ADVERTISEMENT

Union County job

sadd66

Rookie
Jun 2, 2010
Will interview 10 next week before they narrow it to a final three. Five of the interviews rumored are Bryan Robinson ( UC assistant), Cedric Jeter ( Union native and Newberry assistant), Greg Lawson (Union native and Hemingway head coach), Rusty Charpia ( Brookland-Cayce HC), and Jason McManus ( South Pointe OC)

Those are going to be some short interviews if they are bringing in 10 in one day. Hard to learn much about someone in a short interview.

Reactions: sadd66
Those are going to be some short interviews if they are bringing in 10 in one day. Hard to learn much about someone in a short interview.

Gotta feeling they already know who they are going with and are just going through the motions.

if you are bringing in 10...you have no clue what you are doing & are fishing for someone to like

Agree. Don't see them interviewing 10 if they already have made a decision and just going through the legal motions

Is Greg Porter from Hillcrest not in the mix? He seems to have applied for every other job in the state. Can't imagine him passing up Union

Was he sick? Or maybe he knew somebody up there and knew he had no shot. Can't believe a decent job comes open and he didn't apply. We can't be breaking traditions like that.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Was he sick? Or maybe he knew somebody up there and knew he had no shot. Can't believe a decent job comes open and he didn't apply. We can't be breaking traditions like that.

He was in the final three last time and didn't get it. I guess he saw the writing on the wall.

Appears that the OC from South Pointe, Robinson, a current assistant on the UC staff, and Brian Thompson, DC at River Bluff in Lexington, are the final three.

Appears that the OC from South Pointe, Robinson, a current assistant on the UC staff, and Brian Thompson, DC at River Bluff in Lexington, are the final three.

Bryan Robinson, the UC assistant should get the job. He's been an assistant in the district around 17 years at both Jonesville and UC.

Maybe so. That is done often. But the folks at Union would sell themselves short not to give Brian Thompson from River Bluff a close look. Heck of a coach, as good a defensive mind as there is in the state. And a better person. Players love him. But do know that sometimes folks want to keep things in house. Only thing I can't understand is if that was the plan, why so many first interviews?

Maybe so. That is done often. But the folks at Union would sell themselves short not to give Brian Thompson from River Bluff a close look. Heck of a coach, as good a defensive mind as there is in the state. And a better person. Players love him. But do know that sometimes folks want to keep things in house. Only thing I can't understand is if that was the plan, why so many first interviews?

No big names applied throwing their mojo off on who they wanted

Looking at his bio, though, he seems to move around alot. If he got the job I don't think he would be around very long. Robinson is a very good coach and he would be in it for the long haul. That's what UC needs.

Reactions: hugecock64
Don't doubt that Union may want a local guy. But Thompson has been at River Bluff for five years. DC at Dutch Fork for a few years before that. So not exactly a vagabond. And as we all know, Tom Knotts doesnt suffers fools well. So his coaching is more than capable if he was entrusted with Knotts defense.Truth of matter is the only reason he is leaving RB is because of the dumpster fire the RB program is at present, and why he walked with 5-6 other assistants, even though none had other coaching jobs, at the end of the year. That a lot of good coaches, many veteran, well respected coaches, all walked together at the end of last season says a ton about the leadership currently in place after Bennett left. Am sure the principal is probably wishing he could have a do over on that particular hiring about now. But I can see why Union would want to go with a hometown guy that would be satisfied to stay there forever. No issue with that. Small town schools tend to go that a lot of the time.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why they passed on a hometown guy that has been a part of every state championship Union has won and has about 10 years of successful head coaching experience

I just don't understand why they passed on a hometown guy that has been a part of every state championship Union has won and has about 10 years of successful head coaching experience

Only the committee knows. Heard he was 4th on the list.

Heard he may be in play for Georgetown HC job or Conway OC job.

Understand that second interviews were held Friday on the Union job. Figure they will name their coach middle of the week.

Saw that. Was hoping Thompson would get it, but kind of thought they would give it to Robinson considering the Union/Jonesville ties.

Hold the phone folks. Not sure this is quite the done deal we thought it was last night.

Appears after the events of Monday evening that Thompson is now the new ball coach at Union. Know he will do a good job. I'm partial. But he's an excellent coach and a good man.

ADVERTISEMENT