ADVERTISEMENT

P4P individual rankings

Dec 17, 2012
Lets make a top 10 P4P ranking list. Especially after State Tournament you should have seen/heard who was a hammer, who fell off a little bit, and who rose up here's mine
1 Talon Seitz... he should be D1, majored in finals against a tough Newton, pin leader and beat Alford earlier this year
2. AJ Leitten.... also majored in finals, I think if he and Talon were same weight that would be a barn burner
3. Zach Clary... 3 titles, 2 losses.... in 4 years of varsity competition.... speaks for itself
4. Evan Carrigan... Won what I thought was possibly the best match of the 4a finals, and not just won... dominated every aspect
5. Seth Ham... again he should be D1 based on size alone. Had a rough semi's match but got it done quickly in finals
6. Martin Duane... Massive 182, pinned in 24 seconds in finals. I believe he could have won 4a if he wanted
7.AJ Alford... Best 1x state champion I believe ever in SC
8. Zane Mitchell.... was there any doubt he was going to take it
9. Ernest Grigorchuck... first state champ in Boiling Springs history, never trailed in the tournament, also has beaten Aquino from Dorman at 120 in state dual playoffs
10. Jordan White... will be Eastside's next 4x

Lets make a top 10 P4P ranking list. Especially after State Tournament you should have seen/heard who was a hammer, who fell off a little bit, and who rose up here's mine
1 Talon Seitz... he should be D1, majored in finals against a tough Newton, pin leader and beat Alford earlier this year
2. AJ Leitten.... also majored in finals, I think if he and Talon were same weight that would be a barn burner
3. Zach Clary... 3 titles, 2 losses.... in 4 years of varsity competition.... speaks for itself
4. Evan Carrigan... Won what I thought was possibly the best match of the 4a finals, and not just won... dominated every aspect
5. Seth Ham... again he should be D1 based on size alone. Had a rough semi's match but got it done quickly in finals
6. Martin Duane... Massive 182, pinned in 24 seconds in finals. I believe he could have won 4a if he wanted
9. Ernest Grigorchuck... first state champ in Boiling Springs history, never trailed in the tournament, also has beaten Aquino from Dorman at 120 in state dual playoffs
I know so very little about wrestling, or wrestlers on teams other than ours, therefore I would not dare to comment on p4p. I am super partial to Jordie White though and its nice to see him excel at his sport. His mother and I also appreciate the kind words and interesting descriptors from you all like nasty, killer, beast, animal, iceman, and my favorite "the blind assassin." -Scott White

Watching the 2A finals at 170, the Bamberg freshman was stout even though he lost. He looks like a college freshman. He is one wrestler that I will be watching for next year to take whatever weight class he is in.

You also got the Bamberg Sophomore who dominated at 82 and placed 3rd last year. And the Freshman has a twin brother in the 8th grade.

I figured Gagum had it in the bag. I haven't seen the 170 wrestle. I couldn't make it to state this time but by the results he seems destined for a championship somewhere down the road. Taylor still has another year so it may be them two again next time.

I know so very little about wrestling, or wrestlers on teams other than ours, therefore I would not dare to comment on p4p. I am super partial to Jordie White though and its nice to see him excel at his sport. His mother and I also appreciate the kind words and interesting descriptors from you all like nasty, killer, beast, animal, iceman, and my favorite "the blind assassin." -Scott White

The blind assassin...this is friggin great!!

Credit for "The Blind Assassin" goes to the Hillcrest wrestlers. Not sure which one in particular but kudos to that kid!!!

Reactions: countykid
You need to move Jordan up to 9 and find another 10. Where is the Rock Hill HWT on this list? Did he not go undefeated this year?

