ADVERTISEMENT

Coach out at Pickens High School

This was a witch hunt. The new principal didn't like him and he and the spineless AD conspired to get rid of him. When allegations (that haven't been backed with one piece of evidence) of an ethnic slur emerged they used that and the viral picture of a crooked sideline to force him out.

Hmmmm....... this is bad for EVERYONE!
John is good people!
TYPICAL Pickens Co. good ole boy "stuff."

Probably should never have gotten the gig to begin with. Good guy, and one of those coaches that is a great assistant, but not a head coach. Still a bit shocked this happened at Pickens. Not like they have made winning such a high standard at Pickens the lasts decade of so that starting 1-3 gets you run. If it is the personal side, and the principal and the AD conspired to get him out, good luck trying to find a decent head coach when that starts making the circles

Reactions: birdcol
I hate to hear that, really thought John would do a great job at Pickens. To be honest I am SHOCKED.

Like Red Raider said "John is good people".

I would imagine he could appeal to the Board of Trustees if he felt it was wrongful termination

I don't buy this at all. John Boggs is a good guy. This must have been a witch hunt.

This was a witch hunt. The new principal didn't like him and he and the spineless AD conspired to get rid of him. When allegations (that haven't been backed with one piece of evidence) of an ethnic slur emerged they used that and the viral picture of a crooked sideline to force him out.
THat crooked sideline alone should've got somebody fired ... never seen anything like that.

only bad thing about trying to get a job in Pickens county is you really can't bring your own coaches. You pretty much are stuck with the old regime staff which stinks. I hate it for the next coach unless they hire within which they will. Best thing for them to do is get rid of the whole staff and bring in a coach that has no ties and don't care about how much parents contribute to the booster club and give him teaching slots for his coaches.

Last edited:
only bad thing about trying to get a job in Pickens county is you really can't bring your own coaches. You pretty much are stuck with the old regime staff which stinks. I hate it for the next coach unless they hire within which they will. Best thing for them to do is get rid of the whole staff and bring in a coach that has no ties and don't care about how much parents contribute to the booster club and give him teaching slots for his coaches.

My mother is a Boggs....so yeah, I'm a tad bias...
Same ole BS at Pickens.... they ran off the best coach they had since Bill Isaacs in Andy Tweito... John Boggs should not be surprised... Tweito's last two seasons he went 9-2 and 8-3 and that got him canned. Have not been anywhere close to that since that time. I did not know Coach Tweito but I knew his brother and his nephews. His nephews grew up with my son's and played ball together for years at Dutch Fork. Finer people you will not find anywhere....ashamed of PHS... and they are reaping what they sow. They MIGHT win one more game...hope 2-8 feels good. "Pride in The Blue".....not so much any more. I'll be stateside in later October and I plan to go see Daniel curb-stomp Pickens...they have earned it. Way past time to clean house in that place.

Boggs should have been fired because of the product he put on the field not because of hurting some players feelings. With that said the athletic director should be fired as well because of the product on the field the past several years. It it isn't Boggs fault he was head coach, the AD hired him. It's a pattern of poor decisions and judgements by the AD that have led to the current situation

I believe anybody that would have coached the era that tweito did would have had the same record. That was the best talent that came through Pickens since the 70's and still couldn't get past 1st round. The bad thing is I know another coach that's been productive put in for Pickens job when tweito got it and he has been to a state championship.

I believe anybody that would have coached the era that tweito did would have had the same record. That was the best talent that came through Pickens since the 70's and still couldn't get past 1st round. The bad thing is I know another coach that's been productive put in for Pickens job when tweito got it and he has been to a state championship.
Think we are splitting hairs here tiger-guru...Tweito took a team to the title game as well. Point is the administration at Pickens is the problem.

I agree. I think tweito would have got more respect if he hadn't started a different qb every year and especially start his son who could barely look over the o-line. When you had RJ Webb as his backup something is wrong. But Pickens will never change unless the good ol boys get out from there and Pickens county pays better and allows teaching slots for the coaches.

Do any of you folks really know what happened and does it matter to you? All I have heard from everyone is speculation and personal opinion, most of which is not accurate.

"Do any of you folks really know what happened and does it matter to you? All I have heard from everyone is speculation and personal opinion, most of which is not accurate."

By all means... let your 15th post be about the facts... as you know them...

o_O

see my post earlier. These are the facts of the case and they are undisputed.

Well, Boggs was hired because he was one of the good ole boys who played at Pickens, not many, if any full time coaches otherwise are part of the good ole boy group so ridiculed when Pickens is discussed and that includes the AD. ALL towns, esp. in Pickens county have many hometown volunteers who just love giving of their time. They all follow direction from the head coach and sometimes that direction is not good. I don't know all the details and would not spread them here if I did but from what I've heard there were multiple issues that caused coach Boggs to be let go from the position. So, before everyone throws the school and school district under the bus they must have had little choice in the matter. As far as my 15th post goes I've been a member a long time under other credentials, mostly just reading and LOL at all the wisdom the folks have here. This thread just got my attention and even though I don't have a bull in the fight all the bull I'm reading is baseless and just opinion. I hope the best for Pickens in the future and hope they can hire a coach that can turn around 10 or more yrs. of mediocrity.

Last edited:
So..... we are to believe your post, but not these other posts. Yours is factual, and theirs are based only on rumor. You are knowledgeable, even though you have no bull in the fight, and they are just, um,,, disgruntled fans, friends or colleagues.

Got it.

:D

.... and I hope you know I am only poking fun at you.... nothing personal, at all. My sarcasm usually doesn't come across in typed letters.
;)

Not a problem dacoach, Let's put it this way. YES, most discussions of this nature are based on rumors as the coaches, players and school district are not going to divulge ALL issues that determined this decisions.

Not a problem dacoach, Let's put it this way. YES, most discussions of this nature are based on rumors as the coaches, players and school district are not going to divulge ALL issues that determined this decisions.
Looking at the region they are in and will always be in and the demographics of the district, does a realist expect a region title every year and a deep run in the playoffs...no. But a solid winning season and some playoff success...yes. The community and the school deserve better. Was John Boggs the solution? Probably not... but a better administration and a better salary would attract a coach that would take the resources available and make a solid program. The heart is there and the community support would be there... in a situation like that, the HC has to get all the available talent on the field. DF is not a good example, but DF was likely the worst Big 16 school in the state before Tom Knotts took over. Consecutive 2-9 seasons...his first season there he brought excitement- students came out for football and in that first season they went 10-3 and now are always a threat to win the region and have a shot at the state title. Most would agree now that DF is the best team in the state at the moment. DF has more talent walking the hallways of that school than just about any other school in the state- Pickens does not. However, excitement breeds interest and gets the athletes on the field.

Actually, yes I do know. It was a bad situation for Boggs and the AD. The principal on the other hand....... well there you go....................

No HC in the state should have to keep the coach he succeeded on staff. This will only get worse before it gets better because there will not be spots available to hire a new HC. So please Andy Tweito- come back!

I have no more info on the odd timing to this firing, less in fact, than folks in Pickens County. But one thing is for sure, and we can deal in facts here. Is Pickens, under its current structure of not the greatest pay in the state, and their limited demographic base, a candidate to be in the running for state titles anytime in the near future? No. But what is very obvious is that there may be little urgency on the administrations part to even approach mediocrity if their football decisions over the last decade are any indication. First off, no way you allow a former head coach to stay on staff. That is just asking for trouble. Secondly, I know a lot of folks really like Boggs and talk about what a good guy he is. He was at Walhalla and did little. Agreed, also a limited horizon on success there, but you currently have what was this time last year youth football coaches that have done better. Westside came next. Not so great results. And I believe Scott Earley has shown that with the right leadership there was some good football within the halls of Westside High. In football, as in most everything else, history of often prologue. Am sure there were other things that contributed to this decision that would bring us to letting a coach go in mid season. But hiring a guy because he was a "Pickens Boy", or is a "good guy", doesn't say much about what the administration is hoping for their football program. Which should be very important in a community like Pickens.

Probably should never have gotten the gig to begin with. Good guy, and one of those coaches that is a great assistant, but not a head coach. Still a bit shocked this happened at Pickens. Not like they have made winning such a high standard at Pickens the lasts decade of so that starting 1-3 gets you run. If it is the personal side, and the principal and the AD conspired to get him out, good luck trying to find a decent head coach when that starts making the circles
That crooked sideline was precious! .A PLAYER DID IT... and that's how it was done in the old days. The players helped line the feild! AT LEAST THE KIDS WERE NOT ON THE LOCKER ROOM ALONE doing what kids do..... that was a teaching opportunity and it was fixed. He was spending time with his players.

Those Pickens kids don't have the best tecords year to year lately.... but they do play to the echo of the whistle.. and that's no problem as long as it goes no further. tHey played like we played in the early 90s!

That crooked sideline was precious! .A PLAYER DID IT... and that's how it was done in the old days. The players helped line the feild! AT LEAST THE KIDS WERE NOT ON THE LOCKER ROOM ALONE doing what kids do..... that was a teaching opportunity and it was fixed. He was spending time with his players.

Those Pickens kids don't have the best tecords year to year lately.... but they do play to the echo of the whistle.. and that's no problem as long as it goes no further. tHey played like we played in the early 90s!

Yeah, a player/student didn't paint the line man. Sorry to burst that bubble. Can we stop kicking that dead horse anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT