ADVERTISEMENT

HS recruiting

lowcountrydad

Rookie
Feb 28, 2008
I don't care about what ever supposedly happened at Eastside. I am more than acquaintances with many and friends with a few. My post has nothing to do with a particular school but the SCHSL as a whole. High school sports are to promote sportsmanship, competition, camaraderie and respect. The rules should be the same from Eastside down to Wando. Individual and team victories bring s great sense of pride. All of the schools should abide by the same rules for attendance lines and official dates for participation. SCHSL should get with the county and state legislature and ensure middle school sports for all schools or disallow for all. This creates a great advantage/disadvantage for schools. Some counties allow school choice on the county some do not. Again creating a huge imbalance in competition. Maybe all schools that have their choice of students should compete in a separate conference. Let's face it all athletes and parents want to put the students in the best place to succeed. In the Lowcountry many of the great athletes from the smaller schools end up at Summerville or Fort D. Again I have many friends at all of these schools but we should all be competing on a level playing field. I don't want any athlete punished for a mistake made by coaches. Create sensible attendance rules for ALL and sensible dates for practice and completion. Then everyone follows the same rules. Easier said then done I guess but I also we should punish the athletes as a last resort, coaches and admin first. I would send my son to Eastside, Fort, RH, Summrrville or AR in a minute. David D'Ambrosio CB parent

Same rules for all

For one, I am a parent that has taking advantage of school of choice. Not for athletics, but for academics primarily. I will say, that Eastside sells itself as the whole school. I'm thankful they have a great wrestling program! They grew it from the ground up, beginning with Ed Coles and continuing it with the coaches there now....good for them. Wrestling aside, if you take a tour of Eastside, the school with its teachers, principle, and awesome environment really sell itself! Take a good look at JL Mann in baseball. it's a magnate school and most of those kids are out of the area. So what! The program has grown and developed a great product and most (if not all) the starters will move on with a college scholarship and a good degree. The magnate program is cutting edge, and I would not hesitate sending my son there as well. The school in my district...not so good. America is built on free markets, that's why I shop at Publix for my groceries rather than the junky store near my house. Freedom of choice is great! Not trying to argue any points, just my 2 cents.

Go to any of the major metro areas of the north / midwest and see the wild west show that is prep basketball.

Factor in up north you have battles between urban public, suburban public and catholic schools up there as well over athletes.

Imagine coaching in inner city Cleveland where you have to deal with open enrollment inside your district, open enrollment outside your district and catholic national powerhouses nearby.

Here on Hilton Head/Bluffton, not that big of a place, our athletes are divided by two(about to be three) public schools and 4 private schools. While wrestling does not factor into the private schools for basketball, football, golf and tennis it's a free-for-all with the kids. Just like previously mentioned it's not just the athletics it is also the academics and life preparedness of these schools that is a turn on for the kids and their parents.

I love the concept and I am not knocking any for doing what's best for their child. I just wish we all had the same opportunities. The rules and the level of academics and sports is not the same for all public schools.

One thing that is unique about Greenville, compared to many other districts around the state, is the size of the school district. Greenville has 17 or 18 high schools in one district that ALL Greenville County tax payers contribute to.

So it is not moving to a new school district. It is going to another school in your district. Much easier to do starting in the 9th grade if that school will accept you and has the room for another student.

Publix is the bomb. If your not shopping there...your not shopping. Now my wife is on Shipt so we have our groceries delivered. I was against that at first, but it does give her more free time which makes her happy. That is a goal of mine in life, make her happy. Oh well. Publix is great, the neighborhood shopping experience. I usually pop in and get a bunch of "Apron Cooking" samples. The lady there, Denise, loves it when i come because our coversations are deep and meaningful, then I gorge in front of her.

Glad Ben picked Lauren H last night on the Bachelor. Super excited for Jojo on the Bachelorette.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT