ADVERTISEMENT

n/m

Re: Gamecock Dual - horrible tournament

Not that it's my job to defend, nor am I saying that I'm completely on the side of the defense, but ...

1st - The home cooking tasted great, and while I'm a skinny guy, that's not for a lack of trying on my part.

2nd - Coach Slaughter had a great plan for the tournament in place, but when he had a team back out at the last minute, and trust me, I've run, or helped run well over 50 tournaments in my days (I didn't sit here and count, just did some quick guess-timation while erring on the small side), when that happens, A - there's nothing you can do about, and B- whatever solution you create has to be created quickly, and isn't going to be ideal, no matter how brilliantly creative you are.

3rd - Coach Slaughter did a very good job of communicating with the coaches as changes were made, and was/is always open to suggestions from the coaches involved in the tournament. However, being open to suggestions doesn't mean that everyone is going to be made happy, it means that he's going to listen to concerns, and decide what he thinks is best for everyone.

4th - If no one beats Sumter at the end of the day, then apparently they did deserve the bye. If they get a walk to the finals match, and then get shut-out, then that's poor home cooking (they still serve outstanding food, so it would be more appropriate to grab a different analogy, maybe just pull-out some SAT words, and call it cronyism or something, that always impresses people).

I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way, I'm just a smart-____ that's had a long day without hardly any sleep, and as someone that's run wonderful tournaments where everything seems to go right, and someone that's run "horrible" tournaments where every time you turn around something else seems to be going wrong, I tend to be forgiving of someone that is willing to host a very competitive tournament, and I know is working his butt off for the betterment of the wrestlers on every team, while also trying to not neglect his own.

Very well said PITA...dealing with a last minute drop when you already have your tournament mapped out SUCKS!!! Been there way too many times myself.

And knowing Cody as well as I do...he did what he thought was best for all teams involved and for the kids of all teams involved at the tourney. Harsh remarks for a guy that is doing all he can to ensure good, quality competition for all teams and wrestlers involved.

I know I just went through the same thing with our US Military Duals...had a team drop out 4 weeks before the tourney, started redeveloping the game plan for 15 teams...had 3 more teams drop 2 weeks before the tourney...started redeveloping again...had 1 of those 3 step back in a week before the tourney...started redeveloping again...picked up 1 more team 3 days before the tournament...redeveloped again and prayed all 14 teams showed up so it did not screw up my mastermind plan for all teams involved.

So in a matter of 28 days, we went from 16 to 15 to 12 to 13 to 14 teams...not a joyous time in my life trying to ensure the most I could for the teams that were committed to our tourney. It all worked out in the end with all teams getting 7 quality matches and giving our fans a great tournament!!!

scpackfan

Thank you for voicing your concerns. But I'm not really sure what your complaint is. Are you upset your team lost? Are you grumpy because you're tired? Did you get a bad hot dog? Also, I'm not sure where you are getting your information. To say that we changed the format mid-tournament is ridiculous and, in my opinion, a bit ignorant. I'm pretty approachable for the most part, so if you had a complaint you could have asked in person rather than roasting us and our tournament on a public forum, but to each their own.

I do apologize for the late wrestling on Friday, but, As Pita pointed out, there really wasn't much I could do when a team backed out on us Thursday morning. The seeding for Saturday was explained via email and in the coaches meeting prior to the start of the tournament, you clearly were not present for this. I'm sure no one would object to your attendance next time.

I'm not sure which team you represent, or who you are (nor do I really care), but I hope that you will take comfort in knowing that your complaints/criticism have been heard. Good Luck to your team this season and thanks for your $12. If you wish to discuss this further, I would be happy to answer any questions you have over the phone, via e-mail, or in person.

Go Gamecocks

Cody Slaughter
Sumter High School
Cody.slaughter@sumterschools.net
803-968-3250

You think Sumter did themselves a favor by receiving a bye???? That hurts them. Coaches attend these dual tournaments to get in matches. They want mat time. I bet if you polled every coach in the state almost all would say they would rather wrestle than receive a bye. If it is the playoffs than maybe they would like a bye. A regular season tournament you want to wrestle.

Pretty sad on your part to come on here to bash a school for hosting a tournament. They aren't easy to do.

ADVERTISEMENT