ADVERTISEMENT

"Real" State Champion

0ldtimer

Rookie
Jun 25, 2016
Now that we have 4 champs in each weight class I'd be interested to see who everyone thinks would win if the final four had a tournament... There would be some awesome matches I think, and a huge question could be answered... Could Cole Murphy compete/beat either Caspio and North?!
My picks include:
106 Patterson
113 Brassuer
120 Aquino
126 Jenkins
132 Mansfield vs Chavis I don't think these two ever wrestled but i'm pretty positive they have each beat same competition similar ways
138 Leitten
145 Emory
152 Here we go... Cole Murphy is a 3x, Caspio is very good, and North is a 2x who wins and why
160 Parker
170 Christie
182 Probably the most exciting if this was done out of the 14 classes. You have the sophomore stud Brown from BE, you have 4x finalist Newton from Emerald, Maholtz from Eastside, and Rojas from BS... I honestly don't know who would win this
195 Smith
220... Trephan vs Kaminsky.... Id take Kaminsky due to experience
HWT... Manos

From Above:
"132 Mansfield vs Chavis I don't think these two ever wrestled but i'm pretty positive they have each beat same competition similar ways"

They met at Military Duals this year. Mansfield over Chavis in a decision, don't believe it was a major.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Manos vs James. Guys are good friends, solid athletes. James got Manos last season in a match. But a big tourney makes for exciting, unpredictable matches. Good lineup.

106: Aluyan
113: Brassuer
120: Aquino
126: Wilkins
132: Mansfield
138: Leitten
145: Emory
152: North
160: Parker
170: Reynolds ( he was cheated out of that match for sure )
182: Rojas
195: Montgomery
220: Trephan
285: Jackson

170 Billy Christie from Hilton Head is now a 2X state champ. He has not lost a match to a SC wrestler the past two years. Not flashy so he might get overlooked. As fundamentally sound as they come. Stays in position and works hard.

I actually think Christie is the best 170 in the state, and I feel the same about North. North is also a 2x state champ but you don't hear about him because he's not flashy. Both are very solid.

Reactions: Mettsm
These things are hard to get good participation:

1) Most kids are content with their state title regardless of the number of classifications( Which Incan understand and respect), parents and sometimes even some coaches aid in avoiding these match ups in favor of legacy building. The my kid hasn't lost a match in SC in 2 years... undefeated state champ etc... type approach/mentality. They don't want to risk being the 5A State Champion and losing to the 3A guy.

In a state like ours that isn't very deep, it only hurts the kids when they arent testing themselves every chance they can. I have seen this mentality and never understood it. The "hey, no reason for our kids to be in the same bracket, their clearly the best, you go this weight, I'll go that weight etc..

There are some wrestlers and coaches I know that would jump at the chance and I know there are other circumstances that make it difficult, but I think above is a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: revfrank4

1) Most kids are content with their state title regardless of the number of classifications( Which Incan understand and respect), many parents and sometimes even some coaches aid in avoiding these match ups in favor of legacy building. The my kid hasn't lost a match in SC in 2 years... undefeated state champ etc... type approach/mentality. They don't want to risk being the 5A State Champion and losing to the 3A guy.

In a state like ours that isn't very deep, it only hurts the kids when they arent testing themselves every chance they can. I have seen this mentality and never understood it. The "hey, no reason for our kids to be in the same bracket, their clearly the best, you go this weight, I'll go that weight etc..

There are some wrestlers and coaches I know that would jump at the chance and I know there are other circumstances that make it difficult, but I think above is a factor.

Not sure if that "no SC losses in 2 years" was thrown at me or not. We don't dodge anyone. I have tried my best to make the coastal clash the most competitive tournament around. I have always had an open invitation to our seashawk Duals. Many would argue the Coach Trap Duals is the most competitive in the state. I know the wildcat Duals at Lexington is as well so I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. The point is we try our best to wrestle the best. With us being so isolated from the rest of the state it isn't easy. I would also like to say that most coaches do agree with combining classes.

Not sure if that "no SC losses in 2 years" was thrown at me or not. We don't dodge anyone. I have tried my best to make the coastal clash the most competitive tournament around. I have always had an open invitation to our seashawk Duals. Many would argue the Coach Trap Duals is the most competitive in the state. I know the wildcat Duals at Lexington is as well so I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. The point is we try our best to wrestle the best. With us being so isolated from the rest of the state it isn't easy. I would also like to say that most coaches do agree with combining classes.

Coach,
A tournament that has teams like Camden Ga and Brandon Fl in it is by far the toughest tournament. Coastal clash has all the others beat. JMO.

Reactions: revfrank4
We have great tournaments in SC, and they are scattered from upper to middle to lower state. If a Coach wants to get his guys great matches they will go to most of the following:
1. Southern slam
2. Coastal clash
3. Wildcat duals
4. Military duals
Here we had 2 extremely hard individual tournaments. Need proof... Aj leitten, will thomas, John van slooten, Matt rudy, and Patton Gossett all lost at one of these tournaments. You also have two extremely tough dual tournaments. Where I'm pretty sure most state championship teams attended at least one. The competition is out there!

It wasn't directed at you or anyone specifically, just more of a generalization. Looking back at your post now, I can understand how it might appear that way, but honestly I read the first post and go to the last, skipping alllot in the middle. That was referenced from a conversation a few years back where someone was making that case, and it doesn't involve anyone I have seen post on this thread.

As I said there are coaches and wrestlers that seek the best kids within a weight class of them, if your one of them, I applaud you for that. However, there are also some out there that don't embrace that as I described.

As for the Coastal Clash, I know half the families on the Buford Team, and their presence, along with Camden, Brandon and other GA teams, makes that as tough an event as you can get. The only thing that could have made that better is if Elller would have been 138 and wrestled AJ, and would like to have seen Eastside at the event, but maybe next year. Hopefully it will continue to grow and attract more top regional programs with the new location.

What I was referring to is the inner state competition. It wasn't intended to blast anyone etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuckkillerSC
We have great tournaments in SC, and they are scattered from upper to middle to lower state. If a Coach wants to get his guys great matches they will go to most of the following:
1. Southern slam
2. Coastal clash
3. Wildcat duals
4. Military duals
Here we had 2 extremely hard individual tournaments. Need proof... Aj leitten, will thomas, John van slooten, Matt rudy, and Patton Gossett all lost at one of these tournaments. You also have two extremely tough dual tournaments. Where I'm pretty sure most state championship teams attended at least one. The competition is out there!

Loved watching good comp back in the day...my nephew was 182 and wrestled the likes of BJ Yeargin, Daniel Bannister, Cody Eller, pretty good kid from 96, Davis from BE and Kaminsky from BC. Those type matches made him better and finally he won it all in 2014. I think he also finished 4th that year at the Slam.

Does anyone else find it ironic that Strobel is the one with his finger on the pulse of higher academia?
Lol. At LHS we take academics very seriously. Thats why they are called STUDENT athletes. Not saying I was an A student but I want these kids to be able to go on to the college they want to go to. I can honestly say I'm just as proud of the overall GPA our team achieves every year as I am the wrestling accolades that they achieve.

I asked Cole Murphy himself. Noah North majored Cole Murphy 12-3 this past season at Walhalla Duals. Just to clear that up that Noah North is the best 152
I thought Cole was @ 160. When did they wrestle? Not doubting you, I know Cole got a late start due to football and an injury. Sounds like it'd be a good match to watch now.

1) Most kids are content with their state title regardless of the number of classifications( Which Incan understand and respect), many parents and sometimes even some coaches aid in avoiding these match ups in favor of legacy building. The my kid hasn't lost a match in SC in 2 years... undefeated state champ etc... type approach/mentality. They don't want to risk being the 5A State Champion and losing to the 3A guy.

Great SC wrestlers are not scared of each other, their winning records or GA wrestlers. SC wrestlers need to get some respect. You are very PRO GA., which is fine for a GA forum.

Great SC wrestlers are not scared of each other, their winning records or GA wrestlers. SC wrestlers need to get some respect. You are very PRO GA., which is fine for a GA forum.

Most of the best SC wrestlers have traveled all up and down the east coast to better themselves. I doubt they are scared to face each other in state. I do think some kids avoid others because they are friends

Reactions: Mettsm
I have been to the GA S32 qualifier and S32 the last 2 years in addition to the NHSCA nationals tourney. I saw many SC wrestlers at one or more of these. Most I saw are All-State wrestlers for SC and lots of SC state champs. I won't give names so I don't slight anyone who was there that I did not see or overlook. I also know some SC wrestled at Flo Eastern worlds in TN, Honey Badger and some other NC events. Many SC wrestlers are not afraid to wrestler others outside SC.

Mrs. Metts. I've stated my opinion, you can chose to take it in whatever context you would like to, whether the correct context or not, as you are entitled to your opinion. I am certainly PRO GA wrestling, I am envious of the opportunities and culture they have built in that state. I wish our kids had the same. There are many SC wrestlers I enjoy watching and coaches I respect. I dont think anything I have said indicates otherwise. Sure I am critical at the lack of opportunities our kids in SC have compared to GA, it frustrates me because I know it puts our kids at disadvantage to their kids.

It frustrates me because I actually do care about the SC wrestlers/wrestling and want them to improve. I know there are people who want and work toward the same goal, so it isn't an attack on any coach/wrestler/individual who works towards that, it's a call to the ones who aren't, the ones who are holding back progress. If you find that as a negative, I'm sorry, I won't apologize for that.

In this particular thread, if you go to my original post on this topic you will see that it centered on all the classifications State Champs.... Nothing about GA/out of state competition. I don't think I ever said SC wrestlers were afraid of GA wrestlers......... The GA talk came on a subsequent complementing the competitive level of the Coastal Clash. I still stand by what I said in my original post in this thread, about the challenges in getting all the State Champs to square off, that is my opinion that comes from allot of years around the sport and just isn't specific to SC wrestling when it comes to trying to get all classifications together, my thoughts carry over to other states in that scenario.

It's not as if I'm a stranger to you/you know who I am, feel free to go back to my original post in this thread and If you want to offer a counter opinion to my thoughts, I'm ok with that. That is what a forum/discussion board is for.

Last edited:
I remember an AAU State Tournament when Clay Walker was in the 8th grade and he and Jordan Wigger who was in 10th wrestled one heck an "exhibition" match. Jordan wrestled at all the AAU states and was always encouraging the younger Citadel club kids. I'd love to see that from a lot more of the HS placers and champions - get and wrestle each other - wrestle the up and comers - cheer and coach the young ones - be role models. And GA definitely is ahead of SC wrestling - but I have no doubt that SC does the best it can.

Not sure how GA got it rolling - but IMO, if SC Youth Wrestling was run by independent leaders for 5 year stints (those without sons in youth wrestling) - you could maintain continuity and purpose and limit the accusations of bias to a particular area or school. SCYWA has to retool the leadership every couple of years and while those individuals give tirelessly of their time and effort - the ship constantly changes course. That's the big question - who could/would be able to not only step up into a long term leadership role? That person should also be able to obtain corporate sponsors and craft a publicity campaign, as well as develop a uniform referee training that could 'feed' the high school level. Not just a Saturday clinic once a year. Everyone has great ideas, but no one (and I include myself) is willing or able to step up - or if they are willing - the current powers that be make it impossible. I know there's got to be a business executive out there with incredible leadership and organizational powers and ability to pull a team together (I may be typing to someone specifically) - please consider stepping up.

Reactions: countykid
Mrs. Metts. I've stated my opinion, you can chose to take it in whatever context you would like to, whether the correct context or not, as you are entitled to your opinion. I am certainly PRO GA wrestling, I am envious of the opportunities and culture they have built in that state. I wish our kids had the same. There are many SC wrestlers and coaches I respect. I dont think anything I have said indicates otherwise. Sure I am critical at the lack of opportunities our kids in SC have compared to GA, it frustrates me because I know it puts our kids at disadvantage to their kids.

It frustrates me because I actually do care about the SC wrestlers/wrestling and want them to improve. I know there are people who want and work toward the same goal, so it isn't an attack on any coach/wrestler/individual who are working towards that, it's a call to the ones who aren't, the ones who are holding back progress. If you find that as a negative, I'm sorry, I won't apologize for that.

In this particular thread, if you go to my original post on this topic you will see that it centered on all the classifications State Champs.... Nothing about GA/out of state competition. I don't think I ever said SC wrestlers were afraid of GA wrestlers......... The GA talk came on a subsequent complementing the competitive level of the Coastal Clash. I still stand by what I said in my original post in this thread, about the challenges in getting all the State Champs to square off, that is my opinion that comes from allot of years around the sport and just isn't specific to SC wrestling when it comes to trying to get all classifications together, my thoughts carry over to other states in that scenario.

It's not as if I'm a stranger to you/you know who I am, feel free to go back to my original post in this thread and If you want to offer a counter opinion to my thoughts, I'm ok with that. That is what a forum/discussion board is for.[/
Mrs. Metts. I've stated my opinion, you can chose to take it in whatever context you would like to, whether the correct context or not, as you are entitled to your opinion. I am certainly PRO GA wrestling, I am envious of the opportunities and culture they have built in that state. I wish our kids had the same. There are many SC wrestlers and coaches I respect. I dont think anything I have said indicates otherwise. Sure I am critical at the lack of opportunities our kids in SC have compared to GA, it frustrates me because I know it puts our kids at disadvantage to their kids.

It frustrates me because I actually do care about the SC wrestlers/wrestling and want them to improve. I know there are people who want and work toward the same goal, so it isn't an attack on any coach/wrestler/individual who are working towards that, it's a call to the ones who aren't, the ones who are holding back progress. If you find that as a negative, I'm sorry, I won't apologize for that.

It's not as if I'm a stranger to you/you know who I am, feel free to go back to my original post in this thread and If you want to offer a counter opinion to my thoughts, I'm ok with that. That is what a forum/discussion board is for.

I know you are no stranger, as well as I know we are all free to offer our opinions. I am probably still a little annoyed with an earlier thread where you stated " GA. could probably put together an all freshman team that could beat a SC team made up of the best wrestler at every weight" SC kids work just as hard as GA kids. Our programs might not be up to par, but give our wrestlers a break. We have a have some amazing talent.

Reactions: Eagle Hater 3333
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT