ADVERTISEMENT

The Death of Football

dacoach

Five Star Prospect
May 29, 2001
Folks.... we are living in a very interesting period of our lives...

In the world of concussions, permanent injuries and safety for participants.... we have now let the world of Sue-For-Some-Money completely override common sense and availability. Mark my words... the death of football - as we know it today - is upon us.

It began with the massive changes to how we treat students who might have POSSIBLY had a concussion. The progression is well debated and fairly mandated across the board. Next came the demand for safer helmets, and this too was mandated across our state as schools and districts required football teams to purchase certain helmets (most 50% more expensive) that test better at limiting concussions.

No problem so far....

Then came the news that 8 quarter players were at extrodinary risk for significant injuries, and thus, we eliminated the 8th quarter rule. This Fall we will see the catastrophic effects this will have to A and AA programs across South Carolina, and quite a bit of AAA schools, as well.

Still... not TOO much of a problem, teams will have to adjust... we didn't have 8 quarter 12 years ago and somehow football survived, so we march on... so far...

Now word goes out in the form of an email that list a plethura of "recommendations" from the National High School Federation. Word is, the SCHSL will adopt these "recommendations" but not "require" schools to abide by them - thereby covering their own butts if anything were to happen. This will put ENORMOUS stress on ADs and head coaches across SC.

Their recommendations:
- no player should be allowed to play both defense and offense in the same game
- no defensive player should be allowed to play special teams in the same game
- no offensive player should be allowed to play special teams in the same game
- no more than 60-90 minutes of contact at practice per week
- no consecutive days of contact through practice or games should be allowed

Yep, meditate on that.... no A, AA or AAA team should use the same players on offense, defense and special teams. 33 kids playing a specific position, not multiple. That's 33 - not counting subs. Good thing all of our A and AA programs across the state have 50-60 varsity players on their sidelines ready to go.

Wait, what?

Let me continue.....

Since JV games are played on Thursday nights, AND you can't have contact on consecutive days... they would only be able to hit on Tuesdays. Friday night varsity games would mean they could hit Mondays and Wednesdays... are you following along? This means your varsity and JV could not hit on the same day, therefore they couldn't effective practice together - at any time! Two completely stand-alone teams on different schedules never hitting each other or being used to field a competitive practice.

Again... I do not expect the SCHSL make these requirements of our schools, but I feel VERY confident the executive committee will "highly recommend" them which they hope will protect them from any and all lawsuits that will occur if a player gets hurt! How totally simple would it be for a kid to get hurt in the 3rd quarter and his family sue the coach, AD and school because he played both WR and DB that night, and the SCHSL had "highly recommended" schools not do that. Why? Because the NFHS clearly said it puts kids at risk! You DARE put my son AT RISK?!?!? Pay me!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So... here we are at last.... queue "Taps"..... football is dead, long live soccer.

:(:mad::eek:o_O

I agree with you. It's gonna be a slow death, but it will die.

Now, I don't think High School football will end, but the way it's conducted will. Sub-varsity will be gone in 10-15 years. Will eventually allow 1 day of practice contact per week.

boys, we are raising a class of unmasculine children and parents who are looking to get rich quick. Soon football as we know it will be 7 on 7, that is until someone accidently blows up a dig route. Get the flags, get the skirts. Then people wonder why kids are sitting inside and not playing outside.

Da coach...

Highly impressive argument. I could not agree with you more. And you're right; the only argument I can think that would save our sport would be a legally-required and binding waiver that parents must sign to signify that this is a dangerous sport that, if played correctly, can put your kid in college. I'm sure there are weaknesses in that perspective, but at least it's something.

Regardless, very well-said, Coach.

Many upstate schools are having to alter their program structure because of the elimination of the 8 quarter rule. Some of the D-Teams(middle school) will be consolidated with the C-Teams(9th grade) at some schools. Other schools will be eliminating C-Teams and carrying everyone on JV. This is really going to reduce live game opportunities for many kids.

What are some other programs doing to alter their staff if they fielded a 9th grade team? Are they now the JV coaches and JV is practicing separate from Varsity. Most places V/JV practices together and 9th grade separate. Looking like less coaching jobs might be available.

Man up football.... rub some dirt on it and drive on..... American football is uniquely "American". Its for men. Football and wrestling or about the only real man sports remaining, and the Olympics tried to remove wrestling a while back....priceless- table tennis is an Olympic sport but wrestling is not. I watch what the remainder of the pantywaist world calls "futbol" and I see their "manly" superstars like Renaldo get brushed in a match and he keels over and writhes in "pain" like someone shot him with an M-4. Political correctness is draining the testosterone out of this nation. This is just a microcosm of things to come. Man-up folks....man-up.

It's not just football, it's everything inside and outside of sports. This is what happens when a nation has too many lawyers. They all need cases, so they sit around and look for stuff to ruin.

I say we keep the American rules but take away all the protection. Like Rugby. You dont see those guys leading with the head. Because they know it will end there career. The main problem I see is players using the protection they have as a weapon to make highlight reels, impress scouts, coaches or teammates. We have all seen way to many cheap shots that were encouraged and cheered on by idiots. Yes the hits are "legal" sometimes, but are just plain cheap and unnecessary. I see too many highlight tapes that show big hits 10-20 yards behind the ball on guys that are just following the play and some kid blindsides them. I would hope that scouts would see that and be turned off.

Reactions: DuckDitchTiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT