ADVERTISEMENT

Softball Coach moving to Greenville

Dec 31, 2017
Hello fellow softball fans!

Forgive my ignorance but I have been trying to find out information on high school softball in the area. I am moving to Greenville in February and I am a former high school softball coach and a current travel ball coach. I have coached for 18 years and I love the game. My daughters all played but they are grown up now but I’ve continued to coach.

I know there is no openings this late in the year or at least none that would be desirable. But wondering if anyone thinks a job may come open next year. I own a business which has afforded me the time to do what I love. I have purchased a business in the area which has required me to relocate.

Through high school and travel ball, I have developed many relationships with college coaches and have had countless players recruited and signed.

I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on high school softball in SC. I’m not at all familiar with it so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to SC! May I ask where you're relocating from? I'm no expert but I am of the opinion we have some good softball in the upstate with travel and the HS teams. Look at schools like Byrnes, JL Mann, Crescent, North Augusta, Woodruff to name a few. Not sure about Greenville County but some of the school districts require head coaches to be employees of the school district, if not then you could look at being an assistant.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply!

I’m from just outside of Louisville originally but the past two years I’ve lived in Lexington.

Yeah the KHSAA used to have a rule that you had to be an employee to coach but then realized that there were a lot of very talented coaches that weren’t in the school system. So they changed the by-law a few years ago to allow para professional coaches. Still had to take medical symposium and some certification classes but nothing out of the ordinary.

I currently coach a first year 16U team and we play in some big events (IDT in Colorado and Demarini in Chicago) to name a few. I was really just curious about the high school softball. I may try to pick out a few games to watch this season.

Again, thanks for the insight!

Make this one of your first stops in Greenville... http://premiersoftballhitting.com/

I'm sure you can get a lot of info from these folks. They're good people and great coaches esp Coach Genovese. To quote a parent I know, "Coach G just keeps putting girls in college.." Coach Moss's daughter is the current pitcher for the Lady Vols, Maddie Moss. They just added a former local standout and Kentucky grad, Sylver Samuel to their list of trainers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT