ADVERTISEMENT

Coastal Carolina Softball get a damn clue!

NA_JACKET

Varsity All American
Nov 7, 2001
Your softball team has one SC player (PATHETIC). The baseball team has 10 and they have to compete with Clemson and SC for players! You don't have to deal with Clemson softball also pathetic on Clemson's part. The baseball team just proved you could win a National title with home grown athletes! RANT OVER!

Your softball team has one SC player (PATHETIC). The baseball team has 10 and they have to compete with Clemson and SC for players! You don't have to deal with Clemson softball also pathetic on Clemson's part. The baseball team just proved you could win a National title with home grown athletes! RANT OVER!

Totally Agree. It used to tick me off that Jack Leggett would pass over in-state talent and recruit a kid from the Northeast. Baseball in this state is as good as anywhere in the country. Leggett could never get over the hump. A lot of it had to do with recruiting.

It's shameful that a state supported school has only one SC player on the roster. The softball in this state continues to get better. I watched Coastal play several times this year. They could use some of these SC kids. USC Upstate has 4 or 5. USC has around 5.

Reactions: NA_JACKET
Totally Agree. It used to tick me off that Jack Leggett would pass over in-state talent and recruit a kid from the Northeast. Baseball in this state is as good as anywhere in the country. Leggett could never get over the hump. A lot of it had to do with recruiting.

It's shameful that a state supported school has only one SC player on the roster. The softball in this state continues to get better. I watched Coastal play several times this year. They could use some of these SC kids. USC Upstate has 4 or 5. USC has around 5.
Even with the smaller rosters in softball no instate program should have less than 3 SC players. Its makes no sense on the schools part to have out of state tuition and most softball players I have been around end up with state money for their education. Since I left it out of my first post congrats to Chants for winning it all in baseball!

The Coastal Carolina baseball Chanteleers make the state of South Carolina loud and proud. Much like USC did a few years back. Why Clemson cannot get on board, deep,in playoff baseball?

The Coastal Carolina coaches are new to the SC softball game. just hired a few years back, from out of state, they have yet to adjust to the plethora of talent in their back yard. Major tourney's at Tyger River, in the Charlstown area, and directly in Myrtle Beach.

They need to hit these areas. A Northern player does not match a SC player, hands down. The super colleges grab the best of the SC best. The players in SC, just below, can and have won very important games against the highest competition.

What many folks do not realize, the SC state has a very high percentage of colleges, when compared to population. Near the top in the nation. Most all have softball teams. Getting local talent is an inside game. That is how the south is. To compare a softball coaching staff, from out of town, with a local baseball veteran with 21 years here, is not fair.

There are local SC softball players who would like to play for Coastal Carolina, in their second home town of Myrtle Beach. It may be up to Coastal to figure out whom. And offer an olive branch. Like I said, SC softball is an inside game.

Don't just jump and blame the softball Chanteleers coaches.

Last edited:
Don't just jump and blame the softball Chanteleers coaches.

She has been there 7 years plenty of enough time to have ties to SC if she wanted them.
For the last 3 years its been all her players. In those 3 years she had 3 SC players total. The 3 players on the roster you have 1 I would think is a walkon. Courtney Howell was stolen from SMC at the last minute in a move Thad wasn't happy about. Ashley Bagwell was shown to her by USC Upstate coaches and they were very fortune to get her at a late stage. She was a stud for 4 years. Read this link because the state of NC will have more players than SC players in 2016. Getting adjusted to her area doesn't fly with me. Dont have a problem with the NC players it makes sense for the schools location.
http://www.goccusports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/111615aaa.html

Make excuses for them if you like. They aren't new. Kyle Jemieson is new. Coach K at CofC is new. Furman has 6 SC players and CofC has 3. Both those schools are hustling to get more if they can.

Just little cut ans paste below on Furman's Coach. Go read his Bio if you like. He made adjustments quickly with zero ties to SC the same Coack K did at CofC.

Kyle Jamieson, a native of Stittsville, Ontario, was named head softball coach at Furman on June 13, 2012.

In his first year at the helm of the Paladin program that had posted a 35-70 record over the previous two seasons, Jamieson directed Furman to a 27-27 worksheet, including a victory over Southeastern Conference foe South Carolina. Jamieson followed a strong inaugural season by helping Furman to just its second winning season in a decade and to its first back-to-back seasons of .500 or better in 15 years by going 29-26 with a 12-8 mark in Southern Conference play.

The 2015 season saw Jamieson guide Furman to a 32-25 record as the Paladins topped 30 wins for the first time since 2000. Shortstop Sieara Bishop garnered SoCon Player of the Year honors and the Paladins established a news single season school record for home runs with 53.

This past season, Jamieson helped Furman post back-to-back 30-win campaign for the first time since 1994-95 and secure a .500 better record for the fourth consecutive season for the first time since 1992-95 as the Paladins finished 33-27 en route to reaching the SoCon Tournament finals and finishing second in the regular season standings.

I think I will blame the coaches!

Last edited:
The Coastal Carolina baseball Chanteleers make the state of South Carolina loud and proud. Much like USC did a few years back. Why Clemson cannot get on board, deep,in playoff baseball?
Going off topic here with you Jack's best players folded when times got tough and yes his recruited left many doors open for USC. I never like Jack as a USC fan. I have had to change that this year because Monte Lee is one of the few friends I have on the baseball side. He is a hell of a guy and a hell of a coach. His players couldn't come through when it got tough. Credit OSU for that.

They need to hit these areas. A Northern player does not match a SC player, hands down. The super colleges grab the best of the SC best. The players in SC, just below, can and have won very important games against the highest competition.

What many folks do not realize, the SC state has a very high percentage of colleges, when compared to population. Near the top in the nation. Most all have softball teams. Getting local talent is an inside game. That is how the south is. To compare a softball coaching staff, from out of town, with a local baseball veteran with 21 years here, is not fair.
I agree with every thing you said here. My comparison between the two rosters has nothing to do with coaches. It doesn't take that long to create instate ties if you want to make them. Most of these travel coaches introduce themselves it requires little effort to get to know them.

This is not just softball and baseball but true with so many other sports as well. Why do you think Spurrier and the gamecocks beat clemson so much in the 5 year span because they cared more about the state game than clemson did. When you recruit out of state guys it is great but then when it comes to winning your own state you loose that battle bc it doesn't mean as much to them like it does to the ones that live here all their life and dream of going to these instate schools. in softball I know there is a lot of talent in SC but they get passed up by these schools like Coastal and like NA mentioned the coaching staff has had plenty of time being they have been in SC long enough. I know most coaches try to pull from where they are from bc it is what they know best but you have to win your own state in recruiting bottom line. Hopefully the softball team will get own board like baseball did. This happened years ago with clemson and carolina in baseball when carolina was taking all the instate guys that clemson passed on and they won back to back national championships so hopefull coastal softball follows suite.

I agree, schools like Coastal Carolina who keep looking outside the State lines for quality athletes aren't seeing what I'm seeing at big showcase tourneys. SC girls are showing out. The travel programs are getting stronger and players are good. Home Grown just makes sense. I have yet to see Coastal Carolina behind the fence watching SC girls. I've seen USC, CofC, Furman and Upstate at too many to Count. Thanks for opening this can of worms :)

This subject is one that really gets under my skin too. It's sad that the one Power 5 team in the state has more SC players than some of the mid majors in our state. Makes zero sense to me.

I believe you actually have to go to the SC and NC tournaments in order to recruit SC/NC players. Cant remember the last time I have seen a CC coach in the bleachers at any one of these tournaments. To be honest, it makes it easier for programs who fill their roster with SC players if they don't have to go against schools like Coastal. One less competitor for the same players. Maybe players need to research the schools who WANT instate players and win games with local talent.

I believe you actually have to go to the SC and NC tournaments in order to recruit SC/NC players. Cant remember the last time I have seen a CC coach in the bleachers at any one of these tournaments. To be honest, it makes it easier for programs who fill their roster with SC players if they don't have to go against schools like Coastal. One less competitor for the same players. Maybe players need to research the schools who WANT instate players and win games with local talent.
I totally agree with everything you said here. It does make it better for other schools that actually care about instate players!

I know several girls in the coastal area that tried to get the coach there to take a look at them including Runyon before Alabama came calling and she played 3 minutes down the road. Coach would not even come out and look. Rumor had it she did not want parents hanging around. What a lame excuse. Carolina Forest had several talented players as did several of the other high schools around. I know the one kid from Aynor who went to Furman emailed her several times with no results. And I can not remember seeing her at even 1 tournament I was at did see her at Next Level camp in Myrtle one time. Guess that is one reason they have struggled. Baseball has no problem with locals and look what they have done.

I know several girls in the coastal area that tried to get the coach there to take a look at them including Runyon before Alabama came calling and she played 3 minutes down the road. Coach would not even come out and look. Rumor had it she did not want parents hanging around. What a lame excuse. Carolina Forest had several talented players as did several of the other high schools around. I know the one kid from Aynor who went to Furman emailed her several times with no results. And I can not remember seeing her at even 1 tournament I was at did see her at Next Level camp in Myrtle one time. Guess that is one reason they have struggled. Baseball has no problem with locals and look what they have done.
There is nothing that they do that make sense. Evan Childs was done the same way by the prior staff so this isn't a new problem. Runyon and Childs wouldve dominated at Coastal. I am sure there are others that had to leave the area that wouldve made their mark.

Embracing the local support group is what softball is all about in SC. From what I have read here, myrtle beach community maybe should investigate.

The super org travel groups, make it their job to place the super talented SC players. They are proven. The deeds they convey, has my highest, I mean highest, respect and regards.

When these groups denounce a problem with in state college coaches, they MUST be listened to. And supported by the rest of the SC softball culture.

For a college, any college, to argue that the reason they do not get SC players is because of parents is a complete crock. Any strong college, believe you me, has a way to separate college parents, from college players. To admit this is not so, is a weakness admitted to by the college.

This is not high school folks. It is college. A now professional environment. A good college can and do negate the parent affect. The ones who cannot, or think it is too much "trouble" is on them. They are by definition separating WINS for something else.

Why? Because the present is the future. SC softball players compete and represent better than any in the U.S. That is the present. The future will blow the top off it. It is happening right before our eyes, if you look.

To those who do not SEE. Fine, watch from the other side as SC ball players BEAT you from the opposite side!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT