ADVERTISEMENT

Early leaving Westside?

It ain't Berkeley slick. You have no faith in them bringing the doc back or at least hoping they do

Gaffney or Northwestern is what I was told.

Doubt Gaffney will open. Folks up that way are very disgusted with the plight of their football program, but evidently the decision makers don't seem to care as much. Unless Jones just decides to retire, which could happen, don't see any changes over that way.

He's not going anywhere this year.

You are absolutely correct JB. Not this year. He told Wilson he would stay this year but that was it. Jones at Gaffney asked for one more year so he could retire.

Scott wants to be somewhere he can control the whole county of football players. Follow the model somewhat like the Byrnes program. Youth football through high school. When Wilson hired Scott he told him of his plans to join Westside and Hanna. As everyone knows that did not happen and will not happen at least for the foreseeable future. Westside nor Hanna have the numbers to compete with the big boys in 5A now year after year. Yes, they will have there certain classes that come through that can compete. Westside somewhat last year and especially this year. Next year and the following year it will be Hanna that has the talent to compete.

Had the two schools merged, my gosh what a power house program this would have been especially having a coach like Early to coach them and having a superintendent like Wilson to back him.

You are absolutely correct JB. Not this year. He told Wilson he would stay this year but that was it. Jones at Gaffney asked for one more year so he could retire.

Scott wants to be somewhere he can control the whole county of football players. Follow the model somewhat like the Byrnes program. Youth football through high school. When Wilson hired Scott he told him of his plans to join Westside and Hanna. As everyone knows that did not happen and will not happen at least for the foreseeable future. Westside nor Hanna have the numbers to compete with the big boys in 5A now year after year. Yes, they will have there certain classes that come through that can compete. Westside somewhat last year and especially this year. Next year and the following year it will be Hanna that has the talent to compete.

Had the two schools merged, my gosh what a power house program this would have been especially having a coach like Early to coach them and having a superintendent like Wilson to back him.

And if Summerville and Fort Dorchester were back in the same building together they would win every sport in every year.

.... shoulda's and coulda's don't make it happen. Unfortunately for Wilson, the taxpayers decide if the schools consolidate, not him. Earley ain't stupid. He had to know the folks up there wouldn't go for that, no matter HOW you sell it.

o_O

Reactions: jht12

How long Earley stays at WHS I have not clue but I can PROMISE YOU THIS, you statement about TLH & WHS combining was told before Earley was hired IS DEAD WRONG.. THAT I PROMISE, this was a thought WIlson came up with to speed up construction of the Dist 3,4,5 career center by one full year to benefit the students with career options and choices. While not a bad idea it was somewhat a spur of the moment decision and in all honesty had we had more time to explain it all and IF folks would listen it would not have been a bad idea.

You are right, would have been an unbelievable amount of talent for the athletic side and at the same time the academics would have improved greatly . However down side of a school that size is a LOT of kids would have been left out when it came to athletics as well due to pure numbers

Honeslty I would LOVE to see SE stay for a long time and he has done a GREAT job but these days you never know. Not any secret Gaffney folks ain't happy with their situation but lot of times more to a job than others realize.

Last edited:
How long Earley stays at WHS I have not clue but I can PROMISE YOU THIS, you statement about TLH & WHS combining was told before Earley was hired IS DEAD WRONG.. THAT I PROMISE, this was a thought WIlson came up with to speed up construction of the Dist 3,4,5 career center by one full year to benefit the students with career options and choices. While not a bad idea it was somewhat a spur of the moment decision and in all honesty had we had more time to explain it all and IF folks would listen it would not have been a bad idea.

You are right, would have been an unbelievable amount of talent for the athletic side and at the same time the academics would have improved greatly . However down side of a school that size is a LOT of kids would have been left out when it came to athletics as well due to pure numbers

Honeslty I would LOVE to see SE stay for a long time and he has done a GREAT job but these days you never know. Not any secret Gaffney folks ain't happy with their situation but lot of times more to a job than others realize.

Tprice I will admit I could be wrong on WHEN Earley was told about the merger of WHS &TLH. That has been the "talk" around Anderson. What I do know for a FACT is he was telling people about it and also saying he was going to be the head coach when it happened and it was already a done deal. I heard those words from his mouth with my own ears and this was before it became public knowledge. As a matter of "talk" that is how the public really found out about what was going on. With social media it spread like wild fire and that is why the Dist. office was over run the night it first got proposed to the board.

So I will back up and apologize for WHEN he was told, but will stick to my guns about him going around and telling people it was a done deal and he was going to be the head coach of the Anderson Titans. My point being that he was saying it several weeks before it was ever proposed to the board!

Hey, not denying that last part, lot of rumors going around and it was not really a secret of Mr WIlson's idea.

I just do not want folks thinking Wilson is only worried about Football, he just wants excellence in ALL aspects of public educations.

His theory is we need to give ALL students the very best opportunity to succeed in Academics, the Arts and Athletics and give them best we can afford for all of those. Naturally Athletics get ALL the publicity but TRUST me when I say this ALL of these aspects are of the utmost importance to Mr Wilson and the entire School Dist 5 Board of Trustees, that I PROMISE

I will admit my mouth was watering thinking about the combination of TLH & WHS football teams, many times I have set and watched when they played each other and could only imagine if the 2 teams were combined .

Trust me we(or at least I) was told about this before it was public knowledge , he wanted my opinion and while I was shocked and had no idea how it would go over with the general public. It was split, some were all for it and some were dead against it but that is true with almost ANY idea someone comes up with .

The main reason for the "urgency" was we had to decide if we needed to add onto a middle school or not, nothing more. If the consolidation had gone ahead there would be no need to add onto the middle schools and we could have been working on the Career Center NOW. Naturally folks jumped to their own conclusions and they are entitled to their opinions after all it is their tax dollars. I wish, and Tom knows my thoughts and agrees with me, that he had thought of this idea a few months earlier and given folks time to digest it all and be rational and well thought out. If that had happened I think we would have have more public support to move forward

In Tom Wilsons own words, "One day 20 years from now this will come up to who ever was Superintendent of Anderson 5 and said dang this was a GREAT idea or was that guy an IDIOT". LOL.

We will never know

If he is not all about football, why did they shut down the aux. gyms and make weight rooms out of them? So winter sports could practice in off-campus in terrible gyms and no convenience and get home at 9:00?

Reactions: red raider alum
Z
If he is not all about football, why did they shut down the aux. gyms and make weight rooms out of them? So winter sports could practice in off-campus in terrible gyms and no convenience and get home at 9:00?

Pure logistics, no other way to do that.

Should all be back to normal next school year

ADVERTISEMENT