ADVERTISEMENT

LSU pitching abuse??

Jhawk4

Varsity All American
Oct 7, 2001
Ok I know we had another thread about this. Just wondered what everyone's opinion is on this one.

Did anyone follow the LSU- Stony Brook series today? Big hoopla because LSU righthander Kevin Gausman, threw the 12th inning of supended game one and then threw game 2. He got a win and loss on the same day! The hoopla wasnt over the amount of pitches (only about a 100 total)he threw but the fact he warmed up threw 12 pitches to end the game then sat and cooled for 45 minutes before warming up again and going 7 innings in the second game. It seemed to me like the ESPN reporters were ticked because "this isnt just about LSU its about the Orioles and the fact they drafted this kid 4th and if he gets hurt they cant go back and draft someone else!"

I have seen high school coaches in district and upper/lower state championships do this a few times where a kid closes one game and starts another but normally not as much time passes between the games and the kid really doesnt cool off that much.

Of course the reporters kept bringing up the kid from TCU Kyle Winkler. He was expected to go in the top rounds most likely a supplemental pick after the first round. The day before the draft he was pitching in a regional final elimination game when he only lasted 16 pitches. coach and trainer checked him on him at 14 pitches because his mechanics and body language looked off. He said he was fine and they left him in. Two pitches later he heard the pop and was done. His draft status dropped from top 2 to a 10th round choice. It was tommy john but it was a stress fracture that required surgery and two screws. With that said he was having problems even before the regional but yet the coaches still let him pitch because they needed him.

The one I've been trying to understand is Arizona's Heyer's performance vs. St. John's:

130 pitches, 9.1 innings, 17 hits, 6 runs

all in 100-degree weather in the middle of the day in Arizona.

Heyer was a 6th round pick.

technically it was 129 with 85 strikes but still. What amazed me is he didnt walk anyone with all those pitches.

Point #1: What amazes me is that here we have a guy (Keith Law, ESPN) that has never thrown a pitch in his life thinking that he is the end all expert on how the guy's arm feels and should be treated. Yes, Mr. Law did spend 3 years as a "special assistant" to the Blue Jays owner. He does know the game. But his background is sociology and economics, not athletics, medicine or even physical therapy.

Point #2: If anyone thinks that the Orioles don't have the phone number for 1.) Coach Mainieri at LSU, 2.) Kevin Glausman OR 3.) Mr. and Mrs. Glausman, then there might be additional thought needed. If the pitching coach, head coach or trainers for the Orioles had a problem with Glausman pitching the way he did, then I would think a call would have been made, especially considering Coach Mainieri announced it on live TV a hour prior to the first pitch of the second game.

Was glad to see NC State didnt try to push Rodan back out after the 2 hour rain delay!

Did anybody catch the comment in the SB-LSU game where the commentator said SB's ace won the regional title game vs. UCF throwing 119 pitches on 2 days rest? He threw 110 in the first game.

There are not many college coaches these days that act like they are interested in saving arms. Especially if the kid is on the verge of graduation. I try to sympathize with their situation in that their livelyhood depends on wins and losses, but sometimes these guys just make you wonder where their prorities are.

Have only eve seen this done once in high school. Kid completely shut down a team in the playoffs (double header) winning the first game in five innings, so he started the second and threw two more. Pitch count that day was negligible, maybe 70 or so.

NCSU shut their guy down mainly because he was a Fresh. and returning for two more years with them.

I don't think these coaches need to be concerned with the feelings of professional teams. These same pro teams don't feel bad for the college guys when they sign a Jr. or high school guy off their rosters for less than slot value or when everyone knows that the kids best option is school. These same pro teams don't care about the colleges or their success. Just like the college guys don't care about the high schools or their success.

In that same TCU conversation the Kyle Peterson made the point that college coaches are paid and retained based on wins and losses. Some are judgeed on how far their teams consistently go or don't go. You will never see a college coach at a big time program retained because he graduated kids, got kids drafted high, got kids ready for pro ball, etc. They are paid, and many paid well, to fill seats and win.

And I completely agree with the College Coaches in most regards. They aren't getting a thing from a kid going pro and are investing quite a bit in that same kid before he leaves. They are completely within their rights to get the most out of ANY player while they have him. My only point in questioning priorities is the kid's health and well being, not in saving him for pro ball. Most won't make it past single a anyway.

"Fewer than 1% of all of the kids who have played for me, ever played pro ball to the extent that they didn't require another source of income." Augie Garrido

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT