ADVERTISEMENT

Dorman v Boilings Springs

This is going to be a good one! Wish I could make it over there to watch. I really could see this match going either way. No disrespect to the lower state teams, but I think the State Championship is won/lost here tonight. I like both coaches and how they run their programs. I've heard a lot of people say Dorman wins it and I completely understand their reasoning. I'm picking Boiling Springs tonight, though. Good luck wrestlers and coaches!

hyInder133 - What's your opinion?

Boiling Springs or Dorman...who wins?[/QUOTE
Ill preface the breakdown with this: its not terribly realistic to assume that the lower state champion would even have a dog in the fight against Boiling Springs or Dorman. They seem light years ahead of all the lower state teams.

106 - Thomas is on a roll it seems. Region champ where he pinned the Dorman guy in the finals. Wins with a fall, 0-6 BSHS
113 - This is tricky -- Aquino has had Hofer's number for a while now, but the margin of victory has continually dropped. If Hofer was ever to do it, tonight would be the night. That said, gotta go with the decision for Aquino. 3-6 BSHS.
120 - Gregorichuk for Boiling Springs has been struggling of late. That said, if he wrestles his best, he is cruising to a State Title. Gotta assume Lee Thomas will have him there tonight. Wins by fall. 3-12 BSHS.
126 - Boiling Springs' 126 is a young talent, even potential placer. However, Clary is P4P top 5 in SC. Wins with a major. 7-12 BSHS.
132 - Dorman's Shewalter has been the consistent starter there. Boiling Springs has been iffy all year at this weight. Shewalter's experience ought to get it done. Winner by decision. 10-12 BSHS.
138 - Caspio is a stud at this weight class. Easily among the top 3 in 4A. That said, you rarely see him throwing alot of bonus points out there. The situation at 132 for Boiliing Springs is mimicked at 138. Caspio wins with a major. 14-12 Dorman.
145 - This is one of the major swing matches of the dual. Both kids are talented, potential placers. Gotta go with the consistent victor though, who is massive compared to his counter part. Bain wins by decision. 17-12 Dorman.
152 - Its going to be very interesting to see who BSHS sends out at this weight. Their current starter here and their starter at 160 have gone back and forth all year. Florez is an absolute monster on top, who puts together alot of bonus points. If the other guy shows up, its 4 points for Johnson of Dorman, who is fresh off a region title, where he defeated the current BSHS guy.
21-13 Dorman.
160 - This situation is just as fluid as the previous, because Dorman is in the same situation as BSHS. Florez can pin anyone, but Rutherford is no slouch either. Difficult to predict. I say regular decision for Florez. 21-16 BSHS.
170 - Simpson is a stud at the weight. Top 3 contender (though he's not in the discussion with Seitz or Alford). 4 for Dorman. 25-16.
182 - Roles just reversed. Rojas is only a junior and is an absolute specimen. He continually puts up bonus. Potential state champ versus a potential qualifier for Dorman. Im calling it, Rojas by fall. 25-22 Dorman.
195 - Here we have a toss up. Baghensie from BSHS is a potential placer according to rankings, but he rarely puts up bonus points. This is a pivotal match for both teams. Any wrestler that Chad Singleton throws out there will show up to compete. This could just as easily be 6 more for BSHS as it could be 3 for Dorman. I say 3 BSHS. 25-25. All tied up.
220 - This is the biggest match of the dual. Neither guy has had an outstanding season. The BSHS kid likes to throw or get thrown. The situation seems to be the same for Dorman. Dorman is typically the more consistent team. I call 6 points Dorman. 31-25.
285 - The Dorman Heavy is not bad, but he's lost of late to the BSHS guy, most recently by bonus points. That said, the BSHS kid is young, and you never know how much nerves may come into to play. However, I think coach Lee Thomas will be game planning way ahead to work that out. If they need it (which theoretically they certainly will), the BSHS kid will get the fall. 31-31. All tied up.
Dorman wins 8 of 14 matches, but BSHS has more falls. BSHS wins. All this points to one very obvious thing, like those of us who have ever been in this situation previously: The match will be determined by bonus points. The track record says BSHS. BSHS is typically a less predictable team than Dorman. Dorman scores alot of points. BSHS pins. I call Boiling Springs as Upper State Champions, at which point they are absolutely in the driver's seat. Its a shame these two teams are wrestling when they are. Good luck to both of them!

ll preface the breakdown with this: its not terribly realistic to assume that the lower state champion would even have a dog in the fight against Boiling Springs or Dorman. They seem light years ahead of all the lower state teams.

106 - Thomas is on a roll it seems. Region champ where he pinned the Dorman guy in the finals. Wins with a fall, 0-6 BSHS
113 - This is tricky -- Aquino has had Hofer's number for a while now, but the margin of victory has continually dropped. If Hofer was ever to do it, tonight would be the night. That said, gotta go with the decision for Aquino. 3-6 BSHS.
120 - Gregorichuk for Boiling Springs has been struggling of late. That said, if he wrestles his best, he is cruising to a State Title. Gotta assume Lee Thomas will have him there tonight. Wins by fall. 3-12 BSHS.
126 - Boiling Springs' 126 is a young talent, even potential placer. However, Clary is P4P top 5 in SC. Wins with a major. 7-12 BSHS.
132 - Dorman's Shewalter has been the consistent starter there. Boiling Springs has been iffy all year at this weight. Shewalter's experience ought to get it done. Winner by decision. 10-12 BSHS.
138 - Caspio is a stud at this weight class. Easily among the top 3 in 4A. That said, you rarely see him throwing alot of bonus points out there. The situation at 132 for Boiliing Springs is mimicked at 138. Caspio wins with a major. 14-12 Dorman.
145 - This is one of the major swing matches of the dual. Both kids are talented, potential placers. Gotta go with the consistent victor though, who is massive compared to his counter part. Bain wins by decision. 17-12 Dorman.
152 - Its going to be very interesting to see who BSHS sends out at this weight. Their current starter here and their starter at 160 have gone back and forth all year. Florez is an absolute monster on top, who puts together alot of bonus points. If the other guy shows up, its 4 points for Johnson of Dorman, who is fresh off a region title, where he defeated the current BSHS guy.
21-13 Dorman.
160 - This situation is just as fluid as the previous, because Dorman is in the same situation as BSHS. Florez can pin anyone, but Rutherford is no slouch either. Difficult to predict. I say regular decision for Florez. 21-16 BSHS.
170 - Simpson is a stud at the weight. Top 3 contender (though he's not in the discussion with Seitz or Alford). 4 for Dorman. 25-16.
182 - Roles just reversed. Rojas is only a junior and is an absolute specimen. He continually puts up bonus. Potential state champ versus a potential qualifier for Dorman. Im calling it, Rojas by fall. 25-22 Dorman.
195 - Here we have a toss up. Baghensie from BSHS is a potential placer according to rankings, but he rarely puts up bonus points. This is a pivotal match for both teams. Any wrestler that Chad Singleton throws out there will show up to compete. This could just as easily be 6 more for BSHS as it could be 3 for Dorman. I say 3 BSHS. 25-25. All tied up.
220 - This is the biggest match of the dual. Neither guy has had an outstanding season. The BSHS kid likes to throw or get thrown. The situation seems to be the same for Dorman. Dorman is typically the more consistent team. I call 6 points Dorman. 31-25.
285 - The Dorman Heavy is not bad, but he's lost of late to the BSHS guy, most recently by bonus points. That said, the BSHS kid is young, and you never know how much nerves may come into to play. However, I think coach Lee Thomas will be game planning way ahead to work that out. If they need it (which theoretically they certainly will), the BSHS kid will get the fall. 31-31. All tied up.
Dorman wins 8 of 14 matches, but BSHS has more falls. BSHS wins. All this points to one very obvious thing, like those of us who have ever been in this situation previously: The match will be determined by bonus points. The track record says BSHS. BSHS is typically a less predictable team than Dorman. Dorman scores alot of points. BSHS pins. I call Boiling Springs as Upper State Champions, at which point they are absolutely in the driver's seat. Its a shame these two teams are wrestling when they are. Good luck to both of them!

For a marginalobserver that was certainly in depth. haha Really appreciate the breakdown for sure. Haven't seen either in person this year but have seen a great deal of the results. Hopefully it's a great atmosphere and the match comes down to the last one.

Dear Marginal Observer, good info and assessment. I preface my reply with the confession that I am biased. Thanks for your positive comments on Caspio. I understand you may not have good visibility to each wrestlers stats. FYI, Caspio has 50% of his wins by pin and another 12% by MD or TF, so 62% in bonus.

Dear Marginal Observer, good info and assessment. I preface my reply with the confession that I am biased. Thanks for your positive comments on Caspio. I understand you may not have good visibility to each wrestlers stats. FYI, Caspio has 50% of his wins by pin and another 12% by MD or TF, so 62% in bonus.
I love watching Caspio wrestle, very non assuming, relaxed guy who goes about his business in an effective manner! Great technique and tough to beat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT