ADVERTISEMENT

Football in the Pee Dee

joe rockhead

Two Year Starter
Dec 21, 2001
How is the football down there? Are the jobs mentioned earlier already a done deal? (Latta, Creek Bridge, H-P)

what about the Florence teams? Don't sleep on South ... 23-3 the last two years .. or Dillon 3x state champs... or Myrtle Beach ... there are quite a few good schools in the Pee Dee ... it's not all about the Midlands .. lol

How is the football down there? Are the jobs mentioned earlier already a done deal? (Latta, Creek Bridge, H-P)

Generally speaking, I think Rod is right; there are plenty of exceptions to that rule because we are talking about a BROAD geographic area. Obviously, Myrtle Beach and Dillon have had consistent success in recent years, as has Hartsville since Calabrese took over and drug them out of the hole they were in.

Region VI is always tough in 3A, with Marlboro County and Hartsville remaining very competitive; Manning is in a strange zone since Robbie Briggs left.

But overall, the football is not great on a wide scale.

Here's a list of State Champions from the Pee Dee over the last decade. Not a perfect indicator, but it's a start. You could also look at who might have played for but lost in the State finals, or even what Pee Dee teams made it to Lower State Finals to get a little better idea. But, here's all I had time to do today...

:D

Pee Dee State Championships since 2005:

None

AA - Cheraw
A - Cheraw
A - Lake View

AAA - Wilson
AA - Cheraw
A - Chesterfield (Pee Dee?)

AAA - Myrtle beach
AA - Dillon

AA - Dillon
A - Chesterfield (Pee Dee?)

AAA - Myrtle beach
A - Scott's Branch (Pee Dee?)

None

AAA - Hartsville
AA - Dillon

AAA - Myrtle beach
AA - Dillon

AA - Dillon

Generally speaking, I think Rod is right; there are plenty of exceptions to that rule because we are talking about a BROAD geographic area. Obviously, Myrtle Beach and Dillon have had consistent success in recent years, as has Hartsville since Calabrese took over and drug them out of the hole they were in.

Region VI is always tough in 3A, with Marlboro County and Hartsville remaining very competitive; Manning is in a strange zone since Robbie Briggs left.

But overall, the football is not great on a wide scale.
EK2-300x190.png

"Robbie who?"

AAA - Wilson
AA - Cheraw
A - Chesterfield (Pee Dee)?

Chesterfield and Cheraw are in the same school district so I'd assume that Chesterfield is a Pee Dee school.

Yes, but Chesterfield is a bit further west... more towards Lancaster which is certainly NOT in the Pee Dee.

o_O

Yes, but Chesterfield is a bit further west... more towards Lancaster which is certainly NOT in the Pee Dee.

o_O

Even if you count Chesterfield, that's 17 championships but only 7 schools mentioned. That's what I was talking about...broad scale, not that strong.

Even if you count Chesterfield, that's 17 championships but only 7 schools mentioned. That's what I was talking about...broad scale, not that strong.

JB, I wasn't weighing in one way or the other. Just giving some data for people to try and draw a conclusion. Also have to take into consideration that there just ain't a lot of AAAA schools in the Pee Dee anymore, so that severely limits the "opportunity" to have more State Champions. Say - for example - if the Pee Dee only has four AAAA schools (WF, SF, Conway, Carolina Forest) but the Peidmont has 10 or more. Seems only logical, they would have more opportunities for championships.

Could be why the Pee Dee has so many Championships in the lower divisions.

Who knows...

:cool:

JB, I wasn't weighing in one way or the other. Just giving some data for people to try and draw a conclusion. Also have to take into consideration that there just ain't a lot of AAAA schools in the Pee Dee anymore, so that severely limits the "opportunity" to have more State Champions. Say - for example - if the Pee Dee only has four AAAA schools (WF, SF, Conway, Carolina Forest) but the Peidmont has 10 or more. Seems only logical, they would have more opportunities for championships.

Could be why the Pee Dee has so many Championships in the lower divisions.

Who knows...

:cool:

I was just pointing out that your data supported what I said. I agree, with you on the 4A opportunities; Conway made a few appearances in the last decade (2000's) but honestly, who else is there from the Pee Dee in 4A? Carolina Forest? That ain't happening. Socastee in this past realignment; that's it, unless you count the Florence teams - South and West. So, if you don't count them, there are only three 4A programs down there.

I was just pointing out that your data supported what I said. I agree, with you on the 4A opportunities; Conway made a few appearances in the last decade (2000's) but honestly, who else is there from the Pee Dee in 4A? Carolina Forest? That ain't happening. Socastee in this past realignment; that's it, unless you count the Florence teams - South and West. So, if you don't count them, there are only three 4A programs down there.
Is Sumter not considered Pee Dee? they are/were in South's Region last year weren't they ...

I... think so.... Sumter is more Pee Dee than Midlands, I would think.

Are there any OTHER AAAA schools considered Pee Dee?

They really only have 5 AAAA schools in 1/3 of the whole freakin' STATE?!?!

Need to do a google map and look at this. I've never pondered it before, but the sizes of schools by area is quite interesting.

Last edited:
I... think so.... Sumter is more Pee Dee than Midlands, I would think.

Are there any OTHER AAAA schools considered Pee Dee?

They really on have 5 AAAA schools in 1/3 of the whole freakin' STATE?!?!

Need to do a google map and look at this. I've never pondered it before, but the sizes of schools by area is quite interesting.

Sumter is kind of like Orangeburg-Wilkinson - in "no man's land" in relation to other schools their size. Difficult to align them. I don't think they are Pee Dee; some consider them part of the Midlands.

The metros of the state are where people are. There are jobs in Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, Charlotte(Fort Mill/Rock Hill). Florence, Orangeburg, Sumter are kind of outlier population areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT