ADVERTISEMENT

Silver Bluff hire

BallCoach17

Varsity All American
Nov 20, 2007
Silver Bluff will hire former Eau Claire coach Burton Able. Able is currently the OL coach at Irmo. And has 13 career wins.

Thank goodness for walhalla!

This is easily the 2nd worst hire this year.

Last edited:
Football is not that important anymore to these new age school leaders. They see it is a violent sport that encourages more violence and everything negative around it including the academic portion. As long as they hire a warm body to take the fall if something happens then so be it. This is not just an SC thing as it is national trend. Football is the face of high school and if done correctly under the right leadership can change the culture of a school for the positive. Radical liberal school leaders see it as a problem though.

Last edited:
Football is not that important anymore to these new age school leaders. They see it is a violent sport that encourages more violence and everything negative around it including the academic portion. As long as they hire a warm body to take the fall if something happens then so be it. This is not just an SC thing as it is national trend. Football is the face of high school and if done correctly under the right leadership can change the culture of a school for the positive. Radical liberal school leaders see it as a problem though.

What an excellent post! I support it 110%! Never figured on a tradition rich place like Silver Bluff following suit, though.

My problem with these post are the fact that they take aim at individuals that inherited bad programs all together. Yes football is important but there is more to life than winning and losing games on friday night. Obviously both these schools hired individuals that they believe will help them earn long term success or they would not have gotten hired. No one except for maybe Walhalla is hiring someone to lose games. As a head coach you are only one piece of the puzzle, the right staff can help bring about a culture of winning regardless of a coaches past errors. Everyone has to do their job for a team to be successful it not solely based on one single person. If this hire does not make any sense by the end of the season then go on with your coach bashing but remember its more to it than meets the eye.

Reactions: CantThrowIt
My problem with these post are the fact that they take aim at individuals that inherited bad programs all together. Yes football is important but there is more to life than winning and losing games on friday night. Obviously both these schools hired individuals that they believe will help them earn long term success or they would not have gotten hired. No one except for maybe Walhalla is hiring someone to lose games. As a head coach you are only one piece of the puzzle, the right staff can help bring about a culture of winning regardless of a coaches past errors. Everyone has to do their job for a team to be successful it not solely based on one single person. If this hire does not make any sense by the end of the season then go on with your coach bashing but remember its more to it than meets the eye.

LOL

Wins & losses matter most....or else score wouldn't be kept.

Reactions: red raider alum
They got all kinds of problems over there when the head baseball guy left for Aiken I think they hired the dang school janitor to take over the program and that's working out real well from them. Might need to look at the ones doing the hiring over there.

They got all kinds of problems over there when the head baseball guy left for Aiken I think they hired the dang school janitor to take over the program and that's working out real well from them. Might need to look at the ones doing the hiring over there.

After this football hire....@ a program tradition rich like this, I think you're onto something.

I heard from sources Bryant didn't even get an interview. So that tells a lot. I thought he'd be a shoe in for the job.

Well for one, the fact that you still have to teach 2-3 classes and be AD without a secretary probably turned some off.

Aiken has a new Superintendent who was formerly the Associate Superintendent in Dorchester 2. His departure was celebrated by many in the district if you catch my drift. He was also in Beaufort before that and it was rumored that his departure from there was celebrated as well. Sounds like he is making lots of friends in Aiken as well.

Only thing with having to teach is silver bluff is so small that's why the teaching has to be done.

I WAS FROM BATH WHEN I WAS SMALL AND MY KIN WERE GREAT FOOTBALL PLAYERS AT LBC BEFORE MIDLAND VALLEY BUT DONT REMEMBER SILVER BLUFF BACK THEN? WHEN DID SILVER BLUFF COME ALONG, REMEMBER GRANETTEVILLE

Aiken County opened South Aiken, Silver Bluff, and Midland Valley around 1981.
South Aiken- split Aiken High in half
Midland Valley- combined Langley-Bath-Clearwater and Graniteville together into 1 school.
Silver Bluff- took Jackson High and the community of Beech Island from North Augusta and the community of New Ellenton from Aiken and combined into 1 school.

THANKS, WHEN I WAS AT BATH ELEMENTARY, IT WAS JUST THE LBC LIONS, AND MY COUS WAS THE QB BACK THEN.

ADVERTISEMENT