ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Lexington Wrestling Program is using the Penn State Jerry Sandusky Defense.

Jan 27, 2015
http://www.wistv.com/story/31716990...h-wrestlers-assaulted-freshman-in-locker-room

Wow can’t believe Lexington Wrestling Program and Administrators define acceptable horse play as hitting each other so hard to leave a welt on their naked teammates (Five Star). Horseplay also includes holding down naked teammates and five starring them and urinating on each other.

The response is great --We have never had any supervision in the locker room so we weren’t aware of anything happening. (The same Penn State defense) We have 29 wrestlers admitted to horseplay. (The same Jerry Sandusky defense) WTF like the wrestlers are going to says assault have been going on all year and please charge me with the other boys.

In what world does a high school wrestling coach not make sure there is no hazing going on let alone naked “horseplay”? Thank God they opened River Bluff for my sons.

I suppose the school should install cameras in the locker room, showers, toilet area, etc... and stream it to a coach's Ipad - or better yet a coach should spend every minute watching the kids.

I walked off the mat every day after a match or practice with bruises - sometimes even a bloody nose or mouth. Get a grip. Yes, hazing is unacceptable, but let us not react like this was a sexual assault. Sounds to me like kids were being stupid kids - as they often are - and the coaches and administration handled it correctly.

If getting hit hard enough to leave a bruise is that big of a concern, maybe that athlete should consider tennis before he is on the receiving end of a hard cross-face or gets his back bowed-up by a good leg rider.

First of all, you should be happy that they opened River Bluff because your sons probably wouldn't have started at Lexington anyway. Second of all, you probably didn't wrestle or play any sport at all in school or you would know that "slapping a kid so hard on the back that it leaves a welt", which I'm sure is an exaggeration in itself, is part of messing around and being a part of a sports team. Now you're trying to compare this situation to what happened at Penn State? You want them to analyze every single thing they do in the locker room, that's ridiculous. I'm sure you're sons teammates at River Bluff have done plenty of stuff similar, if not worse, because I know of a lot of them. I find it amusing you took time out of your day to bash Lexington and try to compare their situation at all to the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

This should not be the main point of discussion here, but this in no way compares to the actions of Jerry Sandusky, and nothing productive will come from equating the two situations.

Trying to put the two issues together was just an attempt to try and bash on Lexington and make the situation seem even worse.

To compare this to the sexual assault of a minor, by an individual in a position of power is shockingly misguided and borderline offensive to victims of sexual assault. Feign your YouTube comment section outrage somewhere else.

Ok- This is good conversation it offers a teachable moment for people unfamiliar with horse play and sexual assault.

The stories and article below are not a big leap from what leads to a Penn State type incident. Same excuses being said here were used for all the cases below and Penn State.

Please show me article and studies where aggressive naked locker “horseplay” is a positive and healthy activity for student athletes and does not offer an opportunity for predators. I can provide More studies and go into why they were peeing on each other during their “Horse Play”.

Excerpts from links that follow….

“This is a viscerally shocking and disturbing story. It’s uncomfortable. And we must not look away. We must not shrug is off as ‘boys being boys’ gone a bit too far. Because this is not an isolated incident. It is no small deal.

According to MaleSurvivor Executive Director Christopher Anderson, the number of boys facing this kind of sexual assault is much higher than we realize and much higher than we want to think about, and our ‘boys will be boys’ dismissal of the harm being done to our children only condones more abuse and creates more victims among our boys.”

“Through violence, abuse, and humiliation. it’s an ugly self-reinforcing cycle. Those who were once victims ascend to the role of alpha males, where they get to inflict harms on a new set of victims, and put their own victimhood behind them. And so on and so forth. Wash, rinse, repeat.”

“As indicated in the table, the percent of student-athletes and non-athletes in self-reported sexually abusive relationships was not significantly different. However, male student-athletes experienced some form of sexual assault at rates significantly (p<.01) higher than their non-athlete peers, and female students overall experienced sexual violence at rates twice that of men, across all categories. “

http://fox59.com/2016/02/02/four-ok...ged-in-connection-with-sexual-assault-on-bus/

http://kfor.com/2016/02/04/graphic-...fter-allegedly-sexually-assaulting-classmate/

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/14/a_n...oom_sexual_assault_is_all_too_common_partner/

http://www.koco.com/news/moore-poli...ns-involving-students-at-two-schools/37773518

Oh I could care less about Lexington wrestling one way or the other as long as my kids are not there but educating and making people aware how wrong it is to pee on and touch someone when there naked in the locker is just wrong. Once again please tell me how naked "horse play" is a critically part of wrestling. I admit I could be missing something. I just never felt the need to pee on my naked teammates and touch them---- maybe that's why I was lousy at sports.

I read the news report and talked to many of the wrestlers.
You need talk to the 2 detectives who investigated the cases being multiple --- read their reports and why they decided the charges would be assault. A person just can't say I'm going to charge you with assault and your charged. The police decide on the statue violated and seriousness of the crime then the person is charged. They are being charged criminally not civilly maybe that's whats confusing you. There was a criminal investigation the TV news and papers print what they think sell. It's hard for media do stories between two minosr because everything is redacted because the ages of the victims. We have Ex Lex people at River Bluff and heard the stories long before this. The reason for news on this one case is because they can be charged as adults and their pictures sell more papers can't do that with minors.

I don't blame you for not knowing it is really difficult to weed through this mess.

I have spoken to someone who was actually in the room when it happened, saw the incident occur, and according to them the media makes it seem much worse than it actually was. There definitely was no peeing on anyone or anything like that.

Lexington High School locker room while no adults were present, officials said adults are not required to supervise school locker rooms.

“There is no board policy that dictates it,” said Mary Beth Hill, spokeswoman for Lexington 1. “We just consider it ‘best practice.’”

(So she is saying if your daughters is raped or your child is molested the Lexington School District One locker room they are not responsible. They do not have to report anything to the police as well.)

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article71850542.html#storylink=cpy

(So if incidents are reported to them they will not notify the police or parents. Also the incident this was not reported by the victim it was reported by another student! )

This is a nationwide issues that's why it does not matter if it's Lexington Wrestling or Dorman Band or Summerville Tennis your children are not protected in the locker room. This is the point of the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the article below. This is why things at Penn State spiraled out of control and believe it or not this could happen where your child goes to school.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20100122/ARTICLES/100129906

A witness said team members always play around, but lately “the guys are taking it too far,” according to the report.

(So when he says lately it means more than once and seems to contradict what you heard about no big deal. See the other police reports. Please read the report but I guess the detectives lied. So at least two students separate from the victim felt what was happening in the locker room went to far. The reason the police were involved is because a third party called the police not the victim. The school did nothing and will do nothing in the future as stated by Mary Beth Hill.)

(I'm sure the people you talked too would hold their hand up and say yes I was involved--- I'm being sarcastic. Honestly I would say nothing and tell my son to say nothing as well until I had a lawyer because you could be involved in a civil case)

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article71850542.html#storylink=cpy

A coach at WK was fired for the same thing a few years ago..... No one was naked... He did make a horrible call in the moment and put an after pic on his PRIVATE Twitter with a hash tag of "#GotEm". Coach admitted it was beyond poor judgement and apologized.

Principal tried to push for assault charges, kid's parents and kid, said Coach did nothing wrong at all and they had no issue with it...

No investigation....those who wanted to defend the coach were ignored....some parents were even thought to be parents of other kids as opposed to their own kids.... If there was a reply it was "personnel matter, can't talk about it, keep supporting WK athletics"

Said coach also had an incident where a kid was injured/knocked out while being shown how to do a front headlock and he sent him with a student trainer to the training room to be evaluated by the Training Staff, they returned 15 or so minutes later and said he was cleared by the training staff....

Coach called his mother and explained what happened after practice, which was about 15 minutes later and mother laughed on the phone and said to not worry about it. No big deal. Both sons had told her about it and there was no issue.

Coach didn't tell AD or Principal bc, well, who was most important??? Mother or admin....

When the younger brother assaulted, on camera no less, a middle school wrestler a little over a month later, same mother had issue and wanted to know why Coach wasn't punished as well. Said it was the same thing, kid learned it in practice as coach did same thing to older brother... Front headlock finish vs. Rear Naked Choke.... BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Coach asked AD what to do bc he had no experience with something like this and followed the ADs suggestion of sitting both kids until the truth could come to the forefront...

Principal and AD said the Coach by saying he was going to do what the AD said to the mother, was throwing the AD and school Admin under the Bus.... Principal also said, "this is a direct reflection of your leadership" to the coach....

Coach was honest about it, told the truth and was crucified by the admin and district and punished further for trying to standup for himself....

Seems fair that horseplay for one place, but termination for the other....

You can use as many different font sizes and colors as you want, but that doesn't make your comparison of this situation to Jerry Sandusky's actions any less ridiculous.

You can use as many different font sizes and colors as you want, but that doesn't make your comparison of this situation to Jerry Sandusky's actions any less ridiculous.

Thank you for your input and I apologies with the color and font sizes and refrain from further use. I agree I may have made my points difficult to understand. The main point in comparison to Penn State is how it went from locker room issues to a national issue. Now I’m not saying it will be a national issue but it has gone from locker room issue, athletic program issue, high school issues and now read page two the State newspaper it has gone to a Lexington District One issue.

Mary Beth Hill for Lexington School district 1 states “No Locker room supervision required”

The cover up is always worse than the crime.

I ask with an open mind tell me how the progression of the Penn State scandal is different than the Lexington scandal. Obviously there is a huge difference in platform and scale so let’s put that aside.

I await your very detailed analysis of the situation how the Penn State issue did not start out as a locker room issue, athletic issue, University issue and so on.

Jerry Sandusky convinced me that I don't want direct supervision of the locker room - that is just creepy.
These young adults cannot be supervised every minute of every day, they have to be responsible for themselves and should be as it is part of growing up.
It seems that the coaches and administration took the appropriate action after they found out.
Maybe the "victims" parents pushed for the criminal charges.
Seems to me that your anger should be directed at the parents of the two older boys as they obviously failed in teaching their children appropriate locker room behavior and not directed at the coaches or school.

You need talk to the 2 detectives who investigated the cases being multiple --- read their reports and why they decided the charges would be assault. A person just can't say I'm going to charge you with assault and your charged. The police decide on the statue violated and seriousness of the crime then the person is charged. They are being charged criminally not civilly maybe that's whats confusing you. There was a criminal investigation the TV news and papers print what they think sell. It's hard for media do stories between two minosr because everything is redacted because the ages of the victims. We have Ex Lex people at River Bluff and heard the stories long before this. The reason for news on this one case is because they can be charged as adults and their pictures sell more papers can't do that with minors.

I don't blame you for not knowing it is really difficult to weed through this mess.

Huh?

Jerry Sandusky convinced me that I don't want direct supervision of the locker room - that is just creepy.
These young adults cannot be supervised every minute of every day, they have to be responsible for themselves and should be as it is part of growing up.
It seems that the coaches and administration took the appropriate action after they found out.
Maybe the "victims" parents pushed for the criminal charges.
Seems to me that your anger should be directed at the parents of the two older boys as they obviously failed in teaching their children appropriate locker room behavior and not directed at the coaches or school.
I respectively disagree I think the kids should not have been charged and the adults should have been held accountable. I totally understand my opinion could be incorrect. I will comment no more so I do not offend you as you believe I'm a key board warrior and I'm weak.

Did I miss something. Did BDK get Sanduskied and R. Kellied or something. What is he talking about with all peeing going on and stuff. Thats gross. We all need Jesus.

Reactions: SunTzu189
It is physically impossible to watch all the kids all the time. Let's pretend this didn't happen during showering after a practice. What if it was a regular bathroom break during practice. Would the coach still be responsible as you say? Do coaches need to walk teenagers to the bathroom?

Let's look at a school issue and not a team. Teachers don't man restrooms during school. Should a coach have to do it for their team??

I remember I had an AD two AD's ago who told the coaches they were responsible for every athlete the second they were out of school until the second they were picked up. So I was supposed to be at the wrestling room supervising, in the locker room supervising, in the parking lot supervising, and in the hallway supervising. That is how ridiculous it has gotten. No accountability at all for the kids. Have to blame the coach.

How is the Lexington school district doing anything wrong? They made the comment that there is no procedure for watching the shower room. That isn't hiding anything or covering up anything. That is the school rule. What would we do for boys tennis that is coached by a female? Should she be in the locker room as well. I'm totally sick of coaches getting blamed. 30 years from now you won't have any coaches because they will all he getting sued every other day. It is our society we live in. Let's place blame on someone and get them in trouble and try to make money off of it.

Reactions: GrnWave03
This has to be the most craziest post I read in a long time.

First off -Penn State in no way can be put in comparison. That was an adult assistant coach (kind of like the coach you say you want to be supervising the showers/locker room). I am not sure how on Earth you can reach that level of comparison. It is just plain crazy and something is seriously wrong with how far you are reaching with that argument. (reminds me of some one who once told me that because my father spanked my butt as a kid - I was abused, and when I told them I deserved it - they told me how sad that thinking was)...

Secondly, I disagree with the "hazing" comments. Solely my opinion.

If you think this doesn't go on in River Bluff wrestling room, you are beyond delusional. This was probably a kid venting to his parents because he didn't want to make a scene and call attention to himself at school. Bravo. Just like you go home to your wife and vent about your boss - but not at work.

This is a somewhat unique sport because it's individual/team. As a team, you support each other. In practice it's all out, because for 6 minutes you are out there alone and it's all you and how you can handle pressure, pain, etc. I read a comment Sara McMann made once when a wrestler was calling out a former teammate about his practice skills, etc. And she said (paraphrasing) you don't talk about practices or coaching. A coaches job (and sometimes teammates, team captains) are to break you down .. and then later hold you up. So that when you are out there on that mat alone- your opponent can't break you. There's a reason it's called the toughest sport.
I will bet you - those two accused wouldn't let another team touch that kid.

This type of thinking scares me. It brings to mind those that would get rid of wrestling in schools. Like wildfire this can spread and those administrators who are afraid of parents will overreact.

Can we just leave tennis alone? Some tennis players are also fairly tough wrestlers, and don't appreciate being the go-to pansy sport reference. We could use ping-pong (excuse me, table tennis), dance team, or even academic bowl.

I used tennis as an example because that is the scenario at our school. Our boys tennis team is coached by a female.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT