ADVERTISEMENT

Lowcountry Competition

grenwavedoc

Five Star Prospect
Aug 17, 2001
Summerville, SC
Congratulations to the Greenwave softball team. They definitely had a great season. Unfortuate they lost in the big game. The one constant that I notice about Summerville athletics that has persisted for a number of years is they constantly have great regular seasons, yet lose to upstate teams. Is this due to not experiencing the same tough competition as upstate teams? This has been prevalent in all sports, not just softball. No negativity, just curious if anyone else has an answer. Congrtulations to Clover with their win.

I can only speak for Clover softball on this one, but every year their non-region schedule is brutal. They played Boiling Springs to start the season and Union County twice, as well as two big tournaments during that span (Byrnes Invitational and Azalea in Summerville). They lost 11 games in 2015 but it paid off in the end.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations to the Greenwave softball team. They definitely had a great season. Unfortuate they lost in the big game. The one constant that I notice about Summerville athletics that has persisted for a number of years is they constantly have great regular seasons, yet lose to upstate teams. Is this due to not experiencing the same tough competition as upstate teams? This has been prevalent in all sports, not just softball. No negativity, just curious if anyone else has an answer. Congrtulations to Clover with their win.
Playing stronger teams will make you better for the playoffs. Some coaches wont take a chance at killing their wins and loses record to do it however. Summerville has as much talent as anyone and its been that way for 8 years or more. You have to ask yourself what do you need to have to get a better result. Maybe a tougher non region schedule is the ticket. Something else needs to be done to get over the hump. Some of the problem is pitching related for the lower state. Summer Jenkins (Summerville) a CofC commit and Sydney Seigler (North Augusta) with PC are the only two going back to 2001. In the same time span for the upper state every championship team had at least 1 and some of the teams had multiple D1 pitchers on their roster. If someone has memory before 2001 it maybe more lopsided that I am saying.

If I were Summerville or any Lower State 4A coach I would be seeking out any team with top shelf pitching to face in the non region schedule. If that means Saturday games on their home field so be it. Double headers even better! Lower state pitching parents need to ask themselves if their pitching coach is preparing many kids for the next level or not. If they aren't not only will college dreams be hard to get to so will State Championships.

To add to above you have to have other players other than a pitcher to win even if you have that pitcher. If you don't have a pitcher you don't have much of a shot. Also coaching almost as important come playoff time.

The UpState SC brings great competition day in and day out.

Congratulations to the Clover Lady Eagles for pushing through. Northwestern, Boiling Springs, Fort Mill, Byrnes, Laurens, Blythewood, Dorman,and Gaffney were all there competing every day so to not give any a break.

We knew what Clover had. Scared the crap out of us, and proved true in the end. Clover struggled early as they could not find a way to win the close games. Obviously they figured it out and won all the close games in the end.

The UpState softball is a firing line. Clover dodged the bullets, and the shots fired were on the mark.

Clover Lady Eagles.

One must agree that playing outside your respective areas and classes aids in making a team better. Union County (3A) played Clover (4A) twice during 2015. Union took at least one win not sure of the other. The experience made Union County tougher.

Jacket you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, the lower state doesn't have those top quality teams. Summerville usually steam rolls thru the regular season. I wish they would play some of the top tournaments hosted in the upstate and start setting up home and homes with other powers from regions 3 & 4.

Reactions: grenwavedoc
ADVERTISEMENT