ADVERTISEMENT

The 2015 Deep South Bayou Duals

Mar 29, 2012
Hello; I hope you all are doing well as you prepare for the upcoming season. My name is Barrett Wilson and I coach at Brusly High School, located in West Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I also am the tournament director for the Deep South Bayou Duals, which is one of the largest high school dual meet format wrestling tournaments in the nation. I am reaching out to you all in hopes of filling a couple vacant spots in the 2015 Deep South Bayou Duals, which will be held on December 28th & 29th. Unfortunately, two schools recently backed out, due to unforeseen circumstances, leaving us scrambling to fill the openings. We actually would have absolutely no problem filling the vacancies with local teams, but would prefer to add out of state competition if possible. I realize that this is probably a long shot, as most of you have filled your schedules by now, but every year in the past we have added a team or two at about this time. So, maybe this will be of interest to a few of you out there.

Our tournament is fairly well known across the country, and even more so in the south/ southeastern regions, so perhaps you have already heard about Deep South Bayou Duals, or maybe you have not. Either way, I would like to take a few minutes to familiarize you with our event and some of the details.

The Deep South Bayou Duals is a 40 team dual meet format high school wrestling tournament. It was started in 2009, by Brusly High School with the help of the former LSU coach and standout college/NFL football player, Jerry Stovall. Coach Stovall heads the Baton Rouge Area Sports Foundation, whose mission is to bring high level sporting events to the city. We started small, but had a goal for this to become an event that would bring many different high schools from all across the country to compete against one another. The Deep South Bayou Duals really took off after the first couple of years and has become a premier wrestling tournament in the south. In past seasons we have hosted teams from 14 different states. Teams have competed from Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, California, Wisconsin, New York, and, of course, Louisiana.

The 2015 Deep South Bayou Duals will be held at the Baton Rouge River Center. This is truly a remarkable venue and perfect for wrestling, due to the abundant floor space, which allows us to easily wrestle on 16 mats. The venue is located in Downtown Baton Rouge, on the Mississippi River, less than 2 miles north of the LSU campus. The Baton Rouge River Center is with in walking distance of many hotels, restaurants, shopping, and other entertainment, making it extraordinarily fan friendly.

All teams competing at Deep South Bayou Duals will wrestle 8 - 9 dual meets, over the two days. We will have 8 pools of 5 schools, wrestling a round robin on day one and teams will advance to brackets, based on how well they finish in their respective pools. The great thing about this format is that it ensures that all the schools end up in competitive dual meets against teams of equal strength. It really is amazing to witness the 16 mats, providing 160 total dual meets, matching programs from all across the nation. It’s very rare to see so many diverse styles and great action in one season, but this happens here over the course of only two days.

The 2015 Deep South Bayou Duals will have teams from competing from at least 8 different states (Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin).

I do not want to fail to mention that the Brusly Wrestling Family takes a lot of pride in making this a hospitable event. Our hospitality room is first class, as it offers some of the best food from many local restaurants. Also, our biggest hit has been the complementary coaches’ social, which we put on after the conclusion of the first day of wrestling. The social is fantastic and offers a mouthwatering spread of Cajun cuisine that can only be found in South Louisiana.

You can go to www.deepsouthbayouduals.com to get more information about this event. Also, the results from the past four seasons can be found on www.trackwrestling.com.

If you are interested in possibly attending our tournament in December, please email me at bawilson@lsfbr.org or give me a call (225-279-3839). I can provide you with a full list of teams attending, a tournament flyer, host hotel information, and other important details at your request. Also, please let me know if you are unable to attend this year, but are interested in possibly attending next season, and we will add you to our email list.

Thank you very much for your time, and hopefully I will be in contact with some of you soon!

Barrett Mark Wilson

Deep South Bayou Duals – Tournament Director

Email: bawilson@lsfbr.org

Phone: (225) 279-3839

www.deepsouthbayouduals.com

www.bruslywrestling.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT