ADVERTISEMENT

Blocking the plate or unsportsmanlike play?

Unsportsmanlike both times. Catcher does not have the ball in either play. Catcher should not have been that close to the plate. She is clearly trying to throw an elbow and you cannot fault the 2nd runner for saying something to the catcher.

Looks bad for sure.

One issue softball has that baseball doesn't, is how to handle these things. I see nasty plays often by girls because there aren't many unwritten rules to keep this kinda thing away. How about the slide Michigan had in World Series 5 feet off the bag to take out SS?

Also, we don't know why the catcher did it. Maybe her team was victim prior to that and she was defending her team? One clip doesn't tell whole deal.

There is no excuse for the catcher's bad behavior even if she or her team had been victimized in prior plays. What distresses me is the adult "blue" watching it happen and doing nothing about it. The catcher should have been tossed, period!!!

If you look at how both collisions are done exactly the same it makes me wonder if that was taught.. The second hit the catcher gets the ball and quickly looks back to see if she touched the plate. Was this really bad, dangerous coaching????

Looks bad for sure.

One issue softball has that baseball doesn't, is how to handle these things. I see nasty plays often by girls because there aren't many unwritten rules to keep this kinda thing away.
Baseball stuff is creeping into softball more every day. Male head coaches that played baseball will end up getting that mentality into softball at some point. The excessive celebrations-dance moves after homeruns are going to be met with chin music at some point. Same with players getting intentionally getting hit. Several announcers made mention of pitchers getting their money worth when they hit a batter and not the nick on a elbow guard. I would rather see these tings cleaned up before it comes to that. The cheap shots in the video is BS but I wonder too if they were retaliation for somthing else or just someone not happy about being beat. Fielders are starting to do the same things with blocking bags or positioning themselves where runners have to go around them. This is the first season where I have seen some umpires make a call and give the runners the base. While I am on the case the person that teaches these unprotected players to block bases when runners have metal cleats should be fired! Life long scars aren't worth giving up a base.

To the original intent of this posting the catcher should have been tossed!

Catcher should've been tossed. I know some on Facebook are quick to point out her coach for maybe teaching her to behave in this manner; but I'm one that thinks this comes from home where there is no consequences for ones actions. Parents need to quit trying to be their kids pals and just be a damn parent

and the state of texas and her high school check in to say " she is a great kid...." really????? I am appalled

ADVERTISEMENT