ADVERTISEMENT

Injury Time

Dec 16, 2012
This past weekend at the State tournament, I noticed several wrestlers calling injury time, not because they were injured but because they were about to be pinned. Without saying names I think most people on here will know what team those wrestlers are a part of. I believe something needs to be done about this. I personally think that if a wrestler calls injury time while on his back there should be more consequences than just an extra point. I think that the opposing wrestler should get the extra point and also get choice on the first injury time. Then on the second it should be 2 points and choice again. How do we feel about this?

I think injury time should be like college anyway. In HS first injury time is basically a timeout... and you get basically a period worth of time to catch your breath... I can think of 2 teams in particular who use this in the 2nd period almost every match

Using injury time when you are injured is fine. But certain teams(especially one) are abusing the privilege. Injury time should not be called when a wrestler is getting pinned. This is just poor sportsmanship and the coaches are telling the wrestler to do it in most situations.

Why so cryptic? Just say what team you are talking about. I do agree that there should be more done when a kid is going to his back, and twirls his finger for the escape.

Isn't Rock Hill the ones that told there kid to say he couldn't go on to win the match when he was pretty much beat or was that Fort Mill? They are a few teams in 2A that pull the injury time to stop from getting pinned. I hate it when they go to their back and start screaming. The best i have seen is when a wrestler went to his back and screamed for the 2nd time so the ref called the pin with him not even close...awesome.

Come on man.... After the explosion that happened on a previous board when a guy said some stuff about a kid, you're wanting people to call out an entire program! You're out of your mind.

Yes that was Rock Hill against Fort Mill. The coach from Rock Hill told his wrestler to sit down and say he could not finish the match after the illegal moved was called and after the wrestler had stood up and was perfectly fine to wrestle.

BeachBCHS, You cant call out a program, especially a storied program as this one. Are they shady... yes... should something be done about it... yes... But does it really need to be said what programs are doing this? What if they don't teach/practice it. what if the kids are just smart and know how to play the system and the coaches chew them out immediately after the match each and every time.

How many times have you seen the coach chew them out for doing it.....you don't! Anybody who knows anything about 4A wrestling in SC will tell you this is the case. Snake in the grass

BeachBCHS, You cant call out a program, especially a storied program as this one. Are they shady... yes... should something be done about it... yes... But does it really need to be said what programs are doing this? What if they don't teach/practice it. what if the kids are just smart and know how to play the system and the coaches chew them out immediately after the match each and every time.
Also this comment can go back to the other thread about the illegal scrimmages. Why is it wrong to say something about as you put it, " a storied program?" Are you saying that if this was a team that never won anything it would be OK to talk about, but since they do win it is not Ok?

"You cant call out a program, especially a storied program as this one." No where in that statement does it condone the use of this tactic by any program. You want to talk about what's going on fine, but leave the school out of it man. Going back to the other thread... I don't think a single school has been mentioned in the form of breaking the rule. They elude to it, but again man don't be trashing a school because they play the system. Talk about how the system can be fixed.

That was the purpose of the thread. Did you not read the first post? It says what do we think of this with ideas about how to keep it from happening. In the other thread two schools, plus coaches names have been mentioned directly. There is no point in posting subjects on here if you are not going to say who or what the problem is when you say it. Why sugar coat something that everyone already talks about?

Then you sir are more interested in the determent of a program and its wrestlers and fan community than you are in "fixing" the problem. In the words of my mother.... Would you jump off a bridge if everyone else was doing it? No? Then fix the problem or talk about how.

That is what I just said. The original post said that the problem needed to be fixed and I gave ideas how it could be fixed. The jumping off a bridge reference would only make sense here if I was saying that everyone should call injury time instead of being pinned just because Rock Hill does it. I never said that though. I am not about the determent of a sport. I am simply saying that this team has been getting away with way too much and the rules need to be reevaluated to keep this from happening.

Why can't someone call out a program? Is their a PC police walking the beat on scvarsity? I like Rock Hill wrestling program mostly during the Barnes era.... even though i had to wrestle some studs from their.

Rock Hill during the Barnes era was a totally different program than it is right now. Barnes was a straight up coach that did not bend the rules. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they are able to do so well each year and have always been a top 4 team, but when you have the talent to do that without bending the rules, why bend them? Win a match straight up or lose the match straight up. Win like a champion and lose like a champion.

I didn't call out anybody, you said there were 2 teams in the upper state who did this all the time in the second period. I just wanted to who YOU were talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT