ADVERTISEMENT

Pitcher Throws 169 Pitches in Legion Game

COHAZE

Five Star Prospect
Nov 12, 2004
I watched a pitcher throw 169 pitches in a Legion game last night. (Another person keeping count had him at 167.) This is the same kid who was allowed to throw 151 pitches in a game a few weeks ago.

The kid plays for Spartanburg. His head coach is Micah Stancil.

This is a kid who will be a senior this coming HS season, so it's not like his HS career is behind him. Barring a big jump in velocity, he will not play D1 ball. But, he has a shot at playing a little small college ball, if his arm holds out.

According to Dr. James Andrews, pitchers who pitch while fatigued are 3600% more likely to suffer injury. Expressed another way, such pitchers are 36 TIMES more likely to experience injury than a kid who does not pitch while fatigued. Just because he did not walk off the field holding his arm last night does NOT mean there was no harm done. According to Dr. Andrews, the damage sustained is cumulative. It builds and builds until something finally gives.

I don't know what else to say. This is so ridiculous it's almost laughable. I have no doubt that the kid said he was fine and wanted to continue. But, in every player-coach relationship you need at least one adult who will do the right thing. That was clearly not the case here. I feel sorry for the kid.

Cohaze, that is more than borderline criminal. Not only should the coach face suspension / removal, the Legion group that sanctions the team should face penalty as well. That is crazy for any kid to throw that much in a week, let alone in one game.

ADVERTISEMENT