ADVERTISEMENT

top 5 QBS

Hhhmm... intersting question.. and one that could be debated a million different ways.

I would say your top 2 will have to be Avery McCall (Dillion) and Austin Scott (Spartanburg). McCall could become to first QB in state history to start for 4 state championship teams. But the in-state schools are passing over him for different reasons. Scott is the QB of the defending 4A State Champs and is known for his football IQ.

After that, the arguing can begin in ernest. You have 6'4" Colin Hill from Dorman and 6'2" David Isreal of Blythewood that get a lot of publicity and hype from this site and others. You have the intriguing 6'6" kid from Liberty - Tyler Burgess. Being marketed as a Pro-Style QB but he moves around pretty danged well. There's the blazing fast and super athletic Yafari Werts of Newberry. At 5'11 he's not an ideal QB build for college, but his 4.5 speed is worth watching.

Myrtle Beach has Drayton Arnold - another 5'11" QB - who has great numbers and tests well. Carson Spiers of Greenville has great highlights and appears a bit more "college ready" at a listed 6'2" and 185 lbs.

In the Columbia area you have two Zone-Read QB's in Avery Armstrong (Dreher) and Logan Bailey (Chapin). Both are athletic, fast-enough, and throw good balls. Avery held his team together after the brawl and was even starting on defense as well the last couple of games. Bailey rushed for over 1,000 yards and threw for over 2,000. Pretty impressive considering he's running behind and throwing to Chapin kids - with the image most people have of "Chapin" athletes. Chapin did have a college-bound Shrine Bowl center and a guard that also signed to play college ball. Bailey and Armstrong were Co-Offensive Players of the Year for their region if that tells you how much they are alike.

There are probably 2 or 3 I'm not familiar with. Collin Snead of State Champion Hillcrest is out there and looked really good last season. Ashley Ridge has a 6'4", 230 monster at QB - Steven Duncan. D'Marco Zeigler of Keenan is supposed to be very athletic and has a strong arm, though I haven't had a chance to see him. Surely, there are others....

So... take your pick. Looks like our state has plenty of good ones to choose from next season!

This post was edited on 2/13 1:06 PM by dacoach

Coach...Burgess @ Liberty is a good kid, nice frame but he's skinny and unless he's changed he lets bad plays linger and affect plays afterward. Hopefully he's grown out of that. I've watched him the past 3 years.

Steven Duncan transferred back to Ashley Ridge last season. He's a big 'ol boy!

Snead, Spiers and the two QBs from Dorman and Spartan High are all legit!

I have not seen every team in this state play . But have seen a lot of them this past year . Here are my top 5 .

1. Austin Scott - Spartanburg H

2. Collin Hill - Dorman

3. Avery McCall - Dillon

4. Brandon Tillman - River Bluff

5.Stepen Duncan - Ashley Ridge

Tillman is a heck of an athlete, but no one projects him to be a QB in college. And River Bluff has played him at nearly every offensive skill position, so I didn't include him.

Duncan is back at Ashley Ridge? I'll make that correction, then. Thanks for the reminder.

No. Actually Tillman has only been QB at River Bluff. Now he has been used in different spots on defense from time to time. And defense is probably where his most impressive offers may come from. But he could play QB in the right situation in college. Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech have shown interest at QB.

I posted this last week. Those below 20 appearing unranked are simply because I don't have the amount of film I like to see on them (or in some cases had the film and they simply didn't make it in the top 20.)

1 SCOTT AUSTIN QB SPARTANBURG 6'1 190
2 HILL COLLIN QB DORMAN 6'4 200
3 MCCALL AVERY QB DILLON 6'0 190
4 BERRY JUSTIN QB WEST ASHLEY 6'0 180
5 ARNOLD DRAYTON QB MYRTLE BEACH 6'0 185
6 GREENE BRENDON QB AC FLORA 6'0 175
7 SNEED COLLIN QB HILLCREST 5'11 205
8 ZEIGLER D'MARCOS QB KEENAN 6'2 195
9 MARTIN COLE QB NATION FORD 6'3 200
10 DUNCAN STEPHEN QB ASHLEY RIDGE 6'5 225
11 SPIERS CARSON QB GREENVILLE 6'2 185
12 YOUNG MICAH QB BYRNES 5'11 175
13 CARR DANIEL QB MIDLAND VALLEY 5'10 170
14 ISRAEL DAVID QB BLYTHEWOOD 6'1 175
15 WELLS ROGAN QB FORT MILL 6'2 175
16 RUFF GREG QB SOUTH POINTE 5'8 160
17 HART BAILEY QB WANDO 6'2 165
18 BRIDGES SAWYER QB SUMMERVILLE 5'10 180
19 TILLMAN BRANDON QB RIVER BLUFF 6'2 215
20 HENDRIX NICK QB NORTH AUGUSTA 6'2 185

ARMSTRONG, AVERY QB DREHER

BAILEY LOGAN QB CHAPIN 6'0 195

BAKER DONNIE QB LEXINGTON 5'11 150

BURGESS TYLER QB LIBERTY 6'6 192

CUSANO MARIO QB GREER

DOUGLASS COLE QB DUTCH FORK 6'2 186

ESTES AUSTIN QB BELTON-HONEA PATH 5'10 150

GERALD HEATH QB J.L. MANN 6'2 195

HEGARTY AIDEN QB HILTON HEAD

JEFFERSON DOMINIQUE QB GOOSE CREEK 5'8 170

LEE RYAN QB SPRING VALLEY 6'1 190

MURDAUGH BRIAN QB COLLETON PREP 6'0 205

NELSON JAYLEN QB CAMDEN 6'0 175

OWENS KEVIN QB SPRING VALLEY 5'11 178

PARLER RICO QB DENMARK-OLAR 6'0 175

TURNER ELIJAH QB SENECA 5'10 165

WERTS YAFARI QB NEWBERRY 6'0 176
This post was edited on 2/13 2:17 PM by JB@Rivals

Coach...he played this past season at AR. They were knocked out by Hillcrest. I think he had about 3500 yards, not exactly sure how many. He left PG for tougher comp and more exposure. Sounds like he's an excellent student as well and shouldn't have any problems choosing a school. Not bad for a kid TR didn't want as a QB, huh?

olcoach

Someone better tell Coach Bennett.... I read in an interview where he said they had him playing WR and RB, then put him at QB so he would touch the ball every play. Guess he was talking about pre-season.

Just my opinion on the the top ten

1. Collin Hill
2. Austin Scott
3. Avery McCall
4. Steven Duncan
5. Drayton Arnold
6. Micah Young
7. Cole Martin
8. Collin Sneed
9. Carson Spiers
10. Brendon Greene

As for the Accuracy, Strongest arm and Scrambling

Accuracy: Austin Scott
Scrambling: Avery McCall
Strongest Arm: would be a tie between Hill and Duncan in my opinion these two are very similar both kids bring a lot to their team, both have a cannon for an arm.

As for #1 and 2 in my opinion either one could be at # 1. As I said this is just an opinion like everyone else and we all have athletes we think are better fits or better overall then others. I will also say the top 5 are FCS/FBS players in my opinion, the Bottom 5 are FCS players with possibly going FBS in the right situation. I predict 3 of the top 10 go FBS, 3/4 go FCS and the rest go Division II and No I won't say which ones go where because all have the dream of playing FBS and they should, but remember playing at the next level at any division you can still win a championship and get a ring.

This post was edited on 2/14 12:21 AM by swampfox18

JB, where do you have Tilmon ranked in terms as an Athlete? Judging by the amount interest as an OLB (Clemson, Auburn) and option QB (Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern), having that many people ahead of him seems pretty ironic or are option QBs taken out of the equation?

This post was edited on 2/16 12:20 PM by Mesh23

Originally posted by swampfox18:
Just my opinion on the the top ten

1. Collin Hill
2. Austin Scott
3. Avery McCall
4. Steven Duncan
5. Drayton Arnold
6. Micah Young
7. Cole Martin
8. Collin Sneed
9. Carson Spiers
10. Brendon Greene

As for the Accuracy, Strongest arm and Scrambling

Accuracy: Austin Scott
Scrambling: Avery McCall
Strongest Arm: would be a tie between Hill and Duncan in my opinion these two are very similar both kids bring a lot to their team, both have a cannon for an arm.

As for #1 and 2 in my opinion either one could be at # 1. As I said this is just an opinion like everyone else and we all have athletes we think are better fits or better overall then others. I will also say the top 5 are FCS/FBS players in my opinion, the Bottom 5 are FCS players with possibly going FBS in the right situation. I predict 3 of the top 10 go FBS, 3/4 go FCS and the rest go Division II and No I won't say which ones go where because all have the dream of playing FBS and they should, but remember playing at the next level at any division you can still win a championship and get a ring.

In terms of accuracy, McCall completed 71% of his passes last year. Hill definitely has a very strong arm and gets our nod as strongest arm.

As far as the comparison of Duncan and Hill, they are not similar kids other than their height. Two totally different skills sets.

There is no doubt that this is going to be a strong group of QB's in 2016. We could easily have as many as 25 quarterbacks sign LOI's at some level. As for FBS level, I don't know if we have more than two "sure" one's at this point.

Originally posted by Mesh23:
JB, where do you have Tilmon ranked in terms as an Athlete? Judging by the amount interest as an OLB (Clemson, Auburn) and option QB (Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern), having that many people ahead of him seems pretty ironic or are option QBs taken out of the equation?

This post was edited on 2/16 12:20 PM by Mesh23

Tillman will rate out higher state-wide as an "athlete" than a QB for sure. I have felt he was a safety or OLB all along but they play him where they need him. The problem on "projecting" athletes is if you don't have film on them, it's difficult to say "well, he'd be a stud" at this position or that because we just don't know. I'm sure he could play safety but playing OLB, well...I've never seen him in coverage so that is an unanswered question that is vital to ranking a player at that position.

As an "athlete" I would say he's a top three or four kid in the state.

I would tend to agree with Mesh on Tillmon. Different styles of offense produce different types of QBs. Throwing wise is he one of the 7 on 7 darlings? Maybe not. And I am not aware of much D1 talent around him at RIver Bluff for him to lean on, in making that offense go. But his overall effectiveness should place him much higher than 19th. If you just want to go by the throwing aspect, that would render Marshall's presence at Auburn meaningless as he was not much of a passer, but was a huge part of the offense in their style of play. Now Tillmon has, and will, get more impressive offers as a defensive player. But he does have very high interest as a QB from Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech has interest in him at that position as their offenses seek QBs that can run. Those two alone are a higher level than some of the interest in QBs rated much higher than him even though they may be better pure throwers. Now if we are rating QBs solely on their throwing stats, then you have a fair point. But there are different ways to skin a cat from the QB position. I sure bet Miss. St. wishes that PJ had put a pure thrower on the field against them, rather than chasing Thomas around all night long.

I would have to go with the kid from Spartanburg. He seems to have the tools. The kid from Dillon has produced, no one can argue that but like I read earlier he may be passed on for various reasons. Didn't he have some injury problems?

Just looking at the rest, taking into consideration physical attributes and what the system they are in currently will teach them for the next level, I would go with the kids from Dorman, Ashley Ridge, River Bluff and Dutch Fork.

Not sure how Bailey or Armstrong are ranked so low. Both are true dual threats. Armstrong is more polished as a passer. Bailey might be a better runner. Co-Region players of the year in the same region as the kid from Flora. What if either of those kids are throwing it to Denzell Johnson?

Tillman is a good athlete with good size. He will play OLB or SS at the next level and it could be a high level!

Originally posted by salley5:
Not sure how Bailey or Armstrong are ranked so low. Both are true dual threats. Armstrong is more polished as a passer. Bailey might be a better runner. Co-Region players of the year in the same region as the kid from Flora. What if either of those kids are throwing it to Denzell Johnson?

Tillman is a good athlete with good size. He will play OLB or SS at the next level and it could be a high level!

It's all based off of film and not stats so whom they are throwing to is irrelevant. That said, I had not seen all of Armstrong's film prior to the release of this list so I'm sure he will move up. As for Bailey, pure athlete; will not be recruited as a quarterback in my opinion but is definite Saturday caliber athlete.

Drayton Arnold should have a great year, if he is able to drag the young team up to he and Brandon Sinclair's level. All the skill player talent except those two is gone gone....

Coach...Burgess @ Liberty is a good kid, nice frame but he's skinny and unless he's changed he lets bad plays linger and affect plays afterward. Hopefully he's grown out of that. I've watched him the past 3 years.

Steven Duncan transferred back to Ashley Ridge last season. He's a big 'ol boy!

Snead, Spiers and the two QBs from Dorman and Spartan High are all legit!

Agree...I saw Burgess at the EPT Combine in Spartanburg this past weekend, and he is WAY behind the 2016 QBS in his class and way behind the 2017 QBs too, as far as fundamentals, footwork and arm strength. Needs ALOT of basics, but has potential. Problem is, he is a 2016 grad....and it's a bit late. I wish him the best, but I'm just saying.

Coach...he played this past season at AR. They were knocked out by Hillcrest. I think he had about 3500 yards, not exactly sure how many. He left PG for tougher comp and more exposure. Sounds like he's an excellent student as well and shouldn't have any problems choosing a school. Not bad for a kid TR didn't want as a QB, huh?
You mean TR turned that kid down as QB? Wow..that's all I will say. I looked at his film and he can run.....He listed on his HUDL that he is 6-2/ 215, but to me, he does not look anywhere near that height and not over 195. Is he really 6-2 215? I have not seen him in person.

You mean TR turned that kid down as QB? Wow..that's all I will say. I looked at his film and he can run.....He listed on his HUDL that he is 6-2/ 215, but to me, he does not look anywhere near that height and not over 195. Is he really 6-2 215? I have not seen him in person.

If you are talking about the Ashley Ridge QB, he is more along the 6'4"-6'5" range and probably 215-230. As for a runner, I wouldn't say he is a dual threat...lol

If you are talking about the Ashley Ridge QB, he is more along the 6'4"-6'5" range and probably 215-230. As for a runner, I wouldn't say he is a dual threat...lol
I am talking about the Timon kid....I watched film that somebody on this forum posted....

Folks.... as I said in my earlier remarks.... this is somewhat of a useless conversation. Your definition of a great QB, might not be the same as my definition of a great QB. So many high school, college and even pro teams have gone towards having a more "athletic" QB in the last 10 years that the position is too diverse to even have this argument.

The football community has tried to identify this issue by splitting labels into "Pocket Passers" and "Dual Threats". This might HELP the discussion, but it certainly doesn't end it. You have QBs like Tillmon (River Bluff), Bailey (Chapin), Dupree Hart (Northwestern) and Armstrong (Dreher) who are phenominal athletes who PLAY QB! They call the plays, they call the motions, they take the snap and then.... watchout! It could be a run, a pass, or something that is just created from a busted play that makes everyone's mouths drop open.

How could you possibly put these kids beside guys like Martin (Nation Ford), Scott (Spartanburg) and Spiers (Greenville) who take 1-step, 3-step or 5-step drops and throw lazers to skilled WRs who then catch and run for big yardage? Martin threw for 4,000 yards but still showed the ability to scramble around and make plays. I debated whether to even referring to him being a "Pocket Passer" - but this simply rienforces my point!

It's like arguing over if an apple or an orange is better - taste better, better for you, last longer, etc.

I think the athletic kids are somehow penalized by a lot of people because they appear to rely on their athletism so much. As if, since they scramble to make things happen, they aren't a "real QB." Riiiiiight...... so all the college and now pro teams scrambling to get these "dual Threat" QB's all have it wrong?

Just watch their highlights and enjoy them for what they are - great QBs that operate in their team's system. If they could not do what they do, their coaches would (hopefully!) be running a different offense! If you have a kid can take-off at a momment's notice, that defenses better crowd the line and contain - terrific! If you have a kid that can flick his wrist and hit a shoebox from 30 yds away - awesome!

But to compare the QB 1.0 to the QB 2.0 is - to me - a whole lot of wasted time....

Enjoy:
Bailey - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2817641/highlights/223405375/v2
Armstrong - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3733511/highlights/206731378/v2
Spiers - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2149050/highlights/178432375/v2
Scott - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2567688/highlights/206494377/v2

Reactions: birdcol
Folks.... as I said in my earlier remarks.... this is somewhat of a useless conversation. Your definition of a great QB, might not be the same as my definition of a great QB. So many high school, college and even pro teams have gone towards having a more "athletic" QB in the last 10 years that the position is too diverse to even have this argument.

The football community has tried to identify this issue by splitting labels into "Pocket Passers" and "Dual Threats". This might HELP the discussion, but it certainly doesn't end it. You have QBs like Tillmon (River Bluff), Bailey (Chapin), Dupree Hart (Northwestern) and Armstrong (Dreher) who are phenominal athletes who PLAY QB! They call the plays, they call the motions, they take the snap and then.... watchout! It could be a run, a pass, or something that is just created from a busted play that makes everyone's mouths drop open.

How could you possibly put these kids beside guys like Martin (Nation Ford), Scott (Spartanburg) and Spiers (Greenville) who take 1-step, 3-step or 5-step drops and throw lazers to skilled WRs who then catch and run for big yardage? Martin threw for 4,000 yards but still showed the ability to scramble around and make plays. I debated whether to even referring to him being a "Pocket Passer" - but this simply rienforces my point!

It's like arguing over if an apple or an orange is better - taste better, better for you, last longer, etc.

I think the athletic kids are somehow penalized by a lot of people because they appear to rely on their athletism so much. As if, since they scramble to make things happen, they aren't a "real QB." Riiiiiight...... so all the college and now pro teams scrambling to get these "dual Threat" QB's all have it wrong?

Just watch their highlights and enjoy them for what they are - great QBs that operate in their team's system. If they could not do what they do, their coaches would (hopefully!) be running a different offense! If you have a kid can take-off at a momment's notice, that defenses better crowd the line and contain - terrific! If you have a kid that can flick his wrist and hit a shoebox from 30 yds away - awesome!

But to compare the QB 1.0 to the QB 2.0 is - to me - a whole lot of wasted time....

Enjoy:
I would go one step farther and offer that there are four types of QBs:
Pro-Style
Dual Threat
Running
Option

A true dual threat in my opinion has both the passing AND running ability.

Running QB's strength is obviously running but is far less dangerous in passing game than the true dual threat.

Option guys are the ones out there running the flex, wishbone, triple option type of teams. Keep in mind, simply the ability to be a dangerous runner does not necessarily make a good option QB.

I would go one step farther and offer that there are four types of QBs:
Pro-Style
Dual Threat
Running
Option

A true dual threat in my opinion has both the passing AND running ability.

Running QB's strength is obviously running but is far less dangerous in passing game than the true dual threat.

Option guys are the ones out there running the flex, wishbone, triple option type of teams. Keep in mind, simply the ability to be a dangerous runner does not necessarily make a good option QB.

HHhmmm.... there's a lot of truth to that. Option QBs are often asked to flip plays and check calls, along with the multiple reads involved in the execution of the play. I would be lying if I said I understand the many aspects of the Wing-T QB in terms of calling down blocks, gap assignments, etc. So an Option QB would certainly need to be very quick in his reads and decision making.

But a classifications of just "Running" suggest that he can't throw the ball, in some manner, effectively. I haven't seen many QB's like that. Although, I have to admit, I have seen teams rotate kids in and out depending if they were throwing it or not. If QB A is in they run, but if QB B is in, they will pass. Not trying to trick you. More like daring you to stop it!

I do like the idea of Pro, DT and Opt categories.... now arguing who the best in the INDIVIDUAL categories would be a lot of fun.

How bout we give THAT a go, folks?

:p

Reactions: birdcol

Enjoy:
TOTALLY AGREE WITH you! Enjoy these to add to yours...

Enjoy:
AGREED!
Enjoy the following as well!
Watch out for Collin Sneed at Hillcrest. I think he way underrated.

I have heard great things about Collin for SURE..I hear height may be an issue there???

As far as "athletes" that play QB, I would think Daniel Carr at Midland Valley certainly fits that bill. Don't see him mentioned a whole lot, but if you have seen him play, you know he's a special talent. I wouldn't be shocked if he played on the other side of the ball at the next level though (if he doesn't choose basketball instead).

Just heard that Collin Sneed from Hillcrest may be transferring to Durham, NC and live with his uncle and play there.

ADVERTISEMENT