ADVERTISEMENT

How does 3A region 1 look...?

If Wren beats Palmetto tonight (Friday), Wren will be region champs. Seneca is solidly in second and can finish no worse than second. Daniel, BHP, West Oak, and Palmetto are fighting for the last two slots. Palmetto still has 3 games to play due to rainouts. If those 4 end up tied, which is possible, it would go to some type of tiebreaker. Palmetto's best chance to make it is to upset Wren which will be really tough. I think Walhalla has been eliminated, but, can play spoiler with games remaining with WO and Palmetto. After tonight, the picture will be a little more clear. The region is really balanced, but, Wren and Seneca are the two teams who've been the most consistent and have the best chance to make noise in the playoffs (my opinion).

How did Friday night end up in this region? I heard through the grapevine Daniel had locked up 4th. Is that true? Who finished 3rd? Did Wren win it last night?

Wren locked up the region with a win at Palmetto on Friday. Congrats to the Wren kids. Also, I appreciate how they handled the win. They celebrated, but, did not overshadow the Senior night activities for the Palmetto kids. Seneca finished 2nd and is coming on strong at the end of the season. I'm sure the Daniel coaches have done their homework, so, I assume they are in. I believe that BHP can make it if they defeat Palmetto on Tuesday night in a twice rained out make up game. It's possible that it will end with 4 teams tied at 7-7, but, I think the tie breakers go to Daniel and WO if that's the case with BHP and Palmetto on the outside looking in. That said, if BHP wins Tuesday they will have 8 wins and should be in and then Daniel gets the tie breaker over WO. If somebody knows something I don't, please correct me.

This conference has to be one of the toughest in the state. Some very good softball teams will not be going to the playoffs.

Population helps...
Upper
Anderson County 191,000
Pickens County 120,000
Oconee County 34,000

Lower
Dillon County 31,300
Darlington County 67,000
Sumter County 107,000

Majority of Region 1 kids are in the heart of some good travel ball organizations and have short travels to team practices. Folks in the middle of the state have to drive 3 to 5 hours to the upstate or good teams in NC and GA. Hats off to the folks who sacrifice the commute.
Just my opinion. Us east coast folks are always saying west coast has stronger teams and organizations due to their POPULATION difference to East coast. They can cull at will and still have solid teams, where as some Schools around here (SC) have to take what they have to just make a team to play for their school.

I know Daniel had Seneca beat until a fielding error in the bottom of the 6th on a lazy slow roller to Daniels Freshman 1B. It was painful to watch that kid make that error which cost Daniel the lead on a easy out at first which also would have been the 3rd out of the inning. This Region is brutal and someone please tell me why the Colleges in SC are not all in the Upstate. Lot of very very high level unnoticed talent.

If BHP defeats Palmetto tonight at BHP, then BHP gets the third spot and Daniel will be forth. If Palmetto wins, 4 teams finish 7-7 and Daniel and West Oak win the tiebreakers over BHP and Palmetto.

The region may be competitive from top to bottom. I don't believe the region is as talented overal as it has been the past 3-4 years.

As for the college coached not all being in the upstate, I'm hoping you meant this as joke. Most all of our college coaches don't have time to get out during this time of the year, they are playing and preparing their own teams.

In three weeks most of them will be hot on the recruiting trail for another 12 weeks.

As posted above, BHP earned the three seed by beating Palmetto last night. Good luck to all 4 region teams who made the playoffs. Palmetto seniors Kacy Frady, Baylee Browning, Dallas Collins, and Brooke Ellison finished up their high school careers last night. Although it didn't end like they wanted, these 4 were either in the dugout or on the field for many big wins for Palmetto including the 2012 AA State Championship. It's been a fun ride and you guys will be missed next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT