ADVERTISEMENT

Rock Hill 09 vs Fort Dorchester 10.

Not that I can really speak to that team. I was in college and didn't follow then but I think the 01 or 02 Rock Hill team would have something to say about that. 4 eventual D-1 guys, one of which was a Junior Greco champ. Not to mention Marcus Cherry and the 125lber (whose name escapes me) who Barnes told many were the most talented guys on the squad.

Not that I can really speak to that team. I was in college and didn't follow then but I think the 01 or 02 Rock Hill team would have something to say about that. 4 eventual D-1 guys, one of which was a Junior Greco champ. Not to mention Marcus Cherry and the 125lber (whose name escapes me) who Barnes told many were the most talented guys on the squad.
Dead on ParTerre. 2010 FD would have won maybe four matches against that group. Even some of the better FD kids would have struggled because of the match ups. A few would have def won, but it would have been a fairly lopsided team score.

Always thought that team was probably worthy of a top 40 AWN ranking but of course those were the days of lagging ranking for teams that didn't update that often. If I remember correctly Fayetteville 71st was ranked in the top 40 and RH went toe to toe with them in a tourney or dual. I was also like 13 so maybe I made that up.

its hard to judge that man... apples to oranges... wrestling changes, and youre talking about a 10 year difference, and i assume youre talking about the 2000 RH team. Just got on SCmat and saw the 1990's RH team won traditional state by almost 100 points... what about them?

its hard to judge that man... apples to oranges... wrestling changes, and youre talking about a 10 year difference, and i assume youre talking about the 2000 RH team. Just got on SCmat and saw the 1990's RH team won traditional state by almost 100 points... what about them?
No doubt. There were some teams in the 90s that were tough as well. From around 90-2000 there were multiple all Americans, multiple time state champs, national runners up, and national champs coming outta that program. Wrestled teams from all across the country and gel their own. ParTerre the 125 you mentioned was probably Chris Collins who went on to UNC.

There have been several Rock Hill squads that have been rock crushers, and I may be a little biased, but I have always been of the opinion - at least since 2011 - that the 2010 FD team might just be the best this state has produced. Tremendous athletes top-to-bottom with several very technical kids. As an individual team they obviously did very well, but when it came to duals they were unstoppable.

2010 Fort D. versus 2008 Eastside. That Eastside team finished the state tournament 100 points ahead of the 2nd place finisher that year. I went back and looked at the 4A and 3A team scores for the last decade and no team comes close dominating their classifications state tournament the way Eastside did in '08. Coles, Baker, Jenkins, Teague, Poynter, B. Martin, C. Martin, Newton. Had 12 SQ's that year and 5 state champs and 3 runner ups!!!

'10 FD v. '08 Eastside

thoughts???

2009 vs. 2010

Let's look at the matchups.

103 Porter (rh) vs Romero (fd) advantage rh
112 Beck (rh) vs barfield (fd) advantage rh
119 beck (rh) vs Robinson (fd) advantage rh
125 grav (rh) vs maniche (fd) advantage rh
130 bugarin (fd) vs charette (rh) advantage fd
135 Durham (rh) vs Wilson (fd) Durham as a senior, Wilson as a sophomore, advantage rh
140 beck (rh) vs braeklin (fd) toss up
145 young (fd) vs ballard (rh) advantage fd
152 borja (fd) vs Jenkins (rh) advantage fd
160 Hansen (rh) vs bugarin (fd) advantage rh based on the same matchup from the previous year
171 tuck (rh) vs Thompson (fd) advantage rh
189 Flores (fd) vs Mcdonald(rh) advantage fd
215 porter (fd) vs valezquez (rh) advantage fd
285 sellers (fd) vs fair (rh) advantage fd

7-6 with one toss up between two REALLY great wrestlers. Bonus points would be the key for both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: lowcountrydad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT