ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Stealing Pitching Signs

Jul 29, 2015
I have been coaching TB and HS ball for about 13 years and have truly only ran across this maybe 5 times. Just want to get others thoughts on coaches Stealing Pitching Signs.

In lower levels, my only issue is when a team positions a coach or other on the outside of the fence, with the expressed purpose of stealing signs, and relaying the information. This is against the spirit of the game, and a poor lesson to teach a young player.

In high school there are ways to counter with a smart outside the fence fan base.

If a coach in the coaches box, or someone in the dugout can steal signs, then the team signaling the signs is doing something wrong.

On the college level, from what I have seen, all bets are off. And the reason most all college teams wear multiple pages of armband codes and get their signals verbally by number from coach. With the codes changing on a continuous basis.

Seen parents and coaches in the younger level (12U) almost come to blows over this. As players get older it becomes recognized as a tactic others may use, and teams learn counter measure to combat it.

In my opinion as a hitter, it is best for your young player to learn how to hit on her own, still learning, instinct. Don't take shortcuts. For established hitters this information can be useful. But by then it seems more difficult to get the correct information. My hitter has never benefitted from getting advanced signals, and from a hitter, don't try to give her advanced information. It does not help development in the long term.

Last edited:
I never stole signals but have zero problem with those that do. I am embarrassed for any coach that doesn't have a pick proof system. People may not like what you have to do to hide them but it is a huge deal if a batter knows what is coming. The signal picking shows up as BS100 said at young levels. I don't remember it in 10U but for sure its widespread by 12U.

I have been coaching TB and HS ball for about 13 years and have truly only ran across this maybe 5 times. Just want to get others thoughts on coaches Stealing Pitching Signs.
I believe there are more than you know. Everyone catches the non discreet types.

It is a hoot to remember back to the 12U days. I remember a parent who could see when a change-up was being called. Was spot on the whole game and probably affected the potential outcome. Created a ruckus with the umpires getting involved. Fun days they were.

It can even get more complicated, as back in those days, it was considered against the rules for a coach to signal directly to the pitcher. It had to go through the catcher, then to the pitcher. How the game has evolved. For today, in college, the coach yells out a secret code, and all the players look at their arm band. Too fun to remember back, and the silly drama,

In all reality though, unless a coach or team spend an inordinate amount of time, trying to essentially cheat (open for debate). They are spending too much time on it, instead of teaching the hitter how to predict a pitch. This game is still played between the ears of the pitcher and hitter. It will always remain so.

The pitchers parent have a totally different perspective. Sure in the early days I have seen games where these shenanigans may have affected the outcome. But for the lifelong growth of a player and team. It is my opinion sign stealing has little, if any effect. Possibly harms more than it helps.

Sure would like an opinion from a pitcher. On a side note, a great catcher solves much of this, even when young.

Last edited:
This happened last week during lancaster and union county game. Lancaster parent learned change up signal and was telling hitters when it was called. Union catcher called time and let Union coach know what was happening. At end of half inning, Union coach came to fence and told Lancaster parent (a mother, by the way) "This how you get someone hurt!"
Don't think this is best way to handle situation. Union catcher did right thing by alerting coach, but never a good idea for coach to engage fans of other team, much less threaten with violence.

Wow.
This happened last week during lancaster and union county game. Lancaster parent learned change up signal and was telling hitters when it was called. Union catcher called time and let Union coach know what was happening. At end of half inning, Union coach came to fence and told Lancaster parent (a mother, by the way) "This how you get someone hurt!"
Don't think this is best way to handle situation. Union catcher did right thing by alerting coach, but never a good idea for coach to engage fans of other team, much less threaten with violence.

They are spending too much time on it, instead of teaching the hitter how to predict a pitch.
I agree with this 100% but we are in the minority. Most are looking for the shortcut or easy way and stealing signals is easier than thinking the situations out.

Reactions: BS100
I've always felt stealing signs is acceptable if it's done between the lines only. There's nothing wrong with a runner at second alerting a batter of what might be coming. It's up to the other team to guard against it. Now outside the lines is a different story and just plain bad form.

I think it's cheap and degrading to the game when fans of other teams tell the batter where our catcher is setting up just before the pitch. In my opinion, that's cheating. Unfortunately, I've seen and heard this several times already this season. Low class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT