ADVERTISEMENT

Westside and Hanna to consolidate?!?!

The consolidation had little to do with the drop off there. 2 things.
1. The gangs became more important than football. Same kind of kids now just into other things.
2. The school constantly not hiring coaches to replace some of the good coaches they had on staff there during the good run.

Cant see this happening. The only consolidation that should be done is the 1A schools. Cant understand keeping some of these small schools open. Salem in Oconee county should be combined with Walhalla, they have less than 150 kids in the school. Why would you combine to 4A schools?

Read the super's quote- that says it ALL.

"I will have 2 winners in football. If I cannot have 2 winners, I will consolidate the schools."

From what the kids are hearing from the coaches at school today this is all but a done deal.

That is NOT TRUE, Super just presented an idea to the Board of Trustees and General Public for information. Nothing more than that

Like most I do not see it happening, not a bad idea and pros/cons to both sides but as of right now it was just an idea to consider. Would take A LOT of community input and agreement to move forward

The SAD thing is that the HANNA football coaches found out from Brent Venables at practice. Who told Venables a few DAYS earlier- THE WESTSIDE COACH. But of course, he "ain't" in cahoots with TWILLY all I am sure! If "JERRY JONES" wants it to happen- IT WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then ALL the board members will sink for it while he retires and reaps the benefits!

That is NOT TRUE, Super just presented an idea to the Board of Trustees and General Public for information. Nothing more than that

Like most I do not see it happening, not a bad idea and pros/cons to both sides but as of right now it was just an idea to consider. Would take A LOT of community input and agreement to move forward

This is a GREAT POINT

The consolidation had little to do with the drop off there. 2 things.
1. The gangs became more important than football. Same kind of kids now just into other things.
2. The school constantly not hiring coaches to replace some of the good coaches they had on staff there during the good run.

doesn't sound bad on the surface. Interesting concept. The kids not getting along is no problem. They would all come together. The parents and the community as a whole would have to be behind it I guess. Ole Tommy is shaking em up anyway. go jackets. play some defense.

The Superintendent just pulled the proposal to consolidate Westside and Hanna according to the paper.

Since when is it a GREAT idea to consolidate 2 4A schools? you consolidate 1A and 2A schools but not 4A. Heck with 4A's you build another HS to make smaller!

Since when is it a GREAT idea to consolidate 2 4A schools? you consolidate 1A and 2A schools but not 4A. Heck with 4A's you build another HS to make smaller!

Agreed.

So.... you eliminate the one principal job.... that's all you're saving. Think of the hundreds of kids who would not be able to participate in high school athletics because there would not be enough room on your basketball roster, your baseball roster, tennins, roster, etc. becuase once there were two, but now there's only ONE.

Even "Big Roster" sports like football and track & field would lose players left and right because they would not try out anymore because there are 50 WRs trying out now instead of 25.

Dream opportunity for Early or the coaches. Not so much for the KIDS, though.

:oops:

Reactions: red raider alum
Agreed.

So.... you eliminate the one principal job.... that's all you're saving. Think of the hundreds of kids who would not be able to participate in high school athletics because there would not be enough room on your basketball roster, your baseball roster, tennins, roster, etc. becuase once there were two, but now there's only ONE.

Even "Big Roster" sports like football and track & field would lose players left and right because they would not try out anymore because there are 50 WRs trying out now instead of 25.

Dream opportunity for Early or the coaches. Not so much for the KIDS, though.

:oops:
Also limit opportunities in band, academic team, and all else. There are just so many spots on a roster of any kind.

Doesn't really make sense to consolidate big schools anyway. Wando should split, IMO. Places like Hampton and Estill, Denmark and Bamberg, etc. should consider consolidation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT