ADVERTISEMENT

stalling just not called

countykid

Four Year Letterman
May 30, 2007
Going to rant here just for a bit....

I attended a duals match on Saturday. One team (the underdog) would clam up on the bottom after getting taken down. The higher ranked (and eventual winner) team is known for their top work, especially a particular turn. But to have 80% of the team all doing the same thing to just "not get turned"? Good strategy, but bad wrestling, the refs may have called it twice. But that's not the worst part nor what the main rant is about. In one match there was a highly ranked wrestler that got reversed or taken down, can't remember which. The top wrestler (looking frustrated) had his forearm jammed hard in the back of the bottom man's neck, forcing his face in the mat but not working a turn. We all know that "move". Some refs will call it and at least stop it (i don't think it was at that point). Instead the ref hits the bottom man for stalling, STALLING! I tell ya folks, not calling it appropriately (which our refs hardly ever do) then calling it on the aggressor. Sometimes (one ref told me he did) it looks as if they will call it on the aggressor, if the coach (or a fan like me) is yelling at them to make the call, just to prove the point, that they are in charge. Just like they will NEVER, well hardly ever (i think i saw Carlus do it once) wave off an incorrect call. That would say that they made a mistake and we know that the ego in these refs would never allow them to admit to making a mistake.

done....whew

To any officials reading this rant:
I'll be sure and keep my mouth closed next time in an effort to save my aggressive wrestler.

saw an official at the region 2 - 5A tournament give out the first stalling call with less than 15 seconds left in the match and then hit the kid again 3 seconds later with his second stalling call so he could award a kid from a particular school a point and give him an added advantage with those last few seconds to maybe get a take down and the win. this particular ref is bad at stall calls when the match involves a kid from a particular school. have seen it happen a few times in recent history.

Easy now! I mentioned stalling earlier this year and got blasted...lol. Carlus is by far the best referee in the state of SC.

EH3333 - I don't do easy...

SCBuckeye - You would think that eventually the officials would get together , at their little get together and get some consistency. OR maybe get coaches together and start telling officials that if they want their check, they need to do their job! So much wrong, where to even start

Reactions: revfrank4
The refs need to get a better understanding of what stalling is. This can be done thru training, and communicated from the top down. Often a ref will try to make up for unrealized stalling they missed the earlier 2 periods and hit the warning and point within 30 seconds to a minute. That needs to be a focus of improvement and continuity among the refs. They work hard, just need some understanding of offensive and or defensive stalling tactics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT