ADVERTISEMENT

Time to go to 7 Inning Legion Games

May 12, 2017
I have always been huge on 9 inning games. Gave more kids at bats and more reps in the field. Not anymore!

After coaching and looking at some of these scores on here I think its time. If we could have unlimited roster space until June 30th then I would be fine with 9 inning games.

This is a argument and topic for another day: For all those who do not know our state is the only state along with 1-2 others that limit 18 kids during the regular season. NC can have as many players as they want on their team but come June 30th they have to cut back down to 18.

Personally for us we have 3 kids on our team that play travel ball and are pitchers only. One hasn't thrown in one game for us and the other 2 have just thrown a inning a piece. People will argue why did you take them and not the other kids. I would of a taken other kids but we only have 16 come out that wanted to play.

Legion wants to keep kids arms safe and go to Pitch Smart and they keep our rosters at 18 while keeping the same amount of innings.

This was pointed out to National when they adopted Pitch Smart. But, as with most things, they ignored the input. The only half-hearted excuse they have given for not increasing rosters is it would increase insurance costs and that would be too burdensome for teams.

However, that argument really doesn't hold water. Legion's insurance company/agent, SA Van Dyk, charges $450 for an 18 man roster. That comes to $25 per kid. So, adding two more kids would increase costs, at most, by $50. This should not unduly burden any team. And, I am sure that most parents would be happy to pay the $25 for their kids to play.

Someone really should review Legion's relationship with SA Van Dyk. In this part of the country you can insure a USSSA roster of TWENTY (20) kids for $150. I'd be curious to know if Legion gets any sort of gratuity for using SA Van Dyk.

Reducing games from 9 innings to 7 would undoubtedly save money on umpire fees, lights, etc. This should more than offset any increased insurance costs.

Let's face it, they're not gonna shorten games due to tradition, or inertia, or whatever you want to call it. But, there's no good excuse for not expanding rosters.

Cohaze how does North Carolina carry say 25 players during the regular season and we can carry only 18. All 25 of those guys have to be covered under their insurance.

I know the state director won't increase to more than 18 for the league season for some reason he has not said.

I can't remember the exact dates, but there was a period between 2005 and 2007, where SC teams WERE allowed to carry more than 18 during the regular season. I THINK this was effective for at least 2 years, but I wouldn't swear to that. Why it could be done back then, and not now, I don't know. And if they can do it in NC, I see no reason it couldn't be done here. I guess they just have better leadership up there.

Reactions: Dak43
Remember when legion was going to have state websites for all states.

A lot of games are won and lost in your relief innings, by dropping down to 7 inning games you may never face a relief pitcher. I'd definitely be for a roster increase, but from my understanding SA Van Dyke won't allow for that. That being said, I the national committee needs to take a look at other companies to see if they can better help with the new pitch count rules. I heard the rumors as to why they won't though...

Everyone: They have brain washed you!!!!!!

It has nothing to do with SA VAN DYKE until June 30th!!!!!!!!!!

If the state director wanted we could have 18+ if the state director would allow it. North Carolina allows you to have 25+

If you have 50 kids during tryouts those kids are all covered on insurance.

American Legion Baseball insurance provides coverage for all players who try out, practice or play in exhibition games; however, once the regular season has begun, only those players listed on the national electronic roster shall be covered.

So like NC has 25 players a kid gets hurt and you don't put him on the 18 man online roster then he is not covered by insurance. Then you as a coach/AD needs to figure out what is ethically right here and hopefully you won't get sued if you leave him off!

Unless its a freak accident most players will use their parents insurance. We have never had a kid ask to use our insurance when he got hurt!

If NC is carrying that many players, you would think/hope someone has looked at the policy and it does cover that many kids. Still, I'd rather see the policy myself.

I have never seen the Van Dyk policy, but most policies of this type provide fairly minimal coverage. Most also provide that they are secondary to the parents' health insurance policies. That's one reason claims are rarely filed, and the coverage is fairly cheap. My GUESS is the Van Dyk policy provides some additional catastrophic coverages, or some sort of death benefit, but those rarely come into play.

Again, National's argument that insurance is the main reason rosters cannot be expanded is BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT