ADVERTISEMENT

Whassup With Coach McKissick?

grenwavedoc

Five Star Prospect
Aug 17, 2001
Summerville, SC
Just reazd an article in the Post and Courier this morning and the coach supposedly stated that he was meeting with the principal, et.al. and that "he would stay if asked, or leave if asked". This doesn't sound like he is voluntarily retiring to me. Is there a possibility that someone has presented an alternative to him? Whomever is supplying the information appears to be sending mixed messages. For the sake of team cohesiveness, one would think that this matter should be resolved soon, rather than later. I would like to see a nationwide search for a new head coach, not just appointing the grandson to that position. Keeping the coaching position in the family may not be the most important aspect, considering the recent performances of the team. There comes a time when a change is good, and I believe that time is now.

Just reazd an article in the Post and Courier this morning and the coach supposedly stated that he was meeting with the principal, et.al. and that "he would stay if asked, or leave if asked". This doesn't sound like he is voluntarily retiring to me. Is there a possibility that someone has presented an alternative to him? Whomever is supplying the information appears to be sending mixed messages. For the sake of team cohesiveness, one would think that this matter should be resolved soon, rather than later. I would like to see a nationwide search for a new head coach, not just appointing the grandson to that position. Keeping the coaching position in the family may not be the most important aspect, considering the recent performances of the team. There comes a time when a change is good, and I believe that time is now.

I agree that it sounds like there are mixed signals being given, but I think he has decided to retire, I just think he is making sure the future, atleast for this season, is that Joe call is the interim HC. I actually think Coach Call is a good candidate for the job. I think he has not been allowed to do his job the way he would have liked because Coach Mckissick still pulls the reigns much more than people would think. I think there has been a lot of turmoil within the staff over the last few years and it has shown on the field. My opinion is that you give Coach Call the team this season and if he doesn't do well then you put on a search for a new coach. makes no sense to bring in a new staff with only 2 months before the first game.

I agree that it sounds like there are mixed signals being given, but I think he has decided to retire, I just think he is making sure the future, atleast for this season, is that Joe call is the interim HC. I actually think Coach Call is a good candidate for the job. I think he has not been allowed to do his job the way he would have liked because Coach Mckissick still pulls the reigns much more than people would think. I think there has been a lot of turmoil within the staff over the last few years and it has shown on the field. My opinion is that you give Coach Call the team this season and if he doesn't do well then you put on a search for a new coach. makes no sense to bring in a new staff with only 2 months before the first game.
I don't have any problem with allowing Call to coach this year, but my concern is that the team will not do well this year bacause of all the new players and it will go on ad infinitum with people saying, "he needs one more year to prove himself". I am convinced that there are a plethora of great coaches who would like to coach the Summerville team, but the decision was made when Call started at QB at Summerville that he would be the coach when McKissick retired. I can recall when John would not pass regardless of his RB's being stuffed on almost every play......yet he realized that Joe Call would ot be recruited to a college if he didn't pass. Voila! The Summerville pass was instituted. I am willing to give Call a reasonable chance, but I don't think he should be annointed as the head coach just because of his relationshop to the McKissicks.

I don't have any problem with allowing Call to coach this year, but my concern is that the team will not do well this year bacause of all the new players and it will go on ad infinitum with people saying, "he needs one more year to prove himself". I am convinced that there are a plethora of great coaches who would like to coach the Summerville team, but the decision was made when Call started at QB at Summerville that he would be the coach when McKissick retired. I can recall when John would not pass regardless of his RB's being stuffed on almost every play......yet he realized that Joe Call would ot be recruited to a college if he didn't pass. Voila! The Summerville pass was instituted. I am willing to give Call a reasonable chance, but I don't think he should be annointed as the head coach just because of his relationshop to the McKissicks.
I agree with everything you said, he shouldn't be just given the job he should earn it. that's why I say give him this season to prove he can handle the job. I also remember the offense changing the offense for him, I think they called it the green gun lol

In one of the news clips I read Big John Stated he really wanted to stay as the A.D provided Joe Call could be the Head Football coach . I would have thought that he would want to stay as coach and give up the A.D position.
Personally - I think the best thing for the Program is give Joe Call a year to year deal as head coach and let's see what he can do. Bringing in an outsider this late in the process will only cause more issues.

GO WAVE

Completely agree that bringing in a whole new staff this late in the process would be a disaster. Give him a year and see how it works.

YOU GREEN WEENIES KILL ME, YOU KNOW FATHER TIME AINT LEAVING WITHOUT JOE BEING THE MAN, GET REAL. NO NEW COACH, SAME OLD THANG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT