ADVERTISEMENT

Politics Abound In Shrine Bowl

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
The release of the 78th Annual Shrine roster this week created quite a buzz on the message boards and while it is always exciting to see the list of players for this once prestigious all-star team, it also raises questions about the selection process, where "politics" obviously abound.

Every year, there are notable omissions from this team. That is always going to be the case whenever you are trying to chisel down to a 44 man roster. The talent level in South Carolina is very high and coaches simply cannot take everyone. But this particular year there are some serious questions about omissions at certain positions versus players who were selected in those spots. While I would never call out a particular player by name, the fact is that there are players on this roster who are NOT one of the best 44 Players in the state, nor are they one of the Top Four at their particular position.

This is a very difficult team to select; these coaches on this staff put a lot of hours in watching film and meeting to discuss players outside of their already busy football season schedule. That said, if you think that there is not "snubbing" going on behind those closed door meetings you are being naïve. There are players every year who are overlooked because staff members on that particular year don't like that said player's coach; I have been told on numerous occasions by all-star staff coaches that there is a school in the Midlands that rarely has players make the all-star teams and the reason is the coach is not well-liked among his peers. Is that right? No. But it happens anyway. There are players that make it because they have a coach on staff who gets in and lobbies for them in the meetings. And there are some players who don't make it because of discipline questions, or maybe they just haven't played up to par during their senior campaign.

Most Notable Omissions - these are players who should have easily been one of top two or three choice at their positions.

Gage Cervenka, DL, Emerald HS - One of more dominating players in state at his position. Committed to Clemson

Denzell Johnson, S, A.C. Flora HS - One of state's top athletes on both sides of the football. Multiple Div I offers.

Tabari Hines, WR, Marlboro County - One of top WRs in state, as well as one of top return men in state. Committed to Wake Forest.

Again, selecting this team is not an easy task and the time and effort that goes into it by these coaches needs to be commended. But there are way too many opportunities for different types of politics to reign in the selection process and it may be time to think about possible changes to the way it is currently being done.

I will tell you that I went back and watched film from THIS year and can say that in several cases where there were omissions, I’d have to agree with the selections (or omissions) based on what’s showing up on film.
This post was edited on 10/8 10:54 AM by JB@Rivals

Look at the 3 names left off the roster...only one of those is a midlands player! I believe you have the answer right there.

As far as I know, Reggie Shaw is well-respected. But, I honestly thought that same thing when I read the article.

It's very difficult to criticize the individual team without at least IMPLYING who you are talking about when you start referencing the whole "Coaches bring a player" situation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is being called out. That's not a good feeling, or a good place to go with this in my humble opinion.

Simply stating that there were kids left off the team that may have deserved the honor would probably have been enough. But, then again, it wouldn't be news worthy if someone didn't cause a scene now, would it?

laugh.r191677.gif

Dacoach, in most years, it would be enough to simply state there were deserving players left off.

But THIS year, there are players on the roster that are NOT Shrine Bowl caliber players. Period. That is the shame in the omissions. Most years, you can see where the kid that did make it was just as deserving; but there are a couple this season who are not.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

JB... you are not alone in your opinion.

I - for one - think it's still an incredibly awesome team, and I will be there cheering the boys on.

party0001.r191677.gif

I was surprised to see Cervanka didn't make it. The kid has been a monster since i seen him in the 9th grade. Could have been a great wrestler but i don't blame him for chasing the money in football. He was already a 3x state champion and i think 2x national champion. Was Haney from Gaffney not one to look for in the shrine bowl also?

I think I have said this before, but it is worth reiterating. All coaches should have an input in this selection process and not just lobbying for their own player. They should vote, by position, for the most dominant opposing player they have faced. Now this should not be the deciding factor, but it will give the Shrine Bowl/ North/South coaches a legitimate bit of information concerning most players in SC. To me, it speaks more highly when an opposing coach says, "We game plan around this guy," or "That number (whatever) is completely unstoppable." A coach gets 6 or 8 of those comments, he would be foolish not to seriously look at said player.

After thinking about it.......Josh Stepp, Lexington High School, formerly of Dreher High School.

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:
After thinking about it.......Josh Stepp, Lexington High School, formerly of Dreher High School.
Nah; not Josh; he hasn't been coaching long enough to generate that kind of fan club.

Originally posted by 3-3 Stack:

Burnett from Airport? My first guess was Earley, but he left the midlands early.
You guys are relentless to find this out! lol I will not comment further because you'd eventually get it on process of elimination.

Hope its not Coach Burnette. My son plays for Airport and hoping to make play in The Shrine Bowl next year.

The way the team is selected now is the best way even though no way is perfect. Coaches have input. The coaches association decided the process. What other way is there? To let the fans decide? Or even worse the media? What a joke it would then be.

I would change the tradition of all the coaches being able to bring one of their players. Sometimes it works out with a deserving player, but many times a coach brings a player that is a good player, but has no business taking a Shrine Bowl spot.

If they take a player that is not Shrine Bowl quality, they catch a lot of heat from their colleagues.

I want to think there is only one coach (maybe Sutherland from Pendleton? I could be wrong) that is not taking a player. Some are deserving. I could easily name one, but there is no reason to trash a kid who just caught a lucky break. But we have all seen it in the past. And it won't end the complaining, but it would increase the odds that some that seem to be an obvious pick wouldn't be replaced by a lesser player.

Originally posted by Mox94:
I would change the tradition of all the coaches being able to bring one of their players. Sometimes it works out with a deserving player, but many times a coach brings a player that is a good player, but has no business taking a Shrine Bowl spot.
That would be totally unfair to a player that is Shrine Bowl worthy but cannot be selected due to his coach is on the staff.

If a coach brings a player that may not be quite up to SB par but is a player that can play a lot of positions and is very in tune with the coaches system he may be more of a help than just for his playing ability.

I have seen some very questionable selections over the years but I do think with the attention it brings that has dropped off.

Not saying that a coach on the team couldn't have one, or two, of his players on the team. Just saying that over the years the tradiational practice of most every coach serving has had the bonus of bringing one of their players with them. Deserving, or not. Like I said earlier, I know there is one kid going this year because of that type of connection that has no business being in the Shrine Bowl. Seen that scenario play out many times over the years. Have no problem with a guy coaching in the Shrine Bowl have one, or two, of his players go if they are deserving. But if they are not, they shouldn't take up a roster spot from someone who is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT