4. Inman
5. Greenwood
6. Rock Hill
7. Sumter
8. Greenville
9. Gaffney
10. Murrells Inlet

Others: Lancaster, Horry, York, Spartanburg

Any idea what these teams are losing after this year? Are a lot of guys aging out of the top 5?

GHSindians4ever knows more than me but being able to bring back Damien Eubanks, Houston Wright, and Bryson Ward is probably as good of a three as any team in the state. I bet they finish 1 or 2 in League 6 next year. Plus Jack Masters. They deff lose alot though like he said. No pitching really coming back

If they can convince Austin Duckett and Ashby Smith to play for them 2018.

Why didn't Josh Gregory play for them this summer? Even if his coaches didn't want him to pitch he still could of hit for them

Ward is a question mark? have heard he might play and that he might not. Ashby played last year and quit (per our legion rules you do that and you are done who knows might change their mind) Don't know why Gregory didn't play

One of our issues is college coaches are not wanting their pitchers to play Legion baseball during the summer. Also we are starting to see colleges wanting there position players to not play either.

But if the kid commits as a sophomore they still want them to play travel ball after during Junior year. Makes no sense. I understand them not wanting their kids to get hurt but taking 4 months off is not necessarily good for the kids either.

I think I'll go with the leading medical experts on baseball injury prevention when we consider what is recommended for "months off" from pitching:

"ASMI also found that pitchers who competed more than 8 months per year were 5 times as likely to suffer an injury requiring surgery. Pitchers should refrain from throwing for at least 2-3 months per year and avoid competitive pitching for at least 4 months per year."

Dawgpoundit I totally agree with you on the pitchers perspective. I meant more as a position player ending their high school season in early May and not playing competitively again till September at college. I've had a lot of players come back to me and say I wish I would of played Legion. The first 2-3 weeks they were rusty. A lot of them get out of shape physically in those 4 months.

I also think it is important if you do not do to well academically to go to college early in the summer and take summer classes and get acclimated to the college experience. Then have the opportunity to work out with some assistant coaches as well.

Problem with the pitchers is your playing your high school season February through the first week or two of May. Then you jump right into Travel or Legion through July. Then Technically you have "August" off. Then Fall Baseball September and October. Then you rest November-January 3 months. I guess that gives you the 4 months.

But my issue with that is most players in those 4 months are probably getting private pitching lessons and are continually throwing. That's why I really think playing a Fall or Winter Sport is very important to help build other muscles and give your arm a break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT