ADVERTISEMENT

Camden HS

Do them kids like that new basketball Dream Court at the Boys/Jackson Teen Center and Girls Club them people built in Camden for free?

Thanks Nancy Lieberman

Wouldn't have any idea. Don't know what this has to do with about the football program though.

Reactions: swett2victory
Coach,

You usually have some good info. What are you hearing about the Camden job? Also, have you heard anything about Blythewood?

Camden is unusual. They used to be VERY closed to the idea of coaches coming in there without any Camden or Kershaw County history. Jimmy Neal used to demand that any coach working at Camden had to live IN Camden. The community was very supportive of this. But the dynamics of the school have changed. Camden used to be a balanced school in terms of academics, athletics, socio-economics and race. It used to be a coveted place to live, teach and raise a family. At one point around 2003-05, the staff was about 95% white, while the student make-up was either balanced or maybe even a slight majority African-America. Based on personal conversations with coaches and teachers at Camden High... things are very different there now. There has been a change in culture there, so I'm at a loss as to where they will turn, or who would be the front runner to get the job. If I had to guess, I think they COULD hire a minority head football coach. Not sure there is enough of the "Old Camden" people around to influence that anymore, but we will see. As for who exactly will get it? No idea. The guy from North Central seemed to feel he had the best shot, seeing as he applied for the Camden job in his resignation letter from North Central.

o_O

Now, Blythewood is a whole different animal. After Jeff Scott won state there, a LOT of the upper-class people of that community thought this was going to be a way of life for years to come. Poof. The Shaw fiasco shook a lot of those folks, and things really turned south when Westwood opened and started winning immediately. Then, lo and behold, Ridge View comes back to life on the football field and now there is a titanic struggle in the northeast of Richland County. Most of the locals want a BIG name to shake up the program, bring new-life to it. The problem is - and has been for a while - BHS prides itself as an Academic school, They are desperate to be the "smart" school with cutting edge classes, technology and scheduling. They try to run themselves like some kind of Academic Academy. This has sent those kids who are more Athletic-minded and less-Academic minded fleeing to WHS and RVHS. I don't care HOW big name you get, if you don't make a few accommodations to support your non-genius, academic oriented students there, they will be second fiddle to their rivals every single year. There ARE ways to balance the two.... see Dutch Fork and Chapin.

:D

Hope this helps.... probably just going to piss some people off... but I've lived in both places and have friends in the communities and schools... so I speak from experience and the words from those still there. It is, what it is....

DaCoach: I'm always pleased to hear your insight. You're not too terribly biased, and I feel like your information is reliable. Thank you, sir. You teach me something new every time I read your posts.

DaCoach: I'm always pleased to hear your insight. You're not too terribly biased, and I feel like your information is reliable. Thank you, sir. You teach me something new every time I read your posts.

Dang, Shiva.... this post was 4 months old. But thanks. I try VERY hard not too be biased... but, I am a human. When I see things or have personal experiences with a coach, school, player, community, etc. then it can rub people wrong when I give a "less than stellar" opinion about them.

But that's all it ever really is.... just an opinion. No one says we have to all have the same one.

:D

ADVERTISEMENT