ADVERTISEMENT

JB is B team football dead now?

hr1

May 4, 2014
is B team football dead because of the 8 quarter rule ? if so thats crazy . for instance Lex. has had a B team ever 1970 at least. The B team program is needed to bring the kids along. My opinion is that not many 9th graders are capable or able mentaly to play varsity. The first to do it at Lex was Charlie Langford the second was Will hunter that i am aware of. both good ball players. Charlie went to Clemson but didnt last but two years what I I think that decision needs to be looked at further JB whats your thoughts

is B team football dead because of the 8 quarter rule ? if so thats crazy . for instance Lex. has had a B team ever 1970 at least. The B team program is needed to bring the kids along. My opinion is that not many 9th graders are capable or able mentaly to play varsity. The first to do it at Lex was Charlie Langford the second was Will hunter that i am aware of. both good ball players. Charlie went to Clemson but didnt last but two years what I I think that decision needs to be looked at further JB whats your thoughts

First of all, there were many more between Charlie Langford and Will Hunter. Russell Leaphart started at LB for the Wildcats as a freshman the year after Langford graduated.

As for B-team being dead; I think the 8 quarter rule will hurt a lot of 9th grade programs. With the inability to dress players on both Thursday and Friday Night, all the juniors and many of the good sophomores will be dressing Friday. That leaves some of the sophomores and the freshman to fill out a JV team.

You may see some teams do away with the JV program; they will keep 9th grade football and dress everyone else on Friday nights.

This was a BAD move by the League.

Many Midlands area teams are dropping B Team.

Not ALL.... but a good number of them.

:(

Riverside in Greenville County is dropping their JV team. They just don't have the numbers to compete in their current region without having the younger kids dressed on Friday nights.

The secondary issue comes from the kids that don't get to play either. For instance, you can't dress your 2nd string QB on Thursday nights. If number 1 goes down, you can't afford to drop to #3 on a Friday night. Same with back up RBs and back up Centers. So you have your next in line kids getting no snaps like they would have under the old rules. You also have to worry about attrition. Some kids that were 11th graders that might be a potential contributor as a 12th grader but not quite there yet might not have minded playing on Thursday nights and getting development time as long as they were dressing on Friday nights. Now you have to convince those kids to play Thursday nights and sit in the stands on Friday nights. Many will just walk away from the game.

It is going to be an issue for many schools from 1A to 4A. I do not know how to fix the concussion issue to help this out. We live in such a litigious society- I understand WHY 8 quarters is gone but it will cost schools players that may have been good by their SR year.

I'm hearing from people the hurt will be more for 10th graders because they are the varsity backup and need to be dressed for Friday night, but are missing out on critical game-play in the JV game.

Reactions: red raider alum
When will the "Week" begin?. If they start the "week" on Friday morning you could use your JV players if injurys happen. They could not play the next Thursday, but you would have the week to prepare for that.

Just Wondering?

It is Friday to Friday. It was worded to mean that no kid who participates on Thursday can even dress out on Fri.

Period.

Rod is right... schools will have to adapt. They did it before the 8 quarter rule was allowed, so they will have to figure out how to do it, again.

I must admit... dropping JV instead of B Team is an interesting idea....

... but either way, LOTS of kids will lose game day experience. This will set our athletes back a little, regardless HOW you qualify it.

:eek:

Every damn time I post.

LOL! Now THAT is funny!

Seriously, schools will have to adapt. That said, I don't think this solves the concussion problem and using that as the excuse is asinine. The rise in concussions in soccer is evident, as well, and those kids play more games per week than any of the sports, especially when you count the "weekend tournaments." So, if they are going to use the concussion argument for football then they need to apply it to the other sports as well.

When has the SCHSL been anything but asinine? What bothers me is that this decision was made with ZERO data to support it. No one has done a study or any research. A knee-jerk reaction by the league based on a knee-jerk recommendation by the trainers association.

Reactions: BallCoach17
So I guess they are going to tell soccer players to quit using their heads to head a soccer ball and then tell cheerleaders that compete competitively not to do it anymore because they could get a concussion.

When has the SCHSL been anything but asinine? What bothers me is that this decision was made with ZERO data to support it. No one has done a study or any research. A knee-jerk reaction by the league based on a knee-jerk recommendation by the trainers association.

Knee jerk recommendation by the trainers association? How do you figure? I'm sure they know and study more about concussions than you do.

Well intended, but not very well thought out recommendation. While it will reduce the number of kids who actually play in games, as many 10th and 11th graders will instead ride the bench for an entire year or two as back-ups instead of playing in JV games....it will actually increase the number of head collisions for the top 15 or so players who will now have to play way more snaps. Under the 8 quarter rule, most teams dressed up JV's as emergency back-ups and as special teams players. This allowed them to have enough depth to two platoon. So most kids were playing 50-120 snaps a game. Now you will have those top "starters" playing offense, defense, and special teams. Maybe playing over 200 snaps a game. So we will reduce the number of heads that get injured, but will not likely see a reduction in head injuries due to increased exposure to those who actually get to play in the games. And if repeated head trauma is the biggest concern, then this change will increase that risk.

Reactions: FootballLegend87
Knee jerk recommendation by the trainers association? How do you figure? I'm sure they know and study more about concussions than you do.

I am sure they do. However, in making this recommendation, they presented ZERO data to back it up. At no point, as far as I have been able to gather, have the trainers done a study on the effects of the 8 quarter rule on concussions. This was simply the easiest solution to dealing with those that abuse the rule and have kids play the entire game on both Thursday and Friday night: recommend they do away with it to prevent concussions. Hell, I blame the media as much as anyone. They act like every person that puts on a helmet will fry their brain and the family will sue. The whole damn country is scared to death of concussion lawsuits.

Reactions: FootballLegend87
For any study to be relevant to 8tr rule and concussions there would have to be data on how many concussions there were for kids who actually played 8 quarters a week. Every school now reports their concussion data it would not be hard to find out which kids got concussions on Friday after playing on Thursday. I am willing to bet they did not do that and if they did the concussion rate would be no higher than the normal concussion rate.

concussions maybe a serious problem but the 8 quarter rule is not going to stop it . besides the majority of the kids that play on thursday night (jv) game sit the bench on friday night. teams should go back to the old way 9th grade play B team 10th grade play jv 11th & 12th varsity. I know alot of people may not be in favor of that idea but you could always bring up a jv player to play on varsity . the two teams usually run thesame offense & defense. 9th graders need to stay B team what yall think.

ADVERTISEMENT