ADVERTISEMENT

Starters Throw 152 & 121 Pitches in Legion Game

COHAZE

Five Star Prospect
Nov 12, 2004
Spartanburg's Devin Fuller (Broome) threw 152 pitches in Monday night's loss to Greer. Jordan Sizemore threw 121 pitches to pick up the win for Greer.

121 pitches is too many. 152 is idiotic. I don't care what the kid says. This is all on the coach.

Agreed. But, it will not happen anytime soon.

1. For one thing, the old farts that still run Legion baseball in S.C. (and nationally) are totally clueless when it comes to pitch counts and rest requirements. They are not capable of being educated. Until they retire or die off, nothing will change.

2. Too many old school Legion coaches that are equally as clueless, at least in this part of the state. These guys need to be retired or forced out, and that won't be easy.

3. Nine inning games tempt even decent coaches to do stupid things. Most teams do not have enough pitching to handle 3 9 inning games per week. Unfortunately, we're stuck with 9 inning games. (See No. 1 above).

As a State I think we need to implement a 100-110 pitch max

Reactions: Dak43
Guys,

Parents can stop this. Bottom line, end of story. The coach can be an idiot with this situation but a parent can stop this. My son would not pitch over 85 pitches in the summer especially after pitching during the season. Legion ball playing 9 innings with these kids is dumb. All parents care about is that there son is pitching well at the moment, not the future!

You're absolutely right that parents COULD stop this. But, you are ASSUMING that all parents have the same level of sophistication/knowledge on this issue that you do. Over half of the parents that I have come in contact with have no clue that this is even an issue.

And some of the parents that do understand the problem are afraid to say anything for fear of the repercussions to their kid. (There are some vindictive people coaching HS and Legion baseball). I DID say something when my 10th grader threw 140 pitches in a HS game, which immediately put me in the "one of those dads" category. But, it never happened again.

Guys,

Parents can stop this. Bottom line, end of story. The coach can be an idiot with this situation but a parent can stop this. My son would not pitch over 85 pitches in the summer especially after pitching during the season. Legion ball playing 9 innings with these kids is dumb. All parents care about is that there son is pitching well at the moment, not the future!

I think you are right about old farts running the legion and needing to give it up. I also think that legion needs to go to 7 innings because most high school kids can't play 9 innings and after 7 it starts to get pretty sloppy. But yes parents should keep track of the pitch count. If they don't know much about the sport learn that way your know the basics to be able to help your child. It is absolutely ridiculous that these two idiots coaching these teams allowed this to happen and should be forced to resign because this is going to put major strain on these two guys future in the long run. There is not telling what else these guys are willing to do just to win a baseball game. I coached legion for 4 years and never let mine go over 105 pitches even if it was close or they told me I feel great. I would not do anything to cause them to miss playing their high school season or possibly college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT