ADVERTISEMENT

Hunting for Shrine Bowlers

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
Ok; I'm going to start something I'll add to frequently from now through the announcement. Please, take part; give your feedback as well as your recommendations.

This is a list of the guys I think are SHRINE BOWL CANDIDATES; some may be well known, some may be under the radar; but if you add to the string of messages, tell us WHY you're listing whomever you're listing.

I'll start with one name and we'll add to the list; no particular order here, by the way. this is NOT a ranking.

HUNTING SHRINE BOWLERS AND ALL-STARS
OFFENSE
QB - Austin Scott, Spartanburg High School - threw for a thousand miles last season (almost) and 52 scores.
OL - John Simpson - Fort Dorchester; this cat can move mountains.
RB - Shakur Chisolm - Allendale-Fairfax; 6-1, 215 big, throwback tailback type.
WR - David Vareen, South Florence - 1,200 yards receiving last season. 14 scores; great slot guy.
RB - Stevie Williams, Berea - This is a man child. 5-9, 225 power horse. And coach is Shrine Coach.
QB - Avery McCall, Dillon - Really? Three state titles and going for a fourth this year!
ATH - Daniel Carr, Ath, Midland Valley - Because of the depth of athletes, will probably be a North-South guy but this kid is dangerous.

DEFENSE
DL - Norman Hand, Fort Dorchester- 6-3, 230 and PHYSICAL! I like this kid.
DB - Thomas Jones, Laurens - 6-2, 190 beast! Recruiting stock is about to explode.
LB - Trey Mitchell, Lexington - 6-2, 210. I like this kid; good in key-diagnosis and physical to the ball.
LB - TJ Brunson, RNE - 6-0, 220. Probably the top LB prospect (if you keep Davis as a safety but I think he's an OLB)

DB - Jeremiah Bogan 5-10, 170, Riverside - Very good hips and ball skills as a corner. Had 5 picks in 2014.
DB/LB - Stephen Davis, Jr - 6-3, 210, Dutch Fork - Another shoe in; this kid is an OLB at the next level.
LB - Datavius Wilson, 6-2, 205, Hartsville - No brainer; top LB in the state in my opinion.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:15 AM by JB@Rivals

Here goes some names from ESPN and Rivals....

Tavien Feaster - RB, Spartanburg
Javon Kinlaw - OL, Goose Creek
Bryan Edwards - WR, Conway
Stephen Davis, Jr. - S, Dutch Fork
Nyles Pickney - DL, Whale Branch
James Valdez - CB, Orangeburg-Wilkinson (formerly Lake Marion)
Drew Wilson - OG, Bamberg-Ehrhadrt
Chavis Dawkins - WR, Byrnes
Troy Pride - CB, Greer

Not eligible but could hold his own: Brandon Hill - LB, Heathwood Hall

I like all of those picks. The DB position is going to be difficult to select this year because of so many good DBs. I like Pride and Valdez but there are some others. Jeremiah Bogan of Riverside is a solid corner pick; I like Lexington's Nick Graves, as well. he's a tall rangy 6-2 guy that could play safety as well.

I like the quarterback Austin Scott from Spartanburg along with Feaster at Running Back. The running back from Berea is a lock. Wayne Green is the head coach. But he makes it on his own. I think I'm right he had over 2000 yards rushing last year. That would a real good backfield.

Glad to see David Vareen of South Florence get some love ... I have been telling everyone that he was South Florence's Best Receiver for two years now. No offense to Tabari Hines now at Wake Forest, but David was more North/South runner and didn't dance around and get your linemen in trouble with blocks in the back created by change of direction.
David Vareen, Gavin Grimsley (LB), and my son Michael Grimsley (RB) came up together playing 9th grade FB ... they were the only three chosen to play JV at the same time. It will be a fun season this coming year with those three hi-lighting and anchoring the offense and defense. #FearTheBruins

Originally posted by Neilgrimsley:
Glad to see David Vareen of South Florence get some love ... I have been telling everyone that he was South Florence's Best Receiver for two years now. No offense to Tabari Hines now at Wake Forest, but David was more North/South runner and didn't dance around and get your linemen in trouble with blocks in the back created by change of direction.
David Vareen, Gavin Grimsley (LB), and my son Michael Grimsley (RB) came up together playing 9th grade FB ... they were the only three chosen to play JV at the same time. It will be a fun season this coming year with those three hi-lighting and anchoring the offense and defense. #FearTheBruins
I have been seeing the Vareen kid a good bit lately. He has been coming down to Charleston and working with Mal Lawyer.

Originally posted by NewGamecock_07:
Rashad Byrd - LB - North Augusta High School

Is he not on the Shrine Bowl radar?
Is that the kid that is all over the field? My son played against NA first round of the playoffs.

Reactions: mathetes
Ok; I'm going to start something I'll add to frequently from now through the announcement. Please, take part; give your feedback as well as your recommendations.

This is a list of the guys I think are SHRINE BOWL CANDIDATES; some may be well known, some may be under the radar; but if you add to the string of messages, tell us WHY you're listing whomever you're listing.

I'll start with one name and we'll add to the list; no particular order here, by the way. this is NOT a ranking.

HUNTING SHRINE BOWLERS AND ALL-STARS
OFFENSE

QB - Austin Scott, Spartanburg High School - threw for a thousand miles last season (almost) and 52 scores.
OL - John Simpson - Fort Dorchester; this cat can move mountains.
RB - Shakur Chisolm - Allendale-Fairfax; 6-1, 215 big, throwback tailback type.
WR - David Vareen, South Florence - 1,200 yards receiving last season. 14 scores; great slot guy.
RB - Stevie Williams, Berea - This is a man child. 5-9, 225 power horse. And coach is Shrine Coach.
QB - Avery McCall, Dillon - Really? Three state titles and going for a fourth this year!
ATH - Daniel Carr, Ath, Midland Valley - Because of the depth of athletes, will probably be a North-South guy but this kid is dangerous.

DEFENSE
DL - Norman Hand, Fort Dorchester- 6-3, 230 and PHYSICAL! I like this kid.
DB - Thomas Jones, Laurens - 6-2, 190 beast! Recruiting stock is about to explode.
LB - Trey Mitchell, Lexington - 6-2, 210. I like this kid; good in key-diagnosis and physical to the ball.
LB - TJ Brunson, RNE - 6-0, 220. Probably the top LB prospect (if you keep Davis as a safety but I think he's an OLB)

DB - Jeremiah Bogan 5-10, 170, Riverside - Very good hips and ball skills as a corner. Had 5 picks in 2014.
DB/LB - Stephen Davis, Jr - 6-3, 210, Dutch Fork - Another shoe in; this kid is an OLB at the next level.
LB - Datavius Wilson, 6-2, 205, Hartsville - No brainer; top LB in the state in my opinion.
LB- Rashad Bryd, 6-2, 200, North Augusta- 232 total tackles, 3 int. Can cover sideline to sideline with no problem. Great make-up speed and instinct.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:15 AM by JB@Rivals

Byrd plays all three "major" boys sports each season, too with Football, Basketball, and Baseball. How often do you see that in this day and age?

John Aaron Foster 6'2 314lbs St. James ...... last year and again this year never got beat on the one vs one OL/DLcomp ...... but yet I still can not understand why he is not getting a serious look ...... two time 1st team All Region Football, Academic Plan Scholar Award Recipient, 3.7 GPA and 1st HW All Region Wrestler

Toriano Delesline From Stratford High School. Diamond in the Rough

3 Year Starter at Left Tackle. Will Play Guard or Center at the Next Level.....

6'2 300lbs and a broad jump of 100+ inches, 350lb Bench, 500lb Squat

He will be at the Summerville Shrine Bowl Combine on May 16

C.J Jackson from Greenwood high... All D2 schools have been asking about him and Ik some D1 schools also... 6'1 180 rising senior. Playing DB/WR thus year. Emergency QB.. He let played QB his first 2 years. He's a great athlete!!

Rashad Byrd is also an excellent student in the class room. First Class Leader by Example, and Motivates and Inspires the Younger players around him to over Achieve!! That is the type player that deserves a opportunity to play in the Shrine Bowl!!

Another Beast to watch is a Lineman by the name of Joe Mazzone from North Augusta. He was hurt last year with a broken bone in his foot, but he played with it thru the season. He is now healed, his weight room numbers are incredible, and he will be a BEAST to be dealt with by the opposition this coming season!!

Chad Gilchrist from Strom Thurmond is a great candidate for the Shrine Bowl...He is a two way player RB/LB....He played the entire season hurt last year and so his numbers will not reach out and grab you right now, but if this kid can stay healthy, he is a game changer.

Mason Ray had a pretty good season but against Airport he was pretty much shut down when playing from the right side. He did get one sack from the right and a couple tackles when shifted to the left side for a few plays. Airport did shift there best blocker from Tight End to left tackle to try to stop him. Not knocking Mason Ray but Shrine Bowl talent should be there every week.

I could see Braxton Westfield, WR, from Christ Church being selected. He has good hands, height, and I believe he has around 7 offers.

A few names for you JB...a pair of OT from Marlboro County..Cameron Johnson 6'8 275 & Francois McFall 6'4 280...I know Johnson camped at Wake Forest, Virginia, App St, UNC...McFall camped at NC A&T & Newberry...both are solid Johnson is being recruited by Virginia, Wake, GA Southern, App St, Yale, Furman & others..McFall by A&T, SC State, Newberry, Citadel & others..
Also Tylik Johnson 6'0 WR from Marlboro County catches everything...
Kijana Johnson 6'6 185 WR/LB from Marlboro..
Adonis Sealy 6'3 270 OL from Dillon 3 year starter camped at ECU & App St..

Check out Nick McCloud of South Pointe High School. He is a 6'2", 177 lb. defensive back that has racked up more than a dozen offers at a position he didn't even play last year. They have been sleeping on this kid for a minute. Already listed in the Rivals Top 20...........

Rashad Byrd is the best defensive player in the CSRA. He tackles everyone, generates a bunch of turnovers and plays WR and Wildcat QB on offense.

Adrian McGee is the best pick for RB. Greer High School. 2014 season-19 TD's, 1500 yards rushing. This year he has 268 yards in two games with 4 TD's so far. Adrian is an all-purpose back and is also an aggressive free saftey on defense.

Nicholas McCloud (Southpointe High School)
6'2 180 CB / S
10+ offers which include Northwestern and Kansas State

Plays the game on another level.. does nothing spectacular just is very physical (makes it hard for receivers to get into their routes- loves bump coverage), good speed and big time Tackler. I notice he doesnt get a lot of action to his side from opposing offenses (think that speaks for itself). Through 4 games this season he has 2 int return for TDs, has given up 1 TD. Also moves over to Safety in some packages... Also starts at receiver ... but is ideal for the "new CB" tall and physical, just turned 17 so still possibly has some growing to do. Mentored by Stephon Gilmore (Buffalo Bills) so he gets a lot of good advise on the position.

Sooo.... where does Logan Bailey (QB, Chapin) figure in now?

Through 5 games:
Rushing - 72 carries for 345 yds (4.79 ypc); 14 TDs
Passing - 82 of 129 (63.6%) for 1,279 yds; 12 TDs; 2 INTs
Oh, and 2 quick kicks pinning opp. inside the 20.

6' 200lbs; member of 1,000lb Club; 4.69 in 40.....

:D

Reactions: COLADOG
Greg Ruff is completing 85% of his passes 18tds 0 ints also he is leading South Pointe in rushing as well

Here goes some names from ESPN and Rivals....

Tavien Feaster - RB, Spartanburg
Javon Kinlaw - OL, Goose Creek
Bryan Edwards - WR, Conway
Stephen Davis, Jr. - S, Dutch Fork
Nyles Pickney - DL, Whale Branch
James Valdez - CB, Orangeburg-Wilkinson (formerly Lake Marion)
Drew Wilson - OG, Bamberg-Ehrhadrt
Chavis Dawkins - WR, Byrnes
Troy Pride - CB, Greer

Not eligible but could hold his own: Brandon Hill - LB, Heathwood Hall
Kinlaw does not play OL; He should but doesn't .... Any success at the next level will be on that side of the ball as well.

Um... maybe when I posted that back on APRIL-freakin-6TH, he did....

Besides, I was quoting the sites. Is he really 6'7", 285 as 24/7 has him listed?

:p

Sooo.... where does Logan Bailey (QB, Chapin) figure in now?

Through 5 games:
Rushing - 72 carries for 345 yds (4.79 ypc); 14 TDs
Passing - 82 of 129 (63.6%) for 1,279 yds; 12 TDs; 2 INTs
Oh, and 2 quick kicks pinning opp. inside the 20.

6' 200lbs; member of 1,000lb Club; 4.69 in 40.....

This award should not be based on stats alone. Stats can be skewed and easily swayed by so much. If one player is the only focus of the coaches and often takes the opportunity to hold onto it versus distributing it to other open options... of course he will get gaudy numbers. Now if a coach calls a true balanced attack, distributes the ball around and is not partial to one player on all calls... the numbers will not be there. What I'm saying is stats don't always tell the true quality of a player. Feaster, no doubt is Mr Football.... Sorry dad...

Let's see... you joined 2 weeks ago and have 4 posts... all slights and backhand comments about a particular player.

:rolleyes:

Funny stuff.

Let's see.... Top quarterback's in SC...
1. Austin Scott
2. Collin Hill
3. McCall
4. Armstrong
5. Yafari Werts
6. Brandon Tillman
7. Logan Bailey
Let's see... you joined 2 weeks ago and have 4 posts... all slights and backhand comments about a particular player.

:rolleyes:

Funny stuff.
No back handed or negative comments about anyone at all, your boy is a very good athlete. However your comments trying to put him above others strictly because he is your boy is very back handed... What is funny is to see all of your messages so directed and weighted heavily on one player while hiding behind the curtain (dad.. I mean coach).... Hey congrats to your boy and the team.... great year however the politics are horrible. You have receivers that are all 6'3"+ (and one who is super fast) and many times are all open and your boys tucks it and runs. Your boy (and you) are mainly worried about his stats. For shame. No Superman.... Bo Callahan

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT