ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington Spring Practice

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
Had a chance to stop by my alma mater today and check out the Wildcats Spring practice. Big group of guys out for workouts.

This team is scary good at the skills positions. Offensively, they will have a battle at the QB job between Brandon Blake, who started the final three games for Lexington last season, and senior Donny Baker, who had started until an ankle injury sidelined him for the final game and playoffs. As of now, it looks like Blake is running with the one's.

Slade Carroll returns at running back and this kid is solid. WAY under rated and picked up his first offer from PC this week. Blue Collar, physical runner.

Good group of wide receivers with Jayson Hopper, Tyler Schadewald, and Daquan Wells (rising junior).

The line is very slim with little depth. They do return rising junior Hunter Blackmon who is going to be a force from his left tackle spot.

Defensively, the Cats return Jaylen McCoy, a rising sophomore, on the defensive front along with rising junior Matthew Boring. Both look very good.

Trey Mitchell returns to anchor the linebacker group, along with junior Jake Samples.

The secondary is strong with senior Nick Graves and rising junior Eric Ricker.

The punter, Christian Kinsley, is a beast as special teams players go and will be a weapon on special teams for the Wildcats.

The line is huge. Averaging 6'3" and around 265+ pounds. They are 4/5 are rising juniors and if they can get acclimated to the varsity level early they will be just fine. Depth is a concern and they will need to stay healthy to compete with the big boys.

The line is huge. Averaging 6'3" and around 265+ pounds. They are 4/5 are rising juniors and if they can get acclimated to the varsity level early they will be just fine. Depth is a concern and they will need to stay healthy to compete with the big boys.

When I say "the line is thin" I'm referring to the lack of depth. You are right, they have some good looking kids, but I didn't see more than a handful. I think that Blackmon is going to be a stud at the left tackle spot. I think the Boring kid should move to offense out of need on the OL. He's going to be a very good player.

But Rod is right; without a line that can play all year (avoid injuries) it is tough to compete in any classification but especially in 4A.

Now, JB.... it is not polite to call a kid Boring.

Just saying...

;)

ADVERTISEMENT