Yeah he did, but you have to look at the body of work. Is Jordan deserving of number 9... possibly, but hes only a freshman and clary would have been possibly a 10 his freshman year and he also went undefeated. Also Salgado from RH had a very good season and did go undefeated... however in the finals he beat a returning SC who had probably practiced for 3 weeks... but im not dissing what he did at all, hes a SC and he deserves it and also tied Walker's 72 win record... as a Heavyweight... which for some reason no one has seemed to comment on. However based on the results I see he did not beat any current/former SC this season other than Simpson in the finals. Should he be ranked, yes... but is there a spot for him in top 10, not really. Again though P4P are all subjective (with the exception of Talon and Alford)

You say he is only a freshman like it is a bad thing. That should make what he is doing an even better accomplishment.

Although Ernest was a state champion, who did he beat to get there?

Yeah he did, but you have to look at the body of work. Is Jordan deserving of number 9... possibly, but hes only a freshman and clary would have been possibly a 10 his freshman year and he also went undefeated. Also Salgado from RH had a very good season and did go undefeated... however in the finals he beat a returning SC who had probably practiced for 3 weeks... but im not dissing what he did at all, hes a SC and he deserves it and also tied Walker's 72 win record... as a Heavyweight... which for some reason no one has seemed to comment on. However based on the results I see he did not beat any current/former SC this season other than Simpson in the finals. Should he be ranked, yes... but is there a spot for him in top 10, not really. Again though P4P are all subjective (with the exception of Talon and Alford)

While I will agree that P4P is all subjective...saying that Talon and Alford are the only exceptions, I find odd.

Leitten definitely deserves to be on this list, as does Clary and Carrigan just as much as Alford if not more.

No offense to Alford....enjoy watching and I know that he is truly gifted, but....stats do not lie...Leitten and Carrigan will face anyone anywhere and have....in state and out of state. They both have doen very well for themselves against any one, from any state.

Clary...3x ..2 losses...definitely deserves it as well.

Do not get me wrong, there are many who deserve to be mentioned and the battle can go on and on....1-5 is pretty solid....after that, people will have legitimate arguments to who should and should not be in the 6-10 slots

As far as I am concerned...

Seitz
Leitten
Clary
Carrigan

the last 2 may meet at All star...will it really decide? who know's....but carrigan already beat one P4P in Byerly (previous list) and is 1 and 2 against the # 2 P4P

5 can go to either Ham or Duane

Just my pennies worth...

P4P

I believe in the year grigorchuck beat pirkle, aquino, frey.... One 2016 champ, one 2015 champ 2016 2nd placer, and the 113 number 1 until "mistakes" happened

No offense to Alford....enjoy watching and I know that he is truly gifted, but....stats do not lie...Leitten and Carrigan will face anyone anywhere and have....in state and out of state. They both have doen very well for themselves against any one, from any state.
I would argue AJ Alford is one of the Top 10 P4P wrestlers in the History of South Carolina.

National Accolades
Flowrestling Nationally ranked16th at 170 lbs., Fargo Greco All-American, Two Time NHSCA All-American, NHSCA Finalist, Super 32 placer winner, signed US Naval Academy

Regional Accolades ( Just this summer - that I know of)
USA Wrestling SE Regionals, Atlanta GA, 1st place by TF
Super 32 Qualifier Atlanta GA 1st Place

Those are just off the top of my head. And do not reach into middle school or youth wrestling. Those are Stats that do not lie. And a true example of in and out of state competition.

I would argue AJ Alford is one of the Top 10 P4P wrestlers in the History of South Carolina.

National Accolades
Flowrestling Nationally ranked16th at 170 lbs., Fargo Greco All-American, Two Time NHSCA All-American, NHSCA Finalist, Super 32 placer winner, signed US Naval Academy

Those are just off the top of my head. And do not reach into middle school or youth wrestling. Those are Stats that do not lie. And a true example of in and out of state competition.

Absolutely.,...I agree. I stand corrected. AJ Alford is truly deserving of being high on the list.

Reactions: K.Simpson
Absolutely he deserves to be high on the list. However because he lost to Seitz in a match he has to fall below the ones who did not lose to instate competition. Talon, Leitten, Carrigan, Clary, and Duane each stand unhurt from in-state competition so they should be higher. Ham is higher based on ceiling, he could potentially be a monster 197, or a very athletic HW in college. Where as Alford needs to cut weight to get to possibly 165 or maybe even 157. Alfords Finals match was much closer than the score showed too. Had Simpson not taken a "hail mary" shot the score would have ended 3-2. However Simpson went for a double and got caught, credit him for trying. Again though... Alford is possibly the best 1x SC this state has ever had.

National Accolades

K.Simpson....Alford is tough as nails....but far from the elite in our state's history. Granted, he has accomplished a lot, but in terms of where he falls among some of the greats, I don't think it's close. Perhaps top 25. Others may not have achieved those statistical levels, but that is primarily because they did not run that national level circuit as much. But where raw talent and skill are concerned......there are many others who would trump him and several on the list.
I'm sure this will spark some discussion.

Absolutely he deserves to be high on the list. However because he lost to Seitz in a match he has to fall below the ones who did not lose to instate competition. Talon, Leitten, Carrigan, Clary, and Duane each stand unhurt from in-state competition so they should be higher. Ham is higher based on ceiling, he could potentially be a monster 197, or a very athletic HW in college. Where as Alford needs to cut weight to get to possibly 165 or maybe even 157. Alfords Finals match was much closer than the score showed too. Had Simpson not taken a "hail mary" shot the score would have ended 3-2. However Simpson went for a double and got caught, credit him for trying. Again though... Alford is possibly the best 1x SC this state has ever had.
wrong

Best one timer ever. I can see your point, and agree that he would have to be considered. However I think there have been others who were better, although they did not compete as much on the national scene.

Reactions: countykid
Best one timer ever. I can see your point, and agree that he would have to be considered. However I think there have been others who were better, although they did not compete as much on the national scene.

I agree with you here 100%

Jymf I see your point... couple I can think of... Nick Leitten was a 1x but his losses were I believe to Slooten and to Walker, which is highly acceptable. Morales from LEX was a 1x because he got destroyed by Connell in the finals as a senior. There are some very, very good wrestlers who only won one time. But based off of how much stuff he does in the offseason is why many think he is best in the states history. Is he anywhere near Walker, Dudley, JJ Davis, Oddo, Leach, Connell, Thelke.... no hes not. But his offseason stuff is what offsets his 1x SC on his resume

Jymf I see your point... couple I can think of... Nick Leitten was a 1x but his losses were I believe to Slooten and to Walker, which is highly acceptable. Morales from LEX was a 1x because he got destroyed by Connell in the finals as a senior. There are some very, very good wrestlers who only won one time. But based off of how much stuff he does in the offseason is why many think he is best in the states history. Is he anywhere near Walker, Dudley, JJ Davis, Oddo, Leach, Connell, Thelke.... no hes not. But his offseason stuff is what offsets his 1x SC on his resume
Agree...No doubt he's tough, and seems to be a better international style competitor than collegiate. I am partial to FS and GR simply because of the full throttle possibilities that those style offer, especially FS. I'm sure AJ will have great success on all levels.

Alex Piper 1x Champion, undefeated senior year. always did well at Fargo, losing three consecutive years in the blood round. Was a cadet fila All American.

Got to look at Who was in his weight class... I highly highly doubt he would keep aj at anything less than a major... And I don't think he beats Caspio who aj majored... Good kid, glad he got a ring, but not p4p

I think Eddie Smith of BHP is top 10. Defeated state champ Braxton Robertson of Berea in finals (pretty much dominated match, 8-1, avenging upper state loss). Braxton beat Ham and 220 state champ from Swansea at North / South. Smith has tremendous upside, will be huge 197 in college in 2 years. Was a light 195 this year as a junior

Reactions: dominusflevit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT