ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment

swollen1

All-State Pick
Sep 4, 2003
Saw this on a soccer board. What does everyone think? This is for a 5 Divisions

I received this from an Upper State Athletic Director earlier this week on the proposed SCHSL Realignment for 2016-18 (if anything is incorrect, I apologize, but wanted to share[/I]:

DIVISION 5 (40)
Region 1 - Easley, T.L. Hanna, J.L. Mann, Westside, Woodmont
Region 2 - Byrnes, Hillcrest, Mauldin, Riverside, Wade Hampton-G
Region 3 - Boiling Springs, Dorman, Gaffney, Northwestern, Spartanburg
Region 4 - Blythewood, Clover, Fort Mill, Ridge View , Rock Hill
Region 5 - Dutch Fork, Irmo, Lexington, River Bluff, White Knoll
Region 6 - Carolina Forest, Lugoff-Elgin, South Florence, Spring Valley, West Florence
Region 7 - Fort Dorchester, Goose Creek, Stratford, Sumter, Wando
Region 8 - Ashley Ridge, Bluffton, Colleton County, Summerville, West Ashley

DIVISION 4 (40)
Region 1 - Greenwood, Laurens, Pickens, Travelers Rest, Wren
Region 2 - Blue Ridge, Eastside, Greenville, Greer, Union County
Region 3 - Lancaster, Nation Ford, South Pointe, Westwood, York
Region 4 - Airport, Chapin, Dreher, A.C. Flora, Lower Richland
Region 5 - Aiken, Midland Valley, North Augusta, Orangeburg-Wilkinson, South Aiken
Region 6 - Hartsville, Lakewood, Marlboro County, Richland Northeast, Wilson
Region 7 - Conway, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, St. James, Socastee
Region 8 - Beaufort, Berkeley, Cane Bay, Hilton Head Island, James Island Charter

DIVISION 3 (40)
Region 1 - Berea, Daniel, Seneca, Walhalla, West-Oak
Region 2 - Belton-Honea Path, Emerald, Palmetto, Pendleton, Southside
Region 3 - Broome, Chapman, Chester, Indian Land, Woodruff
Region 4 - Clinton, Columbia, Fairfield Central, Mid-Carolina, Newberry
Region 5 - Brookland-Cayce, Gilbert, Pelion, Strom Thurmond, Swansea
Region 6 - Camden, Crestwood, Darlington, Lake Marion, Manning
Region 7 - Aynor, Dillon, Lake City, Loris, Waccamaw
Region 8 - Battery Creek, Georgetown, Hanahan, Stall, Timberland

DIVISION 2 (40)
Region 1 - Abbeville, Crescent , Liberty, Ninety Six, Powdersville
Region 2 - Batesburg-Leesville, Eau Claire, Fox Creek, Keenan, Saluda
Region 3 - Blacksburg, Buford, Carolina, Chesnee, Landrum
Region 4 - Andrew Jackson, Central, Chesterfield, Lee Central, North Central
Region 5 - Barnwell, Edisto, Hardeeville-Ridgeland, Silver Bluff, Wade Hampton-H
Region 6 - Andrews, Calhoun County, Johnsonville , Kingstree, Woodland
Region 7 - Cheraw, East Clarendon , Latta, Marion, Mullins
Region 8 - Academic Magnet, Bishop England, Garrett, North Charleston, Whale Branch

DIVISION 1 (40)
Region 1 - Calhoun Falls, Christ Church, Dixie , McCormick, St. Joseph's, Southside Christian, Ware Shoals, Whitmire
Region 2 - Blackville-Hilda, Hunter-Kinard-Tyler, North, Ridge Spring-Monetta, Wagener-Salley, Williston-Elko
Region 3 - Great Falls, C.A. Johnson, Lamar, Lewisville, McBee, Timmonsville
Region 4 - Allendale-Fairfax, Bamberg-Ehrhardt, Bethune-Bowman, Branchville, Denmark-Olar, Estill
Region 5 - Carvers Bay, Creek Bridge, Green Sea-Floyds, Hannah-Pamplico, Hemingway, Lake View
Region 6 - Baptist Hill, Burke, Cross, Lincoln, Military Magnet, C.E. Murray, St. John's, Scott's Branch

I saw something similar earlier this year ---- think it makes a lot of sense - which makes me think that it wont gain support. too simply and logical...for some reason our state always seems to want to make everything complicated

Going to be tough fitting 4 mats into the Anderson Civic Center. Would have to combine D's I, II, & III. People must be migrating to South Carolina from California to escape the drought.... oh wait, this is a football thing.

Not a big fan myself but we all know it has nothing to do with us, or any other sport for that matter, except for one.

I've heard that AAAA ADs voted for a 6 classification system, while AAA ADs voted for a 5 class system, probably like the one that is here. The executive committee can choose either of those, or keep the same system we have. I have no idea when they are supposed to meet. Supposedly a decision is going to be made in April.

4A's voted for a 3 class system with 2 FB champions in each class (6 total for the mathematically challenged). That or the 5 class system is probably what is going to pass.

TBowe

Don't forget new legislation passed has the private schools jumping up one division starting 2016. This would throw the 40 schools per division off a bit....

My AD heard SC wanting to go to a 1A-6A system.....

My son's school probably wins region if this happens.

Division 5, Region 7 is a guantlet and Region 8 just hand Summerville the trophy 9 out of 10. Posted from Rivals Mobile
This post was edited on 4/18 8:49 AM by DuckDitchTiger

Isn't this kind of like the rec league philosophy of giving every kid a trophy even if they finish last? More champions take a little bit of the luster off winning a state title. If football coaches can't win under the current format, maybe they should do a better job coaching.

But the 3 kids from OW will automatically be region champs AND host a playoff match... So that is cool.

-The 4A's voted for the 6 Class system that acts as 3 during the regular seasons and splits into 6 for playoffs. In the regular season the regions are comprised of teams from 2 classes (6A/5A schools will make the big school regions, 1A/2A schools make the small school regions, and 4A/3A schools in the middle). Playoff brackets will be determined by point system and split into their separate 6 classes.

-In the 3A's meeting we voted for a 5 class system that set the classes by enrollment range (ex. 5A is 3500-2500, 4A is 2499-2000, 3A is 1999-1500, etc.........those ARE NOT the ranges.....I just made up those numbers..... they have not been determined yet). The classifications would not be an equal number of teams, but would be closer in enrollment which seemed to be the top concern.

-I know the 2A's voted for a 5 class system, but I don't know if it was based on enrollment range or by an even number of schools in each class.

-Still have not found out what the 1A's voted for.

The classification voting results do not determine the system used. The results are used as suggestions by the executive committee when they decide the system to use.

Also, in the general assembly mtg, the schools voted to adjust the private and charter schools to reflect the enrollment of the public school zone in which they reside. The adjustment can not be more than 1 classification.

That said, it will be reversed in the state legislature, or by any half-decent lawyer. A bill is already being processed (don't know what stage) to prevent that action. Like it or not, the basis of their argument is it treats certain member schools differently than others. It will never happen due to the call of discrimination. The SCHSL charter/mission statement even states all member schools, public and private, will be treated equally.

The Bishop England AD got up and spoke to the state's AD's and Pricipals and said "we have parents that are legislators, and we have a lot of parents who are lawyers at Bishop England. You can pass this if you want, but we will immediately begin to prevent this action through them, and will win."

The SCWCA took a poll from the wrestling coaches about expanding the bracket at the state tournament from 8 to 12 for next season. The vote was 111-3 to increase the bracket. At the Principal's and AD's meeting in Charleston, the AAAA and AAA AD's were polled about increasing the bracket and shortening the season by 1 week. the results were 44-0 to make a change in AAAA and 42-1 to increase the bracket in AAA and 43-0 to shorten the season in AAA. 98% of the wrestling coaches and Athletic Directors in our state were in favor of a change of the number of qualifiers at the state tournament. According to news tweets from the executive committee meeting that happened yesterday, the proposal to increase the number of qualifiers at the upper and lower state qualifiers from 4 to 6 was voted down 15-0.

The Executive Committee did vote to increase the number of classifications from 4 to 5. By doing that, the executive committee may have eliminated the need to increase the bracket size at the state tournament. There are 155 wrestling schools in SC, assuming that wrestling schools are evenly distributed within each classification, there will be 31 schools in each classification. having 8 qualifiers in each classification will be will represent 26% of the possible wrestlers in a weight class. The SCWCA identified 25% as the number of wrestlers qualified to the state tournament. This number allows our state to be similar to NC and GA with respect to percentage of state qualifiers and wrestling schools.

The SC Wrestling Coaches Association will continue to improve the sport of wrestling in our state.

again, the 12 man bracket i believe was contingent on a 4 class system. Since the 5 class system was adopted....won't we still achieve our goal of increasing the number of qualifiers therefore increasing revenue to hold it at a bigger venue once the Anderson contract expires in two years.

Creating a fifth classification will increase the number of qualifiers, but does nothing to continue improving the quality of wrestling at our state tournament, simply put, there will be quality wrestlers left out of certain classifications!

Reactions: swollen1
I'm thinking that there will be 4 individual champs with the 1A and 2A still combined. I don't think there will be enough teams in the 1A classification that have wrestling to justify it as its own class. So I'm guessing 4 state champs.

Did the executive committee vote for the shorten season? How would that work?

What will that mean for the amount of dates each school can have? (v-16, jv/ms-12)
Does it change the start date, end date or both?
Will it change the growth allowance date? (It should be +2 the day after Christmas instead of Jan.1. Georgia does it this way and it makes a lot of sense.)

Kimrey, why are you asking questions that pertain to wrestling? This is about American throwball - nothing concerning wrestling will change.... unless it will somehow benefit pigskin-egg-carry.

ADVERTISEMENT