ADVERTISEMENT

Just Wondering...

May 23, 2014
For those parents and grandparents with young women doing well with their athletic gifts, are we harming or hampering them now or possibly in the future by constantly touting our particular favorite's prowess, power and expertise over the abilities of all others? Softball is a team sport...we should not forget that the success of one is the success of all. I truly do not believe that any game is won or lost by the actions or in-actions of just one player. They are all important for the overall success of the team.

While we want our children (and grandchildren) to have goals and aim for the stars, are we expounding their abilities superficially and creating an environment where they are expected to live up to our expectations and our desires for them rather than formulating their own course? What happens down the road if they are unable to measure up to the bar that we have set for them?

Granted there are some athletes who flat shine, but let them shine on their own. We need to let them be recognized on their own merit and try (it's hard I know) not to always be engaged in a "brag fest" about our particular favorite. The public wearies over that being at the forefront of everything else.

It depends on the players age. Once in high school you will find the experienced parents downplay their players accolades. And go out of their way to prop up in words the teammates parents when the other playr does well.

That has been my experience. the actual parent is usually complaining about the mistakes their kid made, and receiving the complements from other parents. Makes for a more condusive team.

It does take time to learn this parental behavior. At 12U most parents shine their child brightly. By 18 years old the parent realizes how tough the competition is, and seems to downplay a players great plays, because they know right around the corner is a slump waiting to happen. Best to be quiet when your player has had a great game. Let others talk For you. And they will, if they see you are a parent of the same cloth.

Last edited:
BS, agree completely. I have known the dad of one of BSs more decorated/"famous" athletes virtually all of my life. Would never even know he had a kid on the field, was always complimentary to the others. Did not need to tell you about his kid, it was obvious the kid could play. Parents of Pitcher with most wins in SC history were always very mindful of the other players. Witnessed them buy a young rookie a milkshake after her first varsity AB and act like she had hit a walk off HR. Rookie had actually done what the team needed; a sacrifice bunt. The star of the team normally does not need mom/dad or anyone else to boost them up and may not even care if they attend game. That rookie, the kid in a slump or kid that is not sure of themselves is who really needs the support from family and fans. Been around some other pretty cool athletes and most parents of the special kids feel no need to shine a light on their kid. I compare it to golf; I am not really worried about the guy who tells me how great he is, the guy who says nothing gives me concern. If how your kid plays defines how you feel about yourself or defines you or your child; may want to consider taking a step back. IMO, all about security and confidence, and sadly not the kid; the parent....

Reactions: Taxguru2
Still just wondering... Who is responsible for deciding the field and plate umpires for games? How are they selected? Is there a difference in the selection process for a regular season game vs. a state championship game? How can the schools be assured of no bias on their play call?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT