) 1987-90 *4x state champion @ 112, 132, & 152 (3 in SC / 1 in KS*). 3x All American @ Michigan State. Current HC @ Bucknell. Guy was a BEAST!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The buff but tough match: Greyson Hutson vs Rudy

The 4xmer match:
Eddie Coles vs. Aaron Hansen

The I am Groot Match: Jake
Tubbs vs. Michael Grase

The lifetime placer match: David Acosta vs Eli Ashby

The Thrill of the Ville Match: Ian Barker vs James Sass

The SC wrestler and SC coach match: Robby Bell vs Kyle Kimrey

The everyone is scared to wrestle them
match: JC Oddo vs Robert Quinn

The who can ride legs longer match: Brian Wolfe vs James Brotlemarkle

The Barn Burner match: Jamal
Lackey vs Gerry Cloonan

Last but not least…..The Amurica match: TJ Dudley vs All of ISIS

TJ Dudley wins the last one hands down. Good luck to him in
the NCAA tournament coming up. SC wrestling would love to see an All-American
this year

I am going back to ancient times here, so all you dinosaurs back me up here.

James Gillings-1979 from Airport would beat anyone from this year back to the beginning of SC wrestling. He lost only one match, the state finals his freshman year to Ike Anderson, a future Olympic placer.

Dude was good...but not like that. Jim Barnes (his coach) would tell ya the same.
Those guys at Airport were solid...Carl VanSewell ( 4 x champ..one classification), there was a Bullard kid who was tough as hell as well.

Anyway...the technical aspect of the game in our has changed dramatically since then...

Summerville and Rock Hill had some monsters over the years who were national caliber kids.

Others...Karl Barton/Beaufort
dan Wernsberger/Greer already mentioned
John Ford/Rock Hill.....2 x champ...all-american....schoolboy freestyle world champ ( dude was the REAL DEAL)
Andy King/FM

I could go on, but no time.....

maybe I'll write a book one day

Grayson Hutson wasn't even close to Rudy's weight class. And I am not worthy of this discussion or be in the same sentence as Robby Bell. He was better then me!

TJ Selke vs Gerald Turner

Andrew Young vs Clay Walker when they were same weight, so Andrews senior year and Clay's Junior year

Gerald vs Clay

Taylor/walker.......walker.
Watched Taylor in HS.....good but not like that.
Got really good in college

I talk to the man weekly......we have had this same discussion many times. I will be seeing him again this weekend, and will be sure to open up for discussion.

JYMF,

If Coach Barnes remembers Tommy Smith of Swansea, please ask him about a "who would win" match with Keith Harris. Always wondered about that match-up. Both guys were beasts in their day. Keep waiting for a Keith Harris offspring to turn up on a mat at a Rock Hill area school...

I remember Smith. Guy was a beast. Know Keith Harris well...used to workout with him when I would come back in town while in college. I gave him the nickname " the strongest man in the world". Guy was crazy strong...155 pounds with a 400 lb bench!

Have actually coached a few of Keith's nephews, etc.... They were not like Keith.

A lot of those guys back then were legit....just crazy athletic with skill to boot. Nothin fancy, just basic mechanics.

PEOPLE ALL OVER THE STATE WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE REMATCH WHERE FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE IN THE BUILDING RASHEEM NELLOMS VS.ADAM DUNCAN

On the undercard of that Duncan Nelloms .main event we might have another west oak coach square off against a bhp fan. This match could not take place outside and would add to an already intense rivalry.

This list is missing some pretty obvious and big names. The Summerville and Rock Hill Teams from late 80's early 90's were loaded.

Chris Burns(Summerville)I take him against the field at 130.

Lamar Thomas/Thompson? (Rock Hill) I take him
Against the field at 140/145.

Corey Dye (Rock Hill) I have seen allot of Wigger, Walker and Hanson, I'm not sure any of them beat Dye.

D. Wirnsberger(Greer) I think he takes the 152 SC All Time Crown.

B. Lafond(Summerville) I'll take him at 119.

There are some other greats that are missing that I would have to give consideration to.

Lamar Thompson......his brother Terrence Thompson was a 3xer....runner-up the year he didn't win it. I think it was his brother....it's been a while. I wrestled against T.T. in the late 90's.

They weren't brothers. Distant cousins.
TT was a 2 timer and GR national Champ.

Very tough!
Lamar was monster. 91 NHSCA National Champ.....almost sure he pinned and TF through the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT