ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Davon Powell!

That's awesome! Congratulations young man.

Not to hijack this thread, BUT......

Moving forward I would love to see all the high school coaches in this state shifting their wrestlers focus from folkstyle to freeestyle/greco come May. I think getting more kids to place at Fargo will only help South Carolina wrestlers to get more notice from Division I coaches. How many of the Team Palmetto kids went to Fargo this year? How many of our state champions went to Fargo this year? I really don't know and am asking.

Further I would love to see some changes at SC's USA Wrestling chapter.
1) Do a better job marketing freestyle events during the folkstyle season.
2) Create separate freestyle tournaments so that Cadets and Juniors have their own tournament so they are not waiting hours for the Kids to finish before they wrestle.
3) Create a point system rewarding placers at folkstyle state and freestyle tournaments leading up to freestyle states. Use those points to seed freestyle states.
4) Use freestyle states to determine our Fargo team.
5) And finally raise money/sponsorship's so at the very least we can pay travel to and lodging at Fargo for our freestyle/greco teams.

Just some thoughts. Would love to hear comments - especially from HS coaches...

That's awesome! Congratulations young man.

Not to hijack this thread, BUT......

Moving forward I would love to see all the high school coaches in this state shifting their wrestlers focus from folkstyle to freeestyle/greco come May. I think getting more kids to place at Fargo will only help South Carolina wrestlers to get more notice from Division I coaches. How many of the Team Palmetto kids went to Fargo this year? How many of our state champions went to Fargo this year? I really don't know and am asking.

Further I would love to see some changes at SC's USA Wrestling chapter.
1) Do a better job marketing freestyle events during the folkstyle season.
2) Create separate freestyle tournaments so that Cadets and Juniors have their own tournament so they are not waiting hours for the Kids to finish before they wrestle.
3) Create a point system rewarding placers at folkstyle state and freestyle tournaments leading up to freestyle states. Use those points to seed freestyle states.
4) Use freestyle states to determine our Fargo team.
5) And finally raise money/sponsorship's so at the very least we can pay travel to and lodging at Fargo for our freestyle/greco teams.

Just some thoughts. Would love to hear comments - especially from HS coaches...

Great points Darth. Definately positive moves. Only problem I see with dividing cadets and juniors is that tournament hosts/clubs want to make $. Thats a lot of work to set up for an event that only brings in 50-60 kids. Currently it would not be worth the time and effort. However; if the numbers grow to levels of 15-20 years ago, then both events would be highly competitive and profitable. Early season events would commonly bring in 250-300 wrestlers back then. It would definately make for an easier day on kids, parents, and coaches.

This season, all divisions wrestled at the same time on an assigned mat. The older wrestlers did not have to wait for the younger ones to finish. Actually, I had a couple of my Cadets and Juniors finish before some of my schoolboy and below wrestlers. The state tournament had Cadets and Juniors in the main gym and the lower divisions in the smaller gym.
In selecting the Fargo teams, the numbers aren't at the point yet to use the state tournament as a way to determine our team. Right now it is pretty much who is willing to make the trip.
Our Fargo costs are low for the athletes- one of our NJ wrestlers at our SC/NJ camp had to pay in the neighborhood of $1,500 to go. Our kids paid about $300.
We made some great strides this year, and are hoping to build off of the momentum for next year.

I think there are many reasons numbers are down from 20 years ago - spring weather being one - but I think the biggest drain on freestyle participation has been the continued emphasis on folkstyle after the numerous national events in April. I think it is good kids continue to compete in spring and summer, but those that know me know I do not see the benefit of going to Disney Duals instead of concentrating on freestyle and going to Fargo. I believe I posted my reasons here last summer.

I think numbers would be increased for freestyle if:
1) SC USA Wrestling did a better job promoting itself during the winter months. Set up tables and presentations at various tournaments during the high school season.
2) Promote a point system for seeding at a tournament (Freestyle State) to make the Fargo team. Top 4 placers at folkstyle state get a sliding scale of points and then you get points for placing at freestyle tournaments. Use those points to seed a tournament just like the World Team tournament.
3) Team Palmetto should shift its focus from folkstyle to freestyle and travel to freestyle duals.
4) And finally - and most importantly - high school coaches need to promote the importance of freestyle to their wrestlers. Every kid should have an Olympic dream. Its the pinnacle of our sport; but more importantly, college coaches and the people that rank high school wrestlers draw heavily on Fargo results. That should be emphasized to kids wanting to compete at the next level.

If the kids are informed about the importance of freestyle wrestling - and the benefits are many - know that by competing in freestyle tournaments it will get them a better seed to make the Fargo team, AND know that USA Wrestling will pay or at least offset the price of travel I think you will see better participation numbers.

I agree with all of your points. USA is testing the waters of having tournaments during the regular season this coming year. There has also been talk of USA off season tournaments adding folkstyle wrestling to the freestyle and Greeco events with the hopes of encouraging more coaches and wrestlers to participate. I feel a lot of high school coaches know very little of freestyle or Greeco. Hopefully such a move would add comfort of folkstyle while exposing new styles. I would like to see the an increase in the entry fee that would aid in our state teams.Just my two cents

I think there are many reasons numbers are down from 20 years ago - spring weather being one - but I think the biggest drain on freestyle participation has been the continued emphasis on folkstyle after the numerous national events in April. I think it is good kids continue to compete in spring and summer, but those that know me know I do not see the benefit of going to Disney Duals instead of concentrating on freestyle and going to Fargo. I believe I posted my reasons here last summer.

I think numbers would be increased for freestyle if:
1) SC USA Wrestling did a better job promoting itself during the winter months. Set up tables and presentations at various tournaments during the high school season.
2) Promote a point system for seeding at a tournament (Freestyle State) to make the Fargo team. Top 4 placers at folkstyle state get a sliding scale of points and then you get points for placing at freestyle tournaments. Use those points to seed a tournament just like the World Team tournament.
3) Team Palmetto should shift its focus from folkstyle to freestyle and travel to freestyle duals.
4) And finally - and most importantly - high school coaches need to promote the importance of freestyle to their wrestlers. Every kid should have an Olympic dream. Its the pinnacle of our sport; but more importantly, college coaches and the people that rank high school wrestlers draw heavily on Fargo results. That should be emphasized to kids wanting to compete at the next level.

If the kids are informed about the importance of freestyle wrestling - and the benefits are many - know that by competing in freestyle tournaments it will get them a better seed to make the Fargo team, AND know that USA Wrestling will pay or at least offset the price of travel I think you will see better participation numbers.

I believe you posted your points in the first paragraph

I wanted to expand on my points; not to mention, I like to hear myself type. What are your opinions on the topic, Countykid?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT