ADVERTISEMENT

Growing a wrestling program, maybe.

Apr 11, 2017
I coach a SCISA wrestling team and it has it's challenges. Coming from out west and coming from a wrestling family I never thought getting kids to wrestle or try wrestling would be so challenging. I feel, and this is only my personal opinion that getting private school kids to wrestle is even more difficult. I know public school also runs into these challenges, but do a lot of kids just not have grit these days?

I have seen some great wrestlers here in SC, and I am hosting camps and trying to get my kids to wrestle in the offseason to improve. I'm hoping to show the team and school how great this sport can be! My son and one other kid are the only ones that are serious about it. My son wrestled varsity 106 all season as a 90 pound 7th grader and I would have loved to had a high schooler in that place instead.

What do you all think I can do to get bodies on the mat?

I coach a SCISA wrestling team and it has it's challenges. Coming from out west and coming from a wrestling family I never thought getting kids to wrestle or try wrestling would be so challenging. I feel, and this is only my personal opinion that getting private school kids to wrestle is even more difficult. I know public school also runs into these challenges, but do a lot of kids just not have grit these days?

I have seen some great wrestlers here in SC, and I am hosting camps and trying to get my kids to wrestle in the offseason to improve. I'm hoping to show the team and school how great this sport can be! My son and one other kid are the only ones that are serious about it. My son wrestled varsity 106 all season as a 90 pound 7th grader and I would have loved to had a high schooler in that place instead.

What do you all think I can do to get bodies on the mat?

Where is your club?

Build from the youth level, then you have middle and high schoolers who love the sport. It takes time, but building a desire to wrestle at an early age is one of the key components that the states most successful programs have in common.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT