ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Showdown

Jan 30, 2014
Midland Valley vs. A.C. Flora in the AAA Boys State Championship @ 7 pm on Saturday.

The Valley is seeking redemption after their disappointing loss to Flora earlier in the season and will give it all they got Saturday night. The return of Devon Young for the playoffs has been huge for the Mustangs because it provides an extra presence in the paint.

Flora will no doubt be the favorite to win, but I tell you one thing; this is the first state championship game the Valley has been to since 1997 & the 50 minute drive from Graniteville to Columbia is going to be filled with blue and orange to cheer on these boys. Expect a big crowd from MV and a fight from the Sauce Team on Saturday night.

I have never watched MV play, but they should be pumped up to be in Columbia. Flora is a tough out, hopefully they dont take them lightly like Lake Marion did with Newberry last year. I am looking forward to a great weekend.

Flora is tough but the Sauce Team has improved since they lost to the Falcons back in December. It should be a close, hard fought contest.

LBC Mustang - according to the SCHSL record book online, this is Midland Valley's first state final in basketball.. Did they go in 97 in bball or are you referring to another sport? Also, can you fill me in on the nickname "Sauce Team"? I'm familiar with the Two Carr Garage for football. This game is going to be the best of the day Saturday I believe. Was very impressed at the Lower State Final.

It is only the second state championship appearance for MV in any sport that I'm aware of. Women's Basketball in 1982 and baseball won state championship in 1997.

The players gave each other different sauce nicknames like Big Mac Sauce and hence became known as Sauce Team

Originally posted by Chefkdh:
It is only the second state championship appearance for MV in any sport that I'm aware of. Women's Basketball in 1982 and baseball won state championship in 1997.

The players gave each other different sauce nicknames like Big Mac Sauce and hence became known as Sauce Team
Wouldn't this appearance make 3 then? Girls' Basketball was Upper State champions but lost in the 4A title game? Baseball was state champions. First year in 3A, I think.

Anyway, I have only seen MV twice this year and I think they're a good team. Daniel Carr is one heckuva athlete. Is he playing football or basketball in college? Have no idea about Saturday. Flora is strong as well.

Yes, I was referring to their last state title appearance in any sport which was back in 1997 when they won the state championship in baseball. This is only the 3rd time in history for any sport that they are in the state championship so you can only imagine how excited everyone from the Valley is.

The nickname "Sauce Team" came about a couple of years ago as kind of an inside thing with the basketball team because all of the players had different skill sets or different "sauces" that they could bring to the table. The nickname caught on last year among students and then it kind of blew up around the area and even had a special sports report from a local news station about the nickname and the recent success of the team.

I hope this game lives up to they hype and both teams give it their all. Go Mustangs!

The Midland Valley vs AC Flora game was incredible. One of the best games I have watched.The fan support from both schools was amazing. The CLA was rocking. Some of the games were hard to watch, but overall it was a good weekend. Referees were absolutely pathetic, all of the games. I can't believe Jerome Singleton can sit and watch these guys and be happy with them. I was very impressed with Burke, very disciplined play and we'll coached. Every player was lighting fast. They are all young too, so I bet they will be back next year.

And that tech on MV for "slamming" the ball! Are you kidding me? That call could have given Flora a huge break if they had made their FTs and not got called for a charge.

Dumb play on that young mans part, but they will call it everytime. It definitly could have changed the momentum to Flora. They just couldnt get anything going. Kameron Brown is a ball player, he should try to walk on at Charleston if the football coaches will let him. Very impressed with his play.

ADVERTISEMENT