ADVERTISEMENT

Proposal is Out

I LOVE THEY ARE PUTTING THE WAVE,FORT, NITES, WANDOE, JIM IS, WEST ASHLEY, ASHLEY RIDGE AND GOOSES CREEK IN SAME CONFERENCE, GOOD WORK:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

1A (41 schools)

Region 1: Calhoun Falls, Dixie, High Point Academy*, McCormick, South Carolina School for Deaf and Blind*, Tamassee-Salem*, Ware Shoals, Whitmire.

You want some travel time, then this is your region. Salem barely has 150 students. Should be combined with Walhalla.

Let the whining begin......

"This is too far..."
"Those schools are too big..."
"There's only 4 conference games...."

o_O

Won't EVER make EVERYBODY happy....

:D

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new 5A go to something very similar to what the current 3A classification is doing. They play 10 regular season games, 4 rounds of playoffs and a title game. That's 32 teams getting in the playoffs.
If not, can you imagine the up rising there will be if a 9-2 or 8-3 team such as Gaffney, Byrnes or Spartanburg missed the playoffs because they finished 3rd or 4th in a very tough region. Same thing maybe said about the teams in the Charleston area.

After all they (SCHSL) made each classification as balanced as they could with 42'ish teams in each. So now they have it setup where each classification can use the same playoff format. Now I guess the big question would be do they cross bracket state wide or go with the lower state, upper state bracket format.

"This is too far..."

o_O

Greenwood got screwed on geography. If they put / kept Greenwood in Region 1 the average region contest for any sport would be 57 miles. As it is with Greenwood in Region 2 they will travel an average of 90 miles back and forth for a region contest. Right now in the current Region 1 - 4A set up Greenwood travels 81 miles round trip on average for a region contest. Greenwood 50 better get that transportation budget looked over between now and next year. Why remove a school from their current region, a region they've been in for years, move them to another region where the cost of transportation goes up, when if you left them Region 1 their cost of transportation would go down substantially for them? As it is, Greenwood will have to travel past Woodmont (a Region 1 school) to get to everyone of their region contests except for Laurens. Someone explain that one to me.

Region 1 SHOULD have left Greenwood in and kept JL Mann in Region 2. Laurens in region 2 works out for them geography wise so that move made sense.

"This is too far..."

o_O

Coach you are correct, can't make everybody happy. I am a Region 1 guy in 5A, so this is good for my team. With our new coach, we should be winning Region every year. However, I am a fair guy.

My question to you is a honest question;

How will they pick post season teams? Will it be how you finish in your own Region? Points? Committee? etc...

The reason I ask, Region 1, 3 and 4 will only have four Region games: 2 and 6 will have five Region games: 5 will have six and Region 7 will have seven Region games.

Will 1,3 and 4 be able to "pad" their wins by playing lesser teams and such or anything like that?

JB or anybody else that would like to comment to inform me, please do so.

Greenwood got screwed on geography. If they put / kept Greenwood in Region 1 the average region contest for any sport would be 57 miles. As it is with Greenwood in Region 2 they will travel an average of 90 miles back and forth for a region contest. Right now in the current Region 1 - 4A set up Greenwood travels 81 miles round trip on average for a region contest. Greenwood 50 better get that transportation budget looked over between now and next year. Why remove a school from their current region, a region they've been in for years, move them to another region where the cost of transportation goes up, when if you left them Region 1 their cost of transportation would go down substantially for them? As it is, Greenwood will have to travel past Woodmont (a Region 1 school) to get to everyone of their region contests except for Laurens. Someone explain that one to me.

Region 1 SHOULD have left Greenwood in and kept JL Mann in Region 2. Laurens in region 2 works out for them geography wise so that move made sense.

I agree, still scratching my head on that one ?????

7 region games is crazy and Cane will not be 4A for very long. It will be a huge school when the Nexton Development hits full gear.

Kind of a wash for Midland Valley. Instead of driving to Columbia for region games, we'll be driving to Columbia for non-region games.

Travel is tough for Greenwood but only one team to beat in region. OH wait that how it is now.

North Augusta is going to cruise through that region every single year. Take out Lexington, White Knoll and River Bluff and add in Airport and Midland Valley? Yes please.

Reactions: SlimGamecock
Coach you are correct, can't make everybody happy. I am a Region 1 guy in 5A, so this is good for my team. With our new coach, we should be winning Region every year. However, I am a fair guy.

My question to you is a honest question;

How will they pick post season teams? Will it be how you finish in your own Region? Points? Committee? etc...

The reason I ask, Region 1, 3 and 4 will only have four Region games: 2 and 6 will have five Region games: 5 will have six and Region 7 will have seven Region games.

Will 1,3 and 4 be able to "pad" their wins by playing lesser teams and such or anything like that?

JB or anybody else that would like to comment to inform me, please do so.

Ok... so here's the long and short of it: I dunno. And neither does anyone else. We all assume the God-like, yet powerless entity that is the SCHSL will make points an important requirement for all classifications. However, all teams are scrambling to schedule games for next season now that many, many teams have less Conference games.

But here's the kicker...... most everyone will be scheduling BLIND.

I know, I know... I can hear everyone saying, "Dowhat?"

Since the AAA teams don't know if they are going to be in a point system or not, they have to be careful scheduling any AA games, even if it's a rivalry or less travel. Same thing up and down the A's classification. The formerly-known-as-AAAA-but-now-AAAAA teams have already mastered this issue, so they will continue to dance with the big boys for non-conference games. It's everyone else sprinting to book games with no real knowledge of HOW the playoffs will be decided after this season that could run smackdab into the brick wall of no playoffs with a 7-3 record - five wins over lower classifications and only 2 conference wins. .

Happy, happy, happy.....

:confused:

I don't think Coach Burnette at Airport is going to be happy with every other team in 4A Region 4 from the Aiken/ Augusta area. Thats a lot of long trips.

The talk I heard when this came out was an 11-game regular season with a 16-team playoff in all classes. Region champ gets auto bid, remaining bids are on points.

scbuckeye, may not be over yet with the regions as they are now. Deals can still be made for teams to swap regions and Greenwood could do that with Mann or Woodmont. - also, the SCHSL does not determine the playoff setting. Each classification does their own and it will be September before plans are presented and one is adopted so final scheduling can not be done until the plan comes out, and appeals are heard and the entire thing is finalized.

I don't see Greenwood being in region 2 over 1 as that big of a deal. 25 goes straight to Greenville. I travel to and from all of the time. Many Greenwood people work and shop in Greenville.

The talk I heard when this came out was an 11-game regular season with a 16-team playoff in all classes. Region champ gets auto bid, remaining bids are on points.

Yep... but that's all it was... TALK.

Until the SCHSL tells us what the rules are, we can TALK ourselves deaf, blind and stupid... but it won't mean much.

Haven played region games at Airport, Brookland-Cayce, Swansea, Dreher, Eau-Claire, Gilbert, Keenan, Chapin and even Camden over the years, there won't be many people at MV feeling sorry for Coach Burnette's travel budget.

It does work out nice for all the teams in the Aiken/ August area. The current region 5 is just about the same for MV until last year when they brought in Aiken. I know y'all enjoyed the playoff trip last year to the beach. Looking Forward to some great games this year. First scrimmage is just 36 hours away

I don't see how NA doesn't win that region every single year. We've beaten Midland Valley like 30 years in a row, Aiken and South Aiken haven't beaten us in 7-8 years either and nothing against Airport but they aren't exactly a power.

I hate to see Western 3A split up. It will not be the same with Daniel , BHP , Pickens and Wren heading to 4a.

AAAA
Region 4: Aiken, Airport, Midland Valley, North Augusta, South Aiken.
NA will dominate that region.

AAA
Region 4: Brookland-Cayce, Edisto, Gilbert, Pelion, Strom Thurmond, Swansea.
ST will dominate that region.

AA
Region 3: C.A. Johnson, Eau Claire, Fox Creek, Gray Collegiate, Keenan, Saluda.
Well balanced and poor region overall.

A
Region 3: Blackville-Hilda, Denmark-Olar, Estill, Hunter-Kinard-Tyler, North, Ridge Spring-Monetta, Wagener-Salley, Williston-Elko.
Hail to the hyphenated high schools.

I don't think Coach Burnette at Airport is going to be happy with every other team in 4A Region 4 from the Aiken/ Augusta area. Thats a lot of long trips.
Midland Valley has been traveling to Columbia for region games forever. There was one cycle that had MV in the same region with Airport, BC, Lower Richland, Flora, Dreher and then Chapin threatened to sue because they did not want to go to the upstate region they had been assigned to. 6 trips to Columbia for most athletic teams while the Columbia schools came to Aiken once. Airport was the closest site the Mustangs had to travel to. The shoe is on the other foot now. I don't think there will be any tears shed for Airport in Graniteville.

Reactions: VoiceOfTheMustangs
I am so glad this is my sons Senior year. Airport will still be a strong team next year. They have a lot of size and strength in the freshman and sophomore class. There QB and some of there top WR's will be back also.

Look forward to welcoming Airport to Aiken Co. North Augusta next 2 years (2016-2017) will have their biggest and fastest teams they have had since the 2010 team. We have been waiting on this class since they were in 8th grade. The QB will have a year of Varsity experience and will only be a Jr so you will get to see him for two years. Welcome back to AAAA football!! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT