ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Park transferring from Georgia

I20HWY

Rookie
Oct 17, 2014
Aiken
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/jacob-parks-father-knows-nothing-of-son-leaving-ug/nmZK3/

Do we label this a bust or just a missed evaluation in recruiting? My hunch is a little bit of both but I was never that high on the young man. I figure he'll wind up at a D2 or at best a 1-AA school . Bunch of my Dawg friends down here are upset! None of these guys on this list have done much. I pulled this gem from a few years ago:

WHO IS THE STATE'S BEST

2014's Park is at the top of the list
I
think there are several quarterbacks who, as they continue to develop, are going to be mentioned in this type of conversation. But the question is, if I were a coach and could select any quarterback in the state to be my signal caller, who would it be? The answer is Jacob Park of Stratford High School. We got a good look at this rising junior during his freshman season, where he started for the Knights. He attended the 2011 QB1 Quarterback Challenge and immediately found his way into our prospect hot list. At 6-4, 210lbs, Park easily passes the eye-ball test. He's got a skill set that sets him apart from other guys in the state because he ads size to that set. From a passer standpoint, he spins the ball as well as anyone in the state, with great velocity and rope throws on the short to mid-range timing patterns. He's got great footwork and really controls his body well in the pocket. What I like about this kid's passing skill set is his accuracy. With a quick release, he's got great placement ability, putting the ball where only his receiver can make the play and he thows very catchable footballs. He shows good field vision, rarely making a bad read in the passing game. The interesting thing about Park is that he is a dangerous runner. I've heard several analyst talk about him as a pro-style quarterback because of his size. Uh uh. This kid has solid enough run skills that he has to be considered a big dual threat quarterback. He doesn't run a lot, but when he does, he's effective, with more than 10 yards per carry and rarely gives up a sack. He's a great kid with solid leadership. Watch the film and see how poised he is in any situation. In camp settings, he's always giving direction to his receivers, as well as other quarterbacks. I like what he brings to the table in terms of his personality and character.

WHO'S CLOSE TO PARK

Bentley has all the tools and is extremely accurate
There is at least one or two guys who you could mention here. I like Shuler Bentley of Byrnes. He's a very cerebral player and has the skill set to make all of the throws. The knock on him is going to be size, but keep in mind, his step brother fought that same enigma and is now the starting quarterback at Rutgers University. Bentley is well coached and grew up watching his dad, who happens to be one of the best quarterback coaches in high school football, instruct the position. He's got adequate arm strength but I think his strongest two assetts are his ability to see the field well and the accuracy of his delivery. His field vision, along with his QBIQ enables him to make solid decisions with the football, which increases his value at the position.

Lexington's Will Hunter is from the same mold as Bentley. Both fight the battle of "size" but both have the qualities of being a "thinking" quarterback with solid accuracy. While I don't think either Hunter nor Bentley is anywhere nearly as mobile as Park, both have the ability to get of trouble when necessary.

So, that's three very good quarterbacks, all from the Class of 2014. So, where do they fit in the big picture of the group of quarterbacks in South Carolina?

Rank Name School Class
1 Jacob Park Stratford High School Class of 2014
2 Shuler Bentley Byrnes High School Class of 2014
3 Will Hunter Lexington High School Class of 2014
4 C.J. Frazier Bluffton High School Class of 2013
5 Mykal Moody Conway High School Class of 2013
6 Cody Turner North Augusta High School Class of 2013
7 Devin Pearson South Pointe High School Class of 2013
8 A.C. Whaley Richland Northeast High School Class of 2013
9 Ryne Strickland J.L. Mann High School Class of 2013
10 Tyler Keane Myrtle Beach High School Class of 2013
11 Grant Devitte Irmo High School Class of 2013
12 Matt Chapia Chapin High School Class of 2014
13 Bo Baldwin South Aiken High School Class of 2014
14 Kelly Bryant Abbeville High School Class of 2015
15 Ben Beck Woodruff High School Class of 2014
16 Derrek Olenchuk Dutch Fork High School Class of 2014
17 Shaq Johnson Hartsville High School Class of 2013
18 Tyrecous Garrett Boiling Springs High School Class of 2013
19 Chase Turner Chesnee High School Class of 2014
20 Josh Council Camden High School Class of 2013
21 Luke Lancaster Gaffney High School Class of 2014
22 Mason Rudolph Northwestern High School Class of 2014
23 Spencer Carrol York High School Class of 2013
24 Zeke Walker Brookland-Cayce High School Class of 2014
25 Solomon McCormick Allendale-Fairfax High School Class of 2013
26 Trey Robinson Dorman High School Class of 2013
27 Keiston Smith Union High School Class of 2013
28 Daniel Thompson Boiling Springs High School Class of 2015
29 Devin Kilgore Cane Bay High School Class of 2014
30 Matthew Harkness Berkeley High School Class of 2014

As you see Mason Rudolph is ranked 24th and many would say he was one of the under rated kids...When Rudolph number was called he stepped up and most would agree was the best QB in the class.
As for Park, He will end up at another school...Would surprise me if he does Juco for a year then goes to Colorado St, Va Tech, Marshall or somewhere like that. I think he doesn't live up to his elite 11 hype, I think Bentley does well (Named Starter at ODU) and Mason at Ok St does well...I think Park will be the Willy Korn of the group, I think he goes to another school and even ends up transferring again. JMHO

I'm not posting a reply to put any kid down but what hit me was from the re-post when it was stated that the kid passed the eyeball test. And this is not specific to Parks but recruiting as a whole. Outside of grades, the size of kids is a big big factor. So looking at size can fool you in some instances. And don't get me wrong I understand what kids have to do to get noticed now, but the biggest thing to me is what do they do on the field, especially in the biggest games against the best competition. Putting up big numbers against over-matched competition will give you the numbers and if you have the looked for size then yes you will probably get the bigger offers. Killing it at combines gets you noticed also, especially if you have the size for your position. But you also have to look at how did the kid perform in real competition, especially when going against the best. Sometimes that bad game in the big game may not be just a bad game but a truth indicator. Lots of undersized kids get overlooked because they don't pass the eyeball test. Just my opinion. Not trying to put anyone down or down the process. I hope all of the kids who want to play college ball get an opportunity and that they do well.

Bust? Missed Evaluation? Article indicates he was in the mix for starting job and then a prvious starter transferred to UGA from UVA. Not ready to pass judgement; kid may just want to transfer to a school where he can get playing time or playing time sooner. Kid may also feel jilted by UGA for bringing in another QB. Don't know the kid or any more details than what is posted, but DEFINITELY NOT ready to put the "BUST" tag on him.

Reactions: swampfox18
I'm not sure how much I would have expected a 2014 high school graduate to have accomplished by now at a top program. A list of 2014 high school graduates with the qualifier "none of these guys on this list have done much" doesn't seem very realistic. If your D1 program is based on freshmen QBs, you don't have much of a program (a freshmen should be a surprise starter at a decent program, not an expected one).

I think Jacob ends up at an FCS school right away, or transfers to Colorado State. Don't think that Bobo hasn't already thought about it.

I've talked to Jacob and his dad and it just wasn't a good situation at UGA recently. That happens with a LOT of kids.

I think he'll do fine wherever he lands.

ADVERTISEMENT