ADVERTISEMENT

Westside Ranked 4, Greenwood Not In Top 10?

Interesting. We will see.

Eagle I think Westside is getting a lot of props because of what they did at 7 0n 7. They are blessed with skill guys on both sides of the ball. However, there OL and DL are not that good. I know they won the lineman challenge at Byrnes. They were in last place after day one. On day two, several of the schools had lineman not come back, so Westside won on "points" because all of their lineman showed back up. Their left OT is pretty decent and that's it.

They have a better passing QB this year (that they recruited) than they had last year. He is not as athletic as the one they had last year though. Everyone in the region knows that you don't let him sit back there without making him move his feet. He will pick you a part if you do. Make him move his feet and that's a different story.

I have seen your team at several 7 0n 7's. A lot of athletes, but your QB is not that great of a passer. You can tell he is a duel threat type, but much better runner than passer. I was at the game last year at Westside. You guys dominated the line on both sides. You will again this year also.

When they come to GW, it won't be 7 0n 7. You guys will dominate again because you will control both sides of the line. That is still where the game is won.

They have a solid TE and a GREAT WR at Westside. Going to need a running game. Defensively, they have 2 studs at ILB. Front 3 will miss Telly.

You guys continue to talk about ONE game; Greenwood may very well beat Westside again this year; but will that one game matter in the long run? The football season is a marathon, not a sprint. Did the ONE game where Westside beat Hillcrest matter in the end? Not a hill of beans.

I think Greenwood has tremendous talent on their team. I really like the sophomore WR they have. I'm not sold on the QB position. I agree with jaa, he's a nice dual threat athlete, though. My hesitancy with putting Greenwood higher in the polls right now is that they HAD talent last year and sputtered out of the gates. This is Pippen's second year and I'm sure they will be fine but need to see it first. I don't understand why people see that as "lack of respect" for a team. It is not.

Everything was completely new. They're supposed to sputter. Is this really your basis? They still made it to semis.

Everything was completely new. They're supposed to sputter. Is this really your basis? They still made it to semis.
Why do th preseason polls mean so much to you?

No, that's not my only basis but it is a factor; there were things happening on that team last year that should not have happened - fundamental mistakes that had nothing to do with "newness". I think you know that.

I'm sure Greenwood will be a contender in the end, just as I pointed out.

Mostly newness to the scheme and coach. They went from run based triple option to the spread. Pretty big change for our kids. Team was fairly young, we were doing lots of rotating to find the best fit at positions. Especially qb. Through all of this, they found a way to make it to semis. Now they have a year under their belt, and many of this issues are a non issue this season. Why do I put so much stock into your preseason poll? Because I respect what you write and feel you know sc high school football better than most. But this time I disagree. 7 on 7s and combines help a lot, but they don't make us or any team for that matter. Many other things at play. Rarely threw at all in 2012 and went undefeated.

Reactions: Greenwood97
Mostly newness to the scheme and coach. They went from run based triple option to the spread. Pretty big change for our kids. Team was fairly young, we were doing lots of rotating to find the best fit at positions. Especially qb. Through all of this, they found a way to make it to semis. Now they have a year under their belt, and many of this issues are a non issue this season. Why do I put so much stock into your preseason poll? Because I respect what you write and feel you know sc high school football better than most. But this time I disagree. 7 on 7s and combines help a lot, but they don't make us or any team for that matter. Many other things at play. Rarely threw at all in 2012 and went undefeated.
I think Greenwood will be relevant. There is no doubting Dan Pippen and his track record and a guy like that in the talent rich environment that Greenwood provides could easily turn into a team that is THE team to beat every year.

I think you and I have similar thoughts, I just want to seethe 2015 product first. Which is coming very soon. Will you be there at the Bluff for that opener?

I think Greenwood will be relevant. There is no doubting Dan Pippen and his track record and a guy like that in the talent rich environment that Greenwood provides could easily turn into a team that is THE team to beat every year.

I think you and I have similar thoughts, I just want to seethe 2015 product first. Which is coming very soon. Will you be there at the Bluff for that opener?

Yes sir. I make every game.

Interesting that Westside is placed so high in poll then based on last years record with losses to Greenwood and Woodmont .Not your average power house . Granted a win over eventual state champ Hillcrest was surprising . When I asked the Hillcest faithful about the loss it was explained as the perfect storm. Lack of respect by Hillcrest and a top game out of Westside. Probably the same reason Woodmont beat Westside. What I still do not understand is your fixation on Greenwoods start last year and not their finish. The argument that Football is a marathon not a sprint seems to work in Greenwoods favor. Please claify

Ok, this is my last comment on the subject, as we are spending WAY too much time on last season. I have avoided mentioning this because I don't want to discredit any team but you guys keep mentioning "semi finals" like it is a major accomplishment.

Fact: Our current playoff system sucks. There are teams that have no business being in the playoffs. There are 52 teams in the Class 4A and 32 of those teams make the playoffs. That's right, a whopping 61.5 percent of the teams in the Class 4A make the playoffs. So, basically, if you've got a pulse, you're in. (yes, that may be exaggerating a little)

Your first round win was over a region foe who was 6-5 on the year (prior to the 1st round loss to Greenwood). Want to know how many of those six wins was over a team with a winning record? If you guessed ZERO, you were correct. So, big deal, you beat up on Laurens for the second time in consecutive weeks.

Round 2: Westwood. A team with a pretty good record coming into the game, but keep in mind, they were from a region where there were only two teams with winning records, one of which they lost to 33-3. spanked. Now, Westwood had a pretty good defense last year, that's what made them but they had an offense that was borderline lethargic. They scored points but if you watch their film, they scored points BECAUSE their defense put them in good situations.

Round 3: Semi-Finals. York. Finally, a solid football foe in the playoffs. Result? 21-6 loss.

There are a numerous things I look at when coming up with the preseason polls. I try my best not to lend too much weight to certain things and not to short change on things that should be credited.

I understand Greenwood was in first year of a new coach and system. I get it. I was probably higher on Greenwood than ANY media outlet was last season. But when YOU look at Greenwood from last year, you look at the "SUMMARY" (a team that rattled off 8 wins in a row and made it to the semi-finals.) I look at the "CONTEXT" within that story (quality of those teams and wins).

You can be upset all you want that I don't have Greenwood in the Top Ten preseason polls. But DO NOT say that it is out of disrespect. I put a lot of work in evaluating teams AND I have the utmost respect for Dan Pippen and the Greenwood program. The kids from Greenwood that come to our training camps are always among the best in camp.

And FYI, we are covering the Greenwood-Dutch Fork game live on TV for our first broadcast and, as I did last year, am picking Greenwood again!

The York game was terrible. Little too conservative in that one. Not our best showing by far, but things happen. It's cool JB. Our staff and kids understand what needs to be done to be successful. Can't wait for the start of the season. Sometimes it's good to be the underdog. No one is looking.

Reactions: Greenwood97
Injuries hurt us last year Eagle 93. Kaleb Chalmers and our starting center got hurt most of the season. It's part of the game but it makes a big difference on the high school level.

Colleges have skill players to replace starters all the time but the high school level is very limited.

Last edited:
New coach and new scheme last year. It's hard for a team to start clicking when you play teams like Dutch Fork, Dorman, Northwestern, Spartanburg and Hillcrest right off the bat.

Greenwood have conditioned well on the off-season. Greenwood look very big on both sides of football. I look for them to make a good run at state this year.

Remember when I said this back in 2012.

My greenwood people lets not look so much into pre-season polls because they mean nothing, it's just perception and opinion(not a shot at you JB you do a great job). Everybody in the state right now have the same record (0) wins (0) losses. At the end of the day you still have to get out on the field to play and prove your ranking.

JB what channel are you'll covering the Greenwood-Dutch Fork game? I had planned to drive but if I can catch on television I'll do that and save the gas.

JB what channel are you'll covering the Greenwood-Dutch Fork game? I had planned to drive but if I can catch on television I'll do that and save the gas.

Make the drive. Our team needs our support. I'm driving from Simpsonville.

Reactions: ozmoton
i just might I live in Inman and made the drive last year. River Bluff has a very impressive facility.
Yes they do. We beat ourselves last year most of the times. Will be different this season I believe.

I'm not trying to take sides... but um, pre-season polls don't mean squat.

Post-season polls are what you should worry about.

Just my humble opinion.

:D

Reactions: eagle93
You right!!! Preseason polls don't mean a thing. Westside will probably lose again to Daniel.....maybe even Lexington by the skin of their teeth. Who knows BHP might have their number this year.

You right!!! Preseason polls don't mean a thing. Westside will probably lose again to Daniel.....maybe even Lexington by the skin of their teeth. Who knows BHP might have their number this year.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about what Westside is going to do with Daniel, Lexington, or BHP...I'd focus more on what YOU are going to do with Dutch Fork, Dorman, Northwestern and Spartanburg.

Reactions: Garnet&Black24
Non region games besides all that matters is if you win the state .or did I miss read your post.

JB where can I find y'all television coverage for the Greenwood-Dutch Fork game. I will most likely make the drive but would like to still record the game if possible.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about what Westside is going to do with Daniel, Lexington, or BHP...I'd focus more on what YOU are going to do with Dutch Fork, Dorman, Northwestern and Spartanburg.

You're right. Our schedule is probably one of the most brutal out there. Wouldn't have it any other way. At least we're playing top tier competition. We could pad our schedule. Glad we don't.

You're right. Our schedule is probably one of the most brutal out there. Wouldn't have it any other way. At least we're playing top tier competition. We could pad our schedule. Glad we don't.
You're right about that; GW always plays a touch out of region schedule. Prepares them well for the playoffs. The problem is now is there are other teams IN region that are pretty good. They could probably afford to lighten the load by at least two of those teams.

You're right about that; GW always plays a touch out of region schedule. Prepares them well for the playoffs. The problem is now is there are other teams IN region that are pretty good. They could probably afford to lighten the load by at least two of those teams.
I agree JB, but it is what it is. Right now every game is a big game.

JB@Rivals where can I find the televised coverage of the Greenwood-Dutch Fork game? I noticed you said y'all will be covering it. Hopefully a third time asking is a charm, if you don't see my question this time I'm just going to give up and let it go. Fingers crossed.

JB@Rivals where can I find the televised coverage of the Greenwood-Dutch Fork game? I noticed you said y'all will be covering it. Hopefully a third time asking is a charm, if you don't see my question this time I'm just going to give up and let it go. Fingers crossed.
I thought I had answered it in an earlier post; we will be on WACH-57 locally and Time Warner WACH digital channel (not sure which channel yet).

I agree, Greenwood is playing tough teams but can not win the big ones if you don't play the big games.I think Greenwood goes to Westwood Friday .not sure of the time.

I agree, Greenwood is playing tough teams but can not win the big ones if you don't play the big games.I think Greenwood goes to Westwood Friday .not sure of the time.

Yes the do. Pippin told me the other day. 10am.

Hey JB! Since Greenwood has the second toughest schedule in the state. I don't have to worry about Dutch Fork, Dorman, Northwestern and Spartanburg. The non-region games will make Greenwood better in region regardless if we lose or not.

Not trying to upset you JB or anything but Westside is not a top 5 team in the state. Your calculations must be slightly off or something. Maybe they should be ranked 9 or 10. They have to show me that the can beat Daniel and Woodmont first.

Last edited:
Hey JB! Since Greenwood has the second toughest schedule in the state. I don't have to worry about Dutch Fork, Dorman, Northwestern and Spartanburg. The non-region games will make Greenwood better in region regardless if we lose or not.

Not trying to upset you JB or anything but Westside is not a top 5 team in the state. Your calculations must be slightly off or something. Maybe they should be ranked 9 or 10. They have to show me that the can beat Daniel and Woodmont first.

Just leave it alone. We will see in time. You're not going to change anyone's mind. The kids and coaches have to do their thing. One thing for sure, we will be very physical. I'm not worried about athletic ability, that's there. Their minds have to be on in every game. Leave JB alone buddy. It's his site and his opinion.

I was just stating my opinion about the topic. You the one who created this thread Eagle 93. Maybe you should delete it.

ADVERTISEMENT