ADVERTISEMENT

Refs? What is going on?

It seems that if the officials allow stalling it makes their job that much easier. Instead of having to move around or get up and down, they just watch a track star run or bull rider ride out parallel until time has expired. There were discussions early in the year about stalling, so that was a hint for you pathetic refs to actually call it. Your so called head ref went to the toughest Super 32 tournament to only see that they call stalling because wrestlers are not supposed to stall at these caliber tournaments or championship finals. Not calling stalling and missing calls with two refs on the mat is inexcusable and down right pathetic. There are a few good refs but the majority that hold that spot in the good ole boys club should be kicked out and previous state champs that are officials should fill in.

You're dang right! It's upsetting for guys to work so hard, and then lose because of a lack of calls, or bogus calls. It's unfair to the wrestlers. Granted there's terrific refs in our state, but shouldn't those awesome refs be calling the HUGE matches. I think yes. You can go back after, the film will not lie. There just shouldn't be so many questionable calls on the all state level matches. Not even that tournament.
It seems that if the officials allow stalling it makes their job that much easier. Instead of having to move around or get up and down, they just watch a track star run or bull rider ride out parallel until time has expired. There were discussions early in the year about stalling, so that was a hint for you pathetic refs to actually call it. Your so called head ref went to the toughest Super 32 tournament to only see that they call stalling because wrestlers are not supposed to stall at these caliber tournaments or championship finals. Not calling stalling and missing calls with two refs on the mat is inexcusable and down right pathetic. There are a few good refs but the majority that hold that spot in the good ole boys club should be kicked out and previous state champs that are officials should fill in.

You're dang right! It's upsetting for guys to work so hard, and then lose because of a lack of calls, or bogus calls. It's unfair to the wrestlers. Granted there's terrific refs in our state, but shouldn't those awesome refs be calling the HUGE matches. I think yes. You can go back after, the film will not lie. There just shouldn't be so many questionable calls on the all state level matches. Not even that tournament.

You really just gave a great suggestion. All of the refs at that tournament should have to rewatch the finals matches. But I can give you a great place to start when I comes to removing refs. All of the refs that was at 3A upperstate should never ref again. Non of them. They were terrible at upperstate and incompetent at state, even the ones assessing. They call stalling on the aggressor when the other wrestlers backs and backs up. It's rediculous. I like some of the refs but the majority are trash. Just plain and simple. Most of the refs should just stick to their day job because you're not doing anything to help this sport.
They are overlooking some good young refs that are state champs. They should be on the mat. Not the trash.

You really just gave a great suggestion. All of the refs at that tournament should have to rewatch the finals matches. But I can give you a great place to start when I comes to removing refs. All of the refs that was at 3A upperstate should never ref again. Non of them. They were terrible at upperstate and incompetent at state, even the ones assessing. They call stalling on the aggressor when the other wrestlers backs and backs up. It's rediculous. I like some of the refs but the majority are trash. Just plain and simple. Most of the refs should just stick to their day job because you're not doing anything to help this sport.
They are overlooking some good young refs that are state champs. They should be on the mat. Not the trash.

You are really starting to sound like one of those young refs that keeps getting looked over.

We do have some really good officials in this state but they are few and far between. I think for this to be fixed, the coaches and the officials need to meet each year before the start of the season and discuss the rules with each other and also any rule changes. That would be the first step. Next, we as coaches need to hold the refs accountable as well as our kids. Yes, the refs are terrible with stall calls but most of the coaches that complain about the refs not calling stalls teach their kids to stall. If it is you kid stalling are you going to hold the ref accountable and ask him to hit your own kid?

One of the worst calls I have seen all year would have to be the 5A 126 finals match. The Byrnes kid was hit with stalling as he is pressuring the Rock Hill kid. Then the second stalemate call was terrible. That was clearly stalling. Then the confusion at the end of the match about the Peterson roll. According to the rule, it should have been 2 because the kid was in fear of being on his back. However, if you do not agree with the 2 call then it has to at least be an escape/loss of control.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
We do have some really good officials in this state but they are few and far between. I think for this to be fixed, the coaches and the officials need to meet each year before the start of the season and discuss the rules with each other and also any rule changes. That would be the first step. Next, we as coaches need to hold the refs accountable as well as our kids. Yes, the refs are terrible with stall calls but most of the coaches that complain about the refs not calling stalls teach their kids to stall. If it is you kid stalling are you going to hold the ref accountable and ask him to hit your own kid?

One of the worst calls I have seen all year would have to be the 5A 126 finals match. The Byrnes kid was hit with stalling as he is pressuring the Rock Hill kid. Then the second stalemate call was terrible. That was clearly stalling. Then the confusion at the end of the match about the Peterson roll. According to the rule, it should have been 2 because the kid was in fear of being on his back. However, if you do not agree with the 2 call then it has to at least be an escape/loss of control.

That's what I don't understand. Why does the wrestler that pressures get hit with stalling? You're right, there are a few good officials, the rest are trash.

I do not understand that either. I saw that in a lot of matches. One of the heavy weight matches. Spartan High Vs. Fort D. The Fort D kid was smacking the inside of the Spartan high kids leg and the spartan high kid was fighting hands and trying to get better position, yet he was hit with stalling.

There are plenty of good officials in this state, but unfortunately, there are also plenty of bad ones. I think consistency is the biggest issue and causes most of the dissension between the coaches and officials. There needs to be more of an effort to reach an understanding. There are evaluators at most matches and tournaments and there were multiple at the State Tournament. Why don't the coaches have access to those evaluations? I would think it would help if the coaches knew how the Head Officials were instructing their crews to call matches. Everyone can get on here and complain about the way matches are called but if those officials are being told that they did a great job by the guy that books their matches and helps assign the officials for the State Tournament, what is really going to change?

There are plenty of good officials in this state, but unfortunately, there are also plenty of bad ones. I think consistency is the biggest issue and causes most of the dissension between the coaches and officials. There needs to be more of an effort to reach an understanding. There are evaluators at most matches and tournaments and there were multiple at the State Tournament. Why don't the coaches have access to those evaluations? I would think it would help if the coaches knew how the Head Officials were instructing their crews to call matches. Everyone can get on here and complain about the way matches are called but if those officials are being told that they did a great job by the guy that books their matches and helps assign the officials for the State Tournament, what is really going to change?

Well, for us this is the best place to complain. I know all the officials read this. By all of us parents and fans complaining at least the officials should think to their self, did I really "F" up that tournament? BTW- you did. The president of the coaches association should get all the coaches together by email or have a coaches conference and discuss this together and go to the head or lead officials and raise hell. All of the coaches together can change this and make it better. I'll go to our head coach and suggest a change but he knows a change is needed anyway. Everyone else should do the same. All of the head officials that I listed in the other post should be thinking maybe it's time we change because SC parents, fans and wrestlers are pissed at all of you.

Buck killer - I believe you want change for the right reasons, but for the guys that are wanting change because their wrestler or their kid or their brother was involved in a controversial ruling regardless if it's stalling or a Peterson or shoulders on the mat for 10 seconds without a pin being awarded, you are not helping the sport. You are helping yourself!

Again, I hate the way stalling is not called but the coach that is teaching stalling shouldn't be bitching about stall calls!

Another one I hate is when a kid has his opponent on his back but the ref has to swipe to 5 before he will award the pin but the same exact position on another mat can have an official awarding a pin after one or two swipes!

Buck killer - I believe you want change for the right reasons, but for the guys that are wanting change because their wrestler or their kid or their brother was involved in a controversial ruling regardless if it's stalling or a Peterson or shoulders on the mat for 10 seconds without a pin being awarded, you are not helping the sport. You are helping yourself!

Again, I hate the way stalling is not called but the coach that is teaching stalling shouldn't be bitching about stall calls!

Another one I hate is when a kid has his opponent on his back but the ref has to swipe to 5 before he will award the pin but the same exact position on another mat can have an official awarding a pin after one or two swipes!

You are very right on your last paragraph. That is very inconsistent among the officials. In industry we have to teach everyone to do their job the same. It's just the way all of this new quality systems works. We should expect any less from officials. They should do their job the same and be consistent.

I also agree that a coach should never teach a wrestler to stall. That's not the way of a true wrestler.

Coaches cant even question a referee during a match, how are coaches supposed to complain to refs outside of a match? I think it needs to start at the top with the head official calling out these refs that aren't so good. They need to go to extra training, camps, work tournaments without pay until they can prove they belong on the mat. Coaches used to evaluate officials on an online form but from what I was told coaches never used the assessments. This was also before they got those cool number patches on their scrawny arms. I would like to see something like that come back. Google Forms and Docs are free to create.

It is passing the point of just being "not good" when a referee gives stalling points to the person running. This is a consistent problem for one school in particular. The 3A state champions dealt with getting the short end of the stick in EVERY tournament. I get it, mistakes will be made occasionally, but I defy anyone to watch the video of James and Kaminsky and show me a stalling by James. It is completely biased and ridiculous.

It is passing the point of just being "not good" when a referee gives stalling points to the person running. This is a consistent problem for one school in particular. The 3A state champions dealt with getting the short end of the stick in EVERY tournament. I get it, mistakes will be made occasionally, but I defy anyone to watch the video of James and Kaminsky and show me a stalling by James. It is completely biased and ridiculous.

Well said shooter and 100% correct.

I'm going to bring this thread back to the top. What has the SC wrestling officials Association done to improve? What can we expect from the officials this year? Will they be the same? Will they improve? Will the bad be replaced with better? Any re-organization to help all districts? Consistency?

Head "LEADER" Official.....What are you doing to help make your officials better? We want to know.

The quote below is also had good points and suggestions. I will fill out the assessment for our team for every official. I'm sure other coaches can find someone to do it for them also. These wrestlers and teams deserve better by all officials.

Coaches cant even question a referee during a match, how are coaches supposed to complain to refs outside of a match? I think it needs to start at the top with the head official calling out these refs that aren't so good. They need to go to extra training, camps, work tournaments without pay until they can prove they belong on the mat. Coaches used to evaluate officials on an online form but from what I was told coaches never used the assessments. This was also before they got those cool number patches on their scrawny arms. I would like to see something like that come back. Google Forms and Docs are free to create.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